• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers abusing eBay feedback system as revenge for paying "too much."

73 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

The fees. The lousy customers. I'm really about ready to abandon the ebay ship for good. I have had some good sales the past few months but then I looked at the fees. Rediculous. 

That and the fact that for the last 6 months to year they’ve been going out of their way to mess with my listings under the auspices of “helping” me. 

At first the work-arounds were pretty easy - ignore the constant messages harping on me to lower my price, decline the offer of Price Management (or whatever it’s called) when I list. 

But now they’re constantly sneaking stuff into my listings I don’t want. The app is pretty much unasable to me anymore because, unlike the full site, a lot of their “helpful” changes can’t be altered 

And, of course, the full site doesn’t completely work on my phone because they’re trying to drive you to the app. 

This latest thing with BINs being mandatory Good ‘Til Canceled and re-listing items without my consent that were 30-day listings created prior to the new policy is just about the last straw.

It’s just more hassle than it’s worth to keep fending off krap-bay.  Instead of selling stuff with their help, I feel like I’m selling stuff in spite of them. 

I may still sell cheap stuff there, but I think my nicer stuff is going somewhere else. 

Edited by Number 6

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm now curious about what was blocked out from the rest of that text

"I've got a meatball sandwich that has your name on it Buzz"

You wish you could have a good meatball sub... or a shrimp parm.

Instead you are stuck with that thing you call pizza. 

Jon Stewart summed up my take on Chicago Pizza pretty well... 

11 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Charge your phone. 

iPhone XR's battery life is amazing... that phone was used and run from 6am this morning until I posted it.  I plugged it in at that point. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

You wish you could have a good meatball sub... or a shrimp parm.

Instead you are stuck with that thing you call pizza. 

Jon Stewart summed up my take on Chicago Pizza pretty well... 

I'm a vegetarian so suck it

4 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

The fees. The lousy customers. I'm really about ready to abandon the ebay ship for good. I have had some good sales the past few months but then I looked at the fees. Rediculous. 

Define excessive fees? I mean really if you look at the overall % they are not really taking a huge amount for what they offer.

The problem is the small % of buyers who think you need to give them the Sun & and the Moon.

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

My personal favorite so far this year. Buyer purchased a book pays for it then sends me a 
message. "Hey I see you have this book for sale too,  would you thrown it in as well with my other book
for nothing?"

You just respond with - no problem.  However the price of shipping goes up by (Cost of whatever you had the comic listed at)

I am a jerk when it comes to lowball offers. I had something listed for say $200 once and the guy kept making lowball offers.  I think he made an offer for something like $50 I said no problem but who is paying the other $150... never heard from him again.  

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

hands down the marketplace is great for buying and selling, sure one or two come along once or twice a week and they make it hell. But I love eBay, Ebay has been good to me

You seem to be doing well advertising eBay sales on Instagram.  If I didn't have a particular nut job trying to get back in my life all the time I would have made my IG public. 

16 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Define excessive fees? I mean really if you look at the overall % they are not really taking a huge amount for what they offer.

The problem is the small % of buyers who think you need to give them the Sun & and the Moon.

They are taking 10% of the FV so I sell a slab for $200 they take $20 of it. Since everyone pays w/PayPal that's another 3% so now I've paid $26 to sell a $200 dollar book. Sell 4 slabs like that in a month and you have paid over $100 dollars. That's how I define excessive. 

16 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

They are taking 10% of the FV so I sell a slab for $200 they take $20 of it. Since everyone pays w/PayPal that's another 3% so now I've paid $26 to sell a $200 dollar book. Sell 4 slabs like that in a month and you have paid over $100 dollars. That's how I define excessive. 

It's not excessive when you realise that you would have to do a lot to reach those four buyers if not for the platform eBay provides. That said, a bit of downwards pressure through competition on eBay prices would be a good thing.

Quite honestly, and it's surprising to step back and realize this... unless I'm buying a substantially expensive book, I very rarely check feedback at all anymore. Seems like 'item not described' returns are no longer as much of an issue as they were years ago, and as a buyer ebay will have your back in a dispute. And if you're selling slabs, it makes the whole transaction even more straightforward. It's a legit beef but I really wouldn't worry much about it.

5 minutes ago, AJD said:

It's not excessive when you realise that you would have to do a lot to reach those four buyers if not for the platform eBay provides. That said, a bit of downwards pressure through competition on eBay prices would be a good thing.

Honestly the amount of buyers on ebay has decreased substantially over the past years. I have plenty of options just by looking at my FB groups and this board. You certainly can't sell a high dollar book  by starting a .99 cent auction like you used to. End up loosing your arse big time.

51 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

My personal favorite so far this year. Buyer purchased a book pays for it then sends me a 
message. "Hey I see you have this book for sale too,  would you thrown it in as well with my other book
for nothing?"

Why not? And maybe a new car, too...