• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #1 9.9 vs Iron Man #1 9.0 WP

Spawn vs Iron Man  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be my first 4-figure comic purchase?

• Spawn #1 CGC 9.9
    • Iron Man #1 CGC 9.0(+) WP

27 posts in this topic

Fwiw, even though you like Spawn, I would really steer away from the #1 9.9. 

Agree with @MadGenius above that 4 figures for a 9.9 when there are that many other 9.9s and a few 10.0s imo is overpriced, given 9.8s are like $150 books. Even aside from the subjectivity angle of 9.8 v 9.9 v 10.0...

So many Spawn 1s out there. Just get yourself a 9.8 and spend the remaining $900+ on another really nice IM1 WP book. I think if you spent up for the 9.9, as you get more into buying slabs and understanding the market, you’ll regret the decision and think you could’ve gotten a lot better value for your money. 

But end of the day, do what’ll make you happiest. 

8 hours ago, CKinTO said:

Fwiw, even though you like Spawn, I would really steer away from the #1 9.9. 

Agree with @MadGenius above that 4 figures for a 9.9 when there are that many other 9.9s and a few 10.0s imo is overpriced, given 9.8s are like $150 books. Even aside from the subjectivity angle of 9.8 v 9.9 v 10.0...

So many Spawn 1s out there. Just get yourself a 9.8 and spend the remaining $900+ on another really nice IM1 WP book. I think if you spent up for the 9.9, as you get more into buying slabs and understanding the market, you’ll regret the decision and think you could’ve gotten a lot better value for your money. 

But end of the day, do what’ll make you happiest. 

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the post.

FWIW, I left out that I was looking at an SS 9.9. Only 7 on the census.

If I go big on a Spawn #1, I'll just wait until then end of time for one of the Gem Mints to pop up at auction.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the post.

FWIW, I left out that I was looking at an SS 9.9. Only 7 on the census.

If I go big on a Spawn #1, I'll just wait until then end of time for one of the Gem Mints to pop up at auction.

Ah I see your point, yes, there's a bit more value in a Macfarlane SS 9.9.... Cool book. Have you looked at the B&W variant for Spawn #1? It was technically a reprint though CGC doesn't notate it that way (was a 1:50 retailer incentive for Spawn #65)  They go for a lot more, but it's been on my list to pick up at some point when I can find a good deal.

8 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Ah I see your point, yes, there's a bit more value in a Macfarlane SS 9.9.... Cool book. Have you looked at the B&W variant for Spawn #1? It was technically a reprint though CGC doesn't notate it that way (was a 1:50 retailer incentive for Spawn #65)  They go for a lot more, but it's been on my list to pick up at some point when I can find a good deal.

I've looked at that one before, and it doesn't interest me at all. Outside of very rare instances - I don't like variants. It's one thing that pre-modern books have a huge draw to me. I like not having to look at, or choose, between multiple covers.

:angel:Forgive me since I skipped over everyone's comments and just answered. I would have gotten the Iron man since I have the Spawn. But it doesn't matter what I would do. or even advise. You be you and follow your heart little brother<3

:devil: Kick that angels A $$ to the curb.steal a  9.9 iron man and spawn and spend the cheddar on strippers and blow:jokealert:

On 11/29/2019 at 11:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

What did you wind up getting? 

Neither. lol

I'm no longer interested in the Spawn #1 9.9, though. I was crazy to consider it. Shows how much I've learned even in the last 6 months.

I'll get both a Spawn #1 SS 9.8 and an Iron Man #1 9.0+ sometime in the future, but my focus right now is on collected editions, and firearms...