• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella #1 (1969) 1st app of Vampirella
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Thank you for posting a copy of this extremely hot book---one of my personal favorites. From what I can tell, I think your estimate is pretty accurate. Spine stress and staple wear is very common for this book, and the back cover almost always has some kind of wear which is visible in the red areas. A nice solid copy. 4.5 - 5.0 seems reasonable to me...

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

What looks like may be a spine roll and a fair amount of general wear places this copy in the 4.0-4.5 range for me.

On a total side note, I've always been curious who drew the little image for Vampirella by the logo.  Anyway, nice book!

Hmmm...a good question. I always assumed it was Frazetta, but maybe not..?

12 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Hmmm...a good question. I always assumed it was Frazetta, but maybe not..?

I never thought it was Frazetta. Frazetta was not originally the cover artist for Vampirella #1. Alan Gourdon, a pin-up artist, was slated for the cover. Frazetta's cover was substituted instead and that top left corner Vampy probably remained from what was the original by Gourdon layout. Interesting to note is that with issue #2, the Vampy image (face) changed. Now the same face Frazetta drew for Vampy on the substituted cover of #1 is used on each issue beginning with #2, replacing the one from issue #1. I used to have an image of Vampirella #1 with a different cover. The face of the Vampi on the cover matched the one in the top left box. Have to see if I can locate it if I still have it (computer crashes, lost discs, broken drives, etc.).

13 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I never thought it was Frazetta. Frazetta was not originally the cover artist for Vampirella #1. Alan Gourdon, a pin-up artist, was slated for the cover. Frazetta's cover was substituted instead and that top left corner Vampy probably remained from what was the original by Gourdon layout. Interesting to note is that with issue #2, the Vampy image (face) changed. Now the same face Frazetta drew for Vampy on the substituted cover of #1 is used on each issue beginning with #2, replacing the one from issue #1. I used to have an image of Vampirella #1 with a different cover. The face of the Vampi on the cover matched the one in the top left box. Have to see if I can locate it if I still have it (computer crashes, lost discs, broken drives, etc.).

I'd be interested in seeing that, JJ...

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I took a look at where it would be if saved. I'm sure I did. But I think it was probably to documents or pictures on one of many PCs that crashed and burned over the years, even two of my portable HDs for backup crashed as well. I've probably lost more files than I have saved!   :pullhair: 

I do remember it being on a site that featured unpublished covers. I looked, but none I've seen so far look familiar. I wasn't specifically looking for anything Vampi or Frazetta related, the art was included on site showing unpublished covers.

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm pretty sure I had the image saved on a 3.5 inch disc that's long gone. They always broke. Here's what I remember if I'm doing so correctly (saw all this about 20 years ago).

Aslan was supposed to be the original cover artist for #1 (aka/Alain Gourdon). They wound up using Frazetta's cover instead. Aslan's cover looked a lot like the cover for Vampirella Annual 1972. Interesting to note is that the face that appears in the upper lefty corner of Vampirella #1. In following issues, the face that Frazetta drew on his Vampirella appears instead in the upper left box.   Now, if we look at Vampirella 1972 Annual's back cover, the face on the Vampirella hobby kit (model) is the same as the one in the upper left on Vampirella #1.

My memory is that the Vampi Annual 1972 cover, by Aslan, or one very similar to it, was the unpublished original cover for the #1. 

Vampiannual.jpg

VampiHobbykit2.png

VAMPIRELLA-PUB.jpg