• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-day Gift of a Recreation of Detective Comics #31. Now what kind of career my kid can get into with her skills?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Your Community may have classes that she can attend at night or on weekends that are short-term and relatively inexpensive. They range from Art Classes like figure drawing, painting, sketching, etc. to introductory computer work. (A good grounding in Art and Design is important.)

If she's interested in computer coloring, especially comic book coloring, something like this may be of interest... it's a DVD that an established Image colorist made that goes through the entire process using Photoshop.(Besides all the stuff you can find already on YouTube.)

https://www.amazon.com/Comic-Book-Coloring-Steve-Firchow/dp/B0013TPNR2

Good Luck! 

I started my kid out by bringing her to shows and making her watch when artists sketched for me...by age 9 she was penciling, inking it and then erasing the pencil. Now she is a sophomore at Pratt Institute (I tease her it isn't even a college, it is an institute!) studying fine arts painting. She has been accepted to some traveling shows and generally seems to be killing it. $65K a year before merit scholarship! So be careful, veddy veddy careful! I am your future!

My somewhat stupid advice is to foster the talent and let her worry about her profession and how she uses it. Pratt has a lifetime vocational assistance service and places 95% of its' graduates. But jeez louise, I sent my kid to art school! (She no longer wears the beret though!)

Thank you for replies. 

I found there’s a software AutoDesk puts out “Media & Entertainment Collection” and “Sketchbook”. Maybe these softwares might be an entry point for her to go into this field. 

Thanks @Buzzetta - Shaping the talented youth of today is always fun.

~~ @vane

Your daughter did a great job on that Batman piece. (Also - Happy Birthday!)

My best advice to start her out with is, get her the Adobe programs - and a Mac if she doesn’t have one already. (There may be some PC fans here who will say they’re exactly the same now for less than half the price, but I still find the interface to be so much friendlier with Apple)

Anyway, I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign every day. I started out wanting to be a comic book artist, and ended up a fashion designer - I have no explanation how, but it’s a fun gig and I literally color every day like some glorified 6yr old. 

If your daughter really has a passion for art, and it looks like she’s on the right track, investing in the Adobe Suite programs is a great stepping stone. And as a student, I’m pretty sure she can get the subscription for like $20 a month or something like that. There are tutorials all over YouTube to get her started - That’s still my go-to for when I don’t know how to do something. Getting the entire suite will give her access to literally have facet of the art world to see what she likes best. If you want a full list of the Adobe CC programs, lemme know.

After that, I’d suggest looking into college courses taught by industry professionals - usually they teach just for fun or to supplement income cause let’s face it, art is fun but those of us driving Lamborghinis are few and far between. 

I won’t say you need a specialized art college, but if she decides to go that route, keep a steady balance of art courses and business courses (which I wish I did).

Ok, before this reply becomes a novel, I’ll quit here. I’m happy to answer any questions ya have.

Edited by PeteFromPetesBasement
Forgot to tag the person who initially posted

4 minutes ago, PeteFromPetesBasement said:

Thanks @Buzzetta - Shaping the talented youth of today is always fun.

~~

Your daughter did a great job on that Batman piece. (Also - Happy Birthday!)

My best advice to start her out with is, get her the Adobe programs - and a Mac if she doesn’t have one already. (There may be some PC fans here who will say they’re exactly the same now for less than half the price, but I still find the interface to be so much friendlier with Apple)

Anyway, I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign every day. I started out wanting to be a comic book artist, and ended up a fashion designer - I have no explanation how, but it’s a fun gig and I literally color every day like some glorified 6yr old. 

If your daughter really has a passion for art, and it looks like she’s on the right track, investing in the Adobe Suite programs is a great stepping stone. And as a student, I’m pretty sure she can get the subscription for like $20 a month or something like that. There are tutorials all over YouTube to get her started - That’s still my go-to for when I don’t know how to do something. Getting the entire suite will give her access to literally have facet of the art world to see what she likes best. If you want a full list of the Adobe CC programs, lemme know.

After that, I’d suggest looking into college courses taught by industry professionals - usually they teach just for fun or to supplement income cause let’s face it, art is fun but those of us driving Lamborghinis are few and far between. 

I won’t say you need a specialized art college, but if she decides to go that route, keep a steady balance of art courses and business courses (which I wish I did).

Ok, before this reply becomes a novel, I’ll quit here. I’m happy to answer any questions ya have.

You forgot to tag @vane - I am getting on the train soon so I can get my breakfast at Sunac... and I have a video of a homeless guy having a BBQ (blazing fire and all) on the L train Platform at First to to show you. 

giphy.gif

On 4/3/2019 at 5:04 AM, Buzzetta said:

You forgot to tag @vane - I am getting on the train soon so I can get my breakfast at Sunac... and I have a video of a homeless guy having a BBQ (blazing fire and all) on the L train Platform at First to to show you. 

giphy.gif

Good ole L train. Im on that everday too, 8th ave to halsey.

Very cool piece! Game development is another path she could take. Good concept artists are always needed but also some of the most competitive positions. There are a lot of aspects of game dev she could consider in art; animation, character artist, environment art and concept art just to name a few. Depending on the studio and the game, pay can be pretty good and will pay out bonuses if the game does well enough. 

Really nice!

teenage daughter = High School?  if so, has she talked to any counselors/advisors? They may know contacts for further info if they don't have knowledge themselves.

What about local colleges? Maybe you/her could write to their Communications/Arts/other departments for info on what they offer or any other general advice,