• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers abusing eBay feedback system as revenge for paying "too much."

73 posts in this topic

So, today I got hit with another "not 5 star" feedback rating for "item as described", even though I have only been selling CGC slabs which, by nature, are automatically "as described." There's no reason , assuming there are no shenanigans, why any rating less than "5" for "item as described" should be left, because the buyer is getting exactly what they bought: a copy of so and so graded in such and such a grade by CGC.

"But what if the book isn't graded properly??" Not the seller's fault. The seller didn't grade the book...a third party did. The buyer's issue is with the third party...not the seller. 

"But what if the book is damaged in shipping??" Then that's a separate issue, and does not fall under "item as described" UNLESS the damage is directly caused by the seller's negligence (not just mishandling by the carrier.)

It has become clear to me that buyers are using detailed seller ratings as revenge for paying more than they wanted to pay. Both buyers expressed complaints about the price of the book before they bought it, and both buyers left "less than 5" stars for "item as described", since that's the only rating they can leave (all the others are automatic 5 stars in those cases.)

eBay, of course, is, as in all things, completely corrupt and utterly worthless, because buyers are "allowed to leave honest feedback about their feelings on the transaction."

But this isn't honest feedback. It's bad faith spite. 

and there's no way to fix it unless one gives up selling on eBay entirely.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Shrug it off. You have no control over this.  If you are jumping through hoops to preserve that extra 10% discount then you are doing it wrong.  It’s 10% off of the 10% fee so you are doing this for an extra $1 out of every $100.

Raise your prices by 1.5% to 2% to compensate.  

Now I’m not saying to abandon too notch service.  I took a later train home today so I could drop off weekend sales at the post office.  I want my buyers to have single day shipping and excellent service. However I’m not going to care if I got 4 stars or 5 stars from someone because I would not give them an item at the price they wanted to pay. 

Potential buyers will look at the "item as described" rating of 4.7 and pass.

It is not just jumping through hoops to be a Top Rated Seller...it's that potential buyers will see that number, which is VERY poor, and not look any further...why would they?

And I don't sell widgets, so I can't raise my prices 1.5% to 2% to compensate. 98% of what I sell is negotiated, and those prices are based solidly around GPA, so adding a small percentage doesn't really have any meaning. 

That really sucks. Do you have eBay’s concierge service?  They’ve always been helpful to me for other, unrelated, issues. Hard to believe that feedback shouldn’t be pulled. Reason buyer is giving is totally bogus. 

11 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Potential buyers will look at the "item as described" rating of 4.7 and pass.

It is not just jumping through hoops to be a Top Rated Seller...it's that potential buyers will see that number, which is VERY poor, and not look any further...why would they?

I promise you they don’t.  I never have.  I look at that percentage as to whether or not it is around 100% and if it’s not I look to see why. 

Even if you are selling a $200 item we are talking $2. 

Btw I just texted two people I know on that shop on eBay... one responded like I did that he doesn’t even look the other responded that he knows people are a holes and so long as it’s over four then who cares. 

To be honest when I buy I don’t even take the time to rate anyone I just leave a positive. 

Btw I actually did text someone - we bother the f out of each other with questions like this. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Ya, for me I just care if the seller has a solid amount of feedback, if I'm unsure I also look to see why the negatives were negatives on their feedback.  Since I get big books I also check to make sure the buy has sold other big books before and isn't just random things if I'm unsure about the seller.  I don't ever really look at their item as described score and only check the negative feedback.

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Who the F is Pete?

C'mon....Pete!!!! Fear cryin' out loud!

Kidding aside, like @Buzzetta I don't look at that score. I'll focus on the item and message with any questions, but I generally consider the item, not the seller score, unless overall rating is an outlier to the bad.

@RockMyAmadeus I don't blame you for being upset by vindictive people, but I don't think they will have a substantive impact, fwiw.

Appreciate the feedback.

One other thing to consider: per eBay policy, if your DSRs are bad, they can, and will, start to affect your ability to sell AT ALL on eBay, They'll restrict you, lower your selling limits, and lower your search results. That's not *too* bad, because CGC slabs are still niche enough to not be affected, but there are other ways it can hurt.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Appreciate the feedback.

One other thing to consider: per eBay policy, if your DSRs are bad, they can, and will, start to affect your ability to sell AT ALL on eBay, They'll restrict you, lower your selling limits, and lower your search results. That's not *too* bad, because CGC slabs are still niche enough to not be affected, but there are other ways it can hurt.

I am going to use your words against you... in a friendly way. 

This happened to me once.  I was out of stock on two things that I had variations of as for some reason I did not relist it right.  Combine that with the fact that I said that I was away last summer for a week while I was in Florida and thought I set my store away settings the right way.  Something sold and I could not ship it out until I got back. They took away my ability to use the Global Shipping Program. 

So I remembered what you said you did.  Argue until I got the person on the phone that would do what I want. 

They eventually did what I wanted.  They took away the penalty on the away store message because the CSR agreed that it was slightly misleading and I acted in good faith... then took a look at other things in comparison and everything was back to normal.   You know where I got that keep at it until you talk to a reasonable eBay CSR?  You. 

You know what you are doing... when it comes to eBay.  However as was mentioned in the eBay my eBay thread... there is no need to jump through hoops because eBay is waving carrots in front of the cart to strive toward perfection which is unobtainable. I honestly believe that should anything ever happen that you know enough about how it works to come out on top. 

Edited by Buzzetta

39 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Who the F is Pete?

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1) So, today I got hit with another "not 5 star" feedback rating for "item as described", even though I have only been selling CGC slabs which, by nature, are automatically "as described." There's no reason , assuming there are no shenanigans, why any rating less than "5" for "item as described" should be left, because the buyer is getting exactly what they bought: a copy of so and so graded in such and such a grade by CGC.

2) t what if the book isn't graded properly??" Not the seller's fault. The seller didn't grade the book...a third party did. The buyer's issue is with the third party...not the seller. 

"But what if the book is damaged in shipping??" Then that's a separate issue, and does not fall under "item as described" UNLESS the damage is directly caused by the seller's negligence (not just mishandling by the carrier.)

3) has become clear to me that buyers are using detailed seller ratings as revenge for paying more than they wanted to pay. Both buyers expressed complaints about the price of the book before they bought it, and both buyers left "less than 5" stars for "item as described", since that's the only rating they can leave (all the others are automatic 5 stars in those cases.)

4)ay, of course, is, as in all things, completely corrupt and utterly worthless, because buyers are "allowed to leave honest feedback about their feelings on the transaction."

But this isn't honest feedback. It's bad faith spite. 

and there's no way to fix it unless one gives up selling on eBay entirely.

All good points, but:

1) Some folks see 4 out of 5 of any rating as excellent. Those that do feel that "nothing is perfect", and 5 implies perfection, which nothing is. When you look at any rating system, they usually include a verbal comment of each number, like 1 = horrible experience  2 = not completely happy  3= OK, I guess  4 = Excellent 5= Perfect, couldn't be happier, etc. I paraphrase, but you get the idea. On this scale, 4 = excellent so a good mark.

2) Buyers don't care who graded the book. If they don't like it, if it's a weak grade, or has a flaw they particularly hate (of course taken into full consideration in the grade), you're the one that answers for it. Not the grading service.

3) Absolutely

4) Feedback is a buyer's tool for whatever purpose it may be as per his intentions. Whatever axe to grind, or praise to sing. A seller can't leave any feedback other than a positive. Even the accurately worded implication of negative commentary is against seller's rules. There's the #1 imbalance. A deck stacked against even the most honest and well intending of responsible sellers.

That's why all my transactions take place with Heritage, Link, and Connect.