• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-day Gift of a Recreation of Detective Comics #31. Now what kind of career my kid can get into with her skills?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Good ole L train. Im on that everday too, 8th ave to halsey.

8th to Bedford - home of Hipsterville...

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Well done, Buzztard.  It was nice of you to do that.  Washayoufeetzi.

I miss you too. Taboot Taboot

12360407_10153307748522963_4030415934059112018_n.jpg

On 4/3/2019 at 1:57 AM, PeteFromPetesBasement said:

Thanks @Buzzetta - Shaping the talented youth of today is always fun.

~~ @vane

Your daughter did a great job on that Batman piece. (Also - Happy Birthday!)

My best advice to start her out with is, get her the Adobe programs - and a Mac if she doesn’t have one already. (There may be some PC fans here who will say they’re exactly the same now for less than half the price, but I still find the interface to be so much friendlier with Apple)

Anyway, I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign every day. I started out wanting to be a comic book artist, and ended up a fashion designer - I have no explanation how, but it’s a fun gig and I literally color every day like some glorified 6yr old. 

If your daughter really has a passion for art, and it looks like she’s on the right track, investing in the Adobe Suite programs is a great stepping stone. And as a student, I’m pretty sure she can get the subscription for like $20 a month or something like that. There are tutorials all over YouTube to get her started - That’s still my go-to for when I don’t know how to do something. Getting the entire suite will give her access to literally have facet of the art world to see what she likes best. If you want a full list of the Adobe CC programs, lemme know.

After that, I’d suggest looking into college courses taught by industry professionals - usually they teach just for fun or to supplement income cause let’s face it, art is fun but those of us driving Lamborghinis are few and far between. 

I won’t say you need a specialized art college, but if she decides to go that route, keep a steady balance of art courses and business courses (which I wish I did).

Ok, before this reply becomes a novel, I’ll quit here. I’m happy to answer any questions ya have.

Thanks Pete. I will relay your advice to her.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:11 AM, csaag said:

Really nice!

teenage daughter = High School?  if so, has she talked to any counselors/advisors? They may know contacts for further info if they don't have knowledge themselves.

What about local colleges? Maybe you/her could write to their Communications/Arts/other departments for info on what they offer or any other general advice,

Yes- she's a junior in high school. Next year she will try to get into AP art class. Thanks!

Seriously look into local 829. Can be a storyboard artist, scenic artist, art director, draftsman, model maker etc.. for film and tv shows. All it takes is an application and passing a test. Might take a few trys but it is worth it. Once you get your union card your in even if you want to do something else.