Which Sentry #1 to buy?
0

19 posts in this topic

50 posts

Hey Guys,

Im planning on buying a 9.8 Sentry #1 do any of you have any idea which cover would be the best to “invest” in?

-Normal version

-Variant version

-San Diego comic-con version

I’m new to the modern books collecting and I just want to see what you all think about this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,024 posts

Best answer? None of them. Buying comics to "invest"...especially anything printed after about 1975, with very few exceptions...is a very bad idea, especially when the book in question is currently "hot." 

If you want to "invest" in comics, buy Gold and Silver Age keys in the best shape you can afford.

All that said, the variant is likely the "hardest" one to find, and probably has the most upside, given current sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,785 posts

That variant cover is awful. That's probably why is sells for less than the regular or SDCC.   I personally like the regular black cover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,024 posts
24 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

That variant cover is awful. That's probably why is sells for less than the regular or SDCC.   I personally like the regular black cover. 

WHA....??

You don't like "Artie Rosen" and his "classic" cover....?

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 posts
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Best answer? None of them. Buying comics to "invest"...especially anything printed after about 1975, with very few exceptions...is a very bad idea, especially when the book in question is currently "hot." 

If you want to "invest" in comics, buy Gold and Silver Age keys in the best shape you can afford.

All that said, the variant is likely the "hardest" one to find, and probably has the most upside, given current sales.

Yeah, I’ve invested in multiple key Silver and Bronze Age books. This is just a book that I can see being valuable as the years go by. Especially if he makes a MCU appearance. He’s got a LOT of potential to become the marvel Superman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,264 posts
1 hour ago, LSN said:

Yeah, I’ve invested in multiple key Silver and Bronze Age books. This is just a book that I can see being valuable as the years go by. Especially if he makes a MCU appearance. He’s got a LOT of potential to become the marvel Superman. 

Gotta disagree with this. Sentry is a character best used in small doses based on his power set and backstory. Don't think he will be a major player for those reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,785 posts

Does Sentry have that much of a  fan base / following?  There are better moderns to buy in 9.8 IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099 posts
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Does Sentry have that much of a  fan base / following?  There are better moderns to buy in 9.8 IMO.

Yes.  He has a big following.  Some people (not me) think he's the next "Moon Knight" his following is so fanatical.  Also, the black cover is a nightmare.  I don't think that black cover is a bad buy in 9.8 condition and wouldn't let people dissuade me from purchasing one in favor of the SDCC or the regular variant.  Every few months there has been some Hulu, netflix, blah blah rumor/conjecture/speculation.  I would try and target a time when people are not talking about this character (like you probably shouldn't have started a thread about Sentry) if I was trying to snag a copy during a price dip. lol If you just want a pretty NM copy, I see them generally cheap at conventions/shows and generally snag them when I do, but I wouldn't play the I'll buy raw and sub a 9.8 game with the black cover.  If you want one of the other books, I would definitely consider buying raw and subbing it.  My 2 cents. :preach:

Edited by Nico Esq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,024 posts
2 hours ago, LSN said:

Yeah, I’ve invested in multiple key Silver and Bronze Age books. This is just a book that I can see being valuable as the years go by. Especially if he makes a MCU appearance. He’s got a LOT of potential to become the marvel Superman. 

As MadGenius said above, that doesn't really seem to be the case. The character's been around for 19 years, and was the product of a fairly strange "hoax." An interesting one, but one that didn't fool anyone for any length of time. Not that something can't be done with the character...that's certainly proven to be true with other characters...but it's quite the longshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,024 posts
7 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Also, the black cover is a nightmare. 

All three have solid color schemes (front or back) that make hiding flaws difficult. Due to the nature of collecting in the year 2000, you're just as likely to find very high grade copies of any of them. 

11 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

If you just want a pretty NM copy, I see them generally cheap at conventions/shows and generally snag them when I do, but I wouldn't play the I'll buy raw and sub a 9.8 game with the black cover.  If you want one of the other books, I would definitely consider buying raw and subbing it. 

Keeping in mind that the "buying ultra high grade and subbing to get 9.8s", while a very worthwhile strategy for those who are able to do it, isn't (necessarily) an investment plan, but an income plan: you're working for that money, which is available right now, as opposed to hoping that it grows in value over the course of time. I say this not for your sake, because I know you know this, but for the sake of those unfamiliar with this aspect of the industry. 

It's not quite arbitrage...a raw and a slabbed 9.8 aren't the same thing, even if the underlying book is the same...but it's kin to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,580 posts

I for one really like the variant for #1 because of it fitting in the theme of the hoax that went on with the original marketing of the character. This one will be the one that jumps the most if anything ever comes of the Sentry media wise. I'd assume it's rarer than the SDCC. The regular #1 is fairly easy to find, but like others have mentioned, it's a black cover that's known for having visible spine ticks. 

I'd go with the variant in 9.8 at current prices if the regular is selling for more. It won't stay that way. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,933 posts
8 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I for one really like the variant for #1 because of it fitting in the theme of the hoax that went on with the original marketing of the character. This one will be the one that jumps the most if anything ever comes of the Sentry media wise. I'd assume it's rarer than the SDCC. The regular #1 is fairly easy to find, but like others have mentioned, it's a black cover that's known for having visible spine ticks. 

I'd go with the variant in 9.8 at current prices if the regular is selling for more. It won't stay that way. 

 

As mentioned earlier, it does not have high cover appeal. The regular cover is pretty nice however.

I think it's a good book to own, but unless Marvel does something more with him it won't ever be that big and might go the opposite way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,814 posts
On 4/1/2019 at 1:08 PM, Catwomancomics said:

Does Sentry have that much of a  fan base / following?  There are better moderns to buy in 9.8 IMO.

I for one think he's the most interesting new Marvel character from the last 25+ years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099 posts
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I for one think he's the most interesting new Marvel character from the last 25+ years.

Remember me saying "Some people (not me) think he's the next "Moon Knight" his following is so fanatical."  lol  People love this dude.  I got a guy at my LCS that is comparably diehard when it comes to Sentry.  To that end, I say rock on! . :headbang:    

Edited by Nico Esq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,673 posts
On 4/1/2019 at 6:51 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Best answer? None of them. Buying comics to "invest"...especially anything printed after about 1975, with very few exceptions...is a very bad idea, especially when the book in question is currently "hot." 

If you want to "invest" in comics, buy Gold and Silver Age keys in the best shape you can afford.

All that said, the variant is likely the "hardest" one to find, and probably has the most upside, given current sales.

Out of the loop...why is this character/book gaining steam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,785 posts
7 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Out of the loop...why is this character/book gaining steam?

There are quite a few books gaining steam based on speculation of what might happen with Marvel after Avengers End Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,785 posts
28 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I for one think he's the most interesting new Marvel character from the last 25+ years.

 

30 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I for one think he's the most interesting new Marvel character from the last 25+ years.

New Avengers 2005 series was the only books I've read with Sentry.  He's had a few mini series and some team Avenger books. He has never had his own on going title.  That's why I believe there are better options to invest in for 9.8s.  Based on the fact that Disney/Marvel want a more diverse universe in the MCU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,785 posts
On 4/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, LSN said:

. He’s got a LOT of potential to become the marvel Superman. 

IMHO, this is what hurts the Sentry the most as a MCU character.  DC has already put Superman on the big screen. I'm not sold on Marvel wanting to put their own version of a Superman  character in a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0