• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached word balloons - glue them back or not?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Just received a nice page from the late '80s.  As typical for that period a few of the word balloons have come off.  The seller had duly warned me and included the balloons (all originals) in the parcel, so no problem there.  Now classic question: should I just leave it alone (there is art underneath, with just a bit of tanning around where the balloons used to be).  Or have it professionally restored? The page is a few thousand dollars worth, and will rest safely in a portfolio.

Suggestions? What do you guys normally do in cases like this?

Carlo

I've used egg white to reattach them, ten years later, still on and no side effects. I figure if it was good enough during the Renaissance for sticking gold leaf to surfaces, it's good enough for me.

White eggs....I might try that after proper testing!

So I take it the vote would be try and restore the piece, so long as it is done properly.  I guess it makes sense, comc OA is after all combination of words and pictures...

1 minute ago, Carlo M said:

White eggs....I might try that after proper testing!

So I take it the vote would be try and restore the piece, so long as it is done properly.  I guess it makes sense, comc OA is after all combination of words and pictures...

Probably stating the obvious, but the rubber cement that attached the balloons in the first place and is yellowing/discoloring, won't fade and might continue to darken.  If this staining goes beyond the edges of where the word balloon is reattached, you might not have a pleasing result.  Perhaps having the glue stains professionally removed or at least neutralized might be the best (but more expensive!) option.

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Probably stating the obvious, but the rubber cement that attached the balloons in the first place and is yellowing/discoloring, won't fade and might continue to darken.  If this staining goes beyond the edges of where the word balloon is reattached, you might not have a pleasing result.  Perhaps having the glue stains professionally removed or at least neutralized might be the best (but more expensive!) option.

Yeah I am leaning towards having the job done professionally.  The staining is quite confined to where the balloon was, so maybe there is no need to have the staining removed.  Not sure I can get that kind of treatment here in Italy.  Balloons reattached with acid free glue, probably yes, stain removal....mmmmhhh maybe not.

But in general I think a comic book page should have the balloons on, if still available.  For me looking at the text is quite a big part of my enjoyment of comic OA.