• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant is awesome... so...

48 posts in this topic

Valiant is an awesome universe, with the standard problem that because it isn't Marvel, DC, or Image, it doesn't have enough readers.  At $3.99 each, a collection of 591 Valiant books from 2012-2018 would be $2,358.

Digital, though... it's currently 591 books for $60.

https://www.newsarama.com/44546-buy-all-the-modern-valiant-entertainment-comics-on-a-usb-stick.html

(thumbsu

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

April fools? No pre unity stuff?

Not an April fools, just unfortunate timing.

The current Valiant Universe (2012-2018) is completely available for digital (for more than a week now):  http://www.gitcorp.com/valiantcdcbc.html

The 1990s stuff isn't part of the focus for the current Valiant ownership (DMG Entertainment).

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Unlike humble bundle,  looks like there is drm... not sure how you would transfer these...

If you're only spending a dime a book, is it that much of a problem that you can't transfer them? Anyone, it's on a drive and limited to 500, so you could always sell the drive if you find that you don't like them or don't plan to re-read. There are enough Valiant collectors that you might possibly be able to re-sell at a premium. I imagine these will sell out.

The "platinum version" is limited to 500 for $90 and comes with "physical stuff" (X-O #1 reprint, 12 "filmcards"), so it will be interesting to see if the X-O #1 reprints (presumably limited to 500 copies) make up the $30 difference in the back issue market.

http://www.gitcorp.com/valiant-cdcbc-platinum-limited-edition.html

33 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you're only spending a dime a book, is it that much of a problem that you can't transfer them? Anyone, it's on a drive and limited to 500, so you could always sell the drive if you find that you don't like them or don't plan to re-read. There are enough Valiant collectors that you might possibly be able to re-sell at a premium. I imagine these will sell out.

Yes, that is very cool.  I just like reading digital comics on my ipad... this isn't any use to me if I have to plug the usb device in as I read it.  That is a little annoying.   If it can copy over, then yes I will buy it. 

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Valiant is an awesome universe, with the standard problem that because it isn't Marvel, DC, or Image, it doesn't have enough readers.  At $3.99 each, a collection of 591 Valiant books from 2012-2018 would be $2,358.

https://www.newsarama.com/44546-buy-all-the-modern-valiant-entertainment-comics-on-a-usb-stick.html

(thumbsu

how does the new valiant universe compare to the old one. I've been curious to try it out but wasn't sure what to expect. Also have some of the title been rebooted in this time frame etc?

29 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

(thumbsu

how does the new valiant universe compare to the old one. I've been curious to try it out but wasn't sure what to expect. Also have some of the title been rebooted in this time frame etc?

Dinesh Shamdasani (on this board as @dinesh_s ) was the Chief Creative Officer for Valiant 2012 to early 2018, and he was (already) a huge Valiant fan before, so most Valiant fans have been very happy with his revival of Valiant characters (using the best from the 1990s).  None of the Valiant Universe has been rebooted within the 2012-Present universe, though several have had new #1s for limited series that continued earlier stories. For example, everything that happened in the X-O Manowar 2012 series still happened within the X-O Manowar 2017 series, even though the numbering started over at #1.  DMG took over Valiant in early 2018, so there have been "deviations" from the original plans starting in early 2018, but the vast majority of the 591 books from 2012 to 2018 are consistent with @dinesh_s and his team's vision.

It's not a perfect metaphor to say that Valiant 2012 is like the Marvel Ultimate reboots, but there are similarities. X-O Manowar #1 from 1992 had several very dated concepts (tech, for instance) and Aric the Visigoth (400 A.D.) was more of a "brute/barbarian", where the X-O Manowar #1 from 2012 is more like the Ultimate Spider-man reboot keeping the core concepts but moving them into the modern time period. Aric (in the 2012 series) was a skilled Visigoth warrior (400 A.D.) before obtaining the X-O Manowar (armor) so the "brute/barbarian" storyline was tweaked to show his maturity from brash young warrior to mature superpower (2012) rather than barbarian to modern man (1992).

Edited by valiantman

I have watched Valiant unfold monthly since 2012, some of it agonizing between series (months of time off), so I'm anxious to re-read everything 2012-2018 without breaks.  "Binge-reading" Valiant will probably produce a whole new level of appreciation for me, since I also know where some of the foreshadowing or clues happened later, and I wasn't able to pick up on them the first time through.

It might be April Fool's Day, but this seems more like a Groundhog Day scenario as I think about doing the re-read. :grin:

34 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Dinesh Shamdasani (on this board as @dinesh_s ) was the Chief Creative Officer for Valiant 2012 to early 2018, and he was (already) a huge Valiant fan before, so most Valiant fans have been very happy with his revival of Valiant characters (using the best from the 1990s).  None of the Valiant Universe has been rebooted within the 2012-Present universe, though several have had new #1s for limited series that continued earlier stories. For example, everything that happened in the X-O Manowar 2012 series still happened within the X-O Manowar 2017 series, even though the numbering started over at #1.  DMG took over Valiant in early 2018, so there have been "deviations" from the original plans starting in early 2018, but the vast majority of the 591 books from 2012 to 2018 are consistent with @dinesh_s and his team's vision.

It's not a perfect metaphor to say that Valiant 2012 is like the Marvel Ultimate reboots, but there are similarities. X-O Manowar #1 from 1992 had several very dated concepts (tech, for instance) and Aric was more of a "brute/barbarian", where the X-O Manowar #1 from 2012 is more like the Ultimate Spider-man reboot keeping the core concepts but moving them into the modern time period. Aric (in the 2012 series) was a skilled warrior before obtaining the X-O Manowar (armor) so the "brute/barbarian" storyline was tweaked to show his maturity from brash young warrior to mature superpower (2012) rather than barbarian to modern man (1992).

Thank you, sounds like it's worth checking out. As much as I love the stories from 1992 and beyond, they are a bit dated so maybe this is the fix I've been looking for.

From Git Corp:  No files can be transfered off the USB drive, it is part of the DRM Technology.....Please understand in order for us to offer complete digital comic book collections, we have to offer the publisher excellent security.  When purchasing one download digital issue at a time, the publisher is more generous then with hundreds of issues at a time.

Also we are producing the USB drive to work will all devices - WIN, MAC, IOS and ANDROID, providing your units meet the software requirements. (see our website, click on file format button), but you will need the USB present when using it with any devic

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

From Git Corp:  No files can be transfered off the USB drive, it is part of the DRM Technology.....Please understand in order for us to offer complete digital comic book collections, we have to offer the publisher excellent security.  When purchasing one download digital issue at a time, the publisher is more generous then with hundreds of issues at a time.

Also we are producing the USB drive to work will all devices - WIN, MAC, IOS and ANDROID, providing your units meet the software requirements. (see our website, click on file format button), but you will need the USB present when using it with any devic

So what happens when USB goes away? You can't read any more, I guess?

I was all over the original Valiant universe from the beginning, but I haven't kept up much with the new Valiant. I've been meaning to. This might be my best bet.

Also, over the weekend I bought an X-O #50 out of a dollar box, opened it up, and there was a sketch inside...

Anyone know how rare these are? There's hardly any info on Ebay that I can find, or a thread dedicated to these. If there is I would love to see it..

```1.jpg

11 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I was all over the original Valiant universe from the beginning, but I haven't kept up much with the new Valiant. I've been meaning to. This might be my best bet.

Also, over the weekend I bought an X-O #50 out of a dollar box, opened it up, and there was a sketch inside...

Anyone know how rare these are? There's hardly any info on Ebay that I can find, or a thread dedicated to these. If there is I would love to see it..

```1.jpg

Interesting. Put it up for sale with a high asking price and see what happens. There should be a number of valiant fanboys and fangirls that still pay top dollar for rare/one of a kind items.

15 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

```1.jpg

All copies of X-O #47 - X-O #50 came with a micro-print, but the lucky ones had original artwork instead. :foryou:

Here's some discussion from 2016 (about the prints and the originals): http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48431

A book with an original artwork was sold on Ebay at that time for $45.

Edited by valiantman

Thanks! 

I read the thread. I'm a little surprised there weren't more posted...

Also, most were black and white, and not all that detailed. 

I actually do feel lucky getting this one out of a dollar box even though I'm not at all familiar with the character. Maybe this is the cosmos's way of pulling me into new Valiant...

I also pulled an Archie #1 (coverless) out of the same booth for one american dollar. I posted about it in the Golden Age forum for anyone interested in seeing how clueless I was to what I'd found. lol 

````1.jpg