• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do older comics get graded differently than modern?

12 posts in this topic

Older books sometimes get a bump just for being old and modern books get no break.I have seen modern books get creamed for a piece of dust on them lol

This has certainly been a hot topic for quite some time. From what I recall, books from the Golden Age and Silver Age are viewed slightly differently than modern books. But this is usually because certain flaws are more common on certain books from each era. For instance, Silver Age Marvels are given some leeway for Marvel chipping because it's such a common flaw on those books. And there are modern books that all have the same production flaw, such as a light indent on the right edge. But please bear in mind that a VF or better book from any era should still be an extremely attractive copy...  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, comicjack said:

Older books sometimes get a bump just for being old and modern books get no break.I have seen modern books get creamed for a piece of dust on them lol

Can you guys both look at my post in comic grading about invincible ironman and give me your opinion

The comic is selling for 750.00

Thanks

Not buying it cus I like it but its resale value in twenty years

12 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

If you are dead set on a comic for this I understand, but if your motives are purely financial profit, I cannot encourage you enough to take that $750 and put it into a mutual fund or the stock market if you will be sitting on it for twenty years. I don't think you are going to see 8% return on Invincible Iron Man #1. 

Thank you😊

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

If you are dead set on a comic for this I understand, but if your motives are purely financial profit, I cannot encourage you enough to take that $750 and put it into a mutual fund or the stock market if you will be sitting on it for twenty years. I don't think you are going to see 8% return on Invincible Iron Man #1. 

I dunno... A substantial number of keys (perhaps not an IM 1) have seen a greater ROI than nearly all stocks in recent years. Not saying its sustainable in the extreme long term but collectibles in general are becoming a fairly viable addition to any portfolio.

1 hour ago, Darkwing7869 said:

I dunno... A substantial number of keys (perhaps not an IM 1) have seen a greater ROI than nearly all stocks in recent years. Not saying its sustainable in the extreme long term but collectibles in general are becoming a fairly viable addition to any portfolio.

I'm new to collecting so I'm yet to familiarize myself with the long term game