• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you trade an ASM 129 9.0 white pages for a 6 or 6.5 FF 48?

29 posts in this topic

You should delete the photo of the competitor's book. They won't think it's ok.

Both prices are about the same right now (roughly $1,900), and you'll get opinions on the future, for each, both ways.

I think the ASM has a brighter future, but who knows???

If you sell the ASM for $4,000 ten years from now, and you pay taxes the way you should, what was the real advantage if you didn't enjoy owning it for that time???

1 hour ago, sledgehammer said:

You should delete the photo of the competitor's book. They won't think it's ok.

Both prices are about the same right now (roughly $1,900), and you'll get opinions on the future, for each, both ways.

I think the ASM has a brighter future, but who knows???

If you sell the ASM for $4,000 ten years from now, and you pay taxes the way you should, what was the real advantage if you didn't enjoy owning it for that time???

You mean delete the picture because it is in a CBCS slap? How come?

As a comic fan, the ASM 129 would not leave my collection. I also think it has longer term value.

FF 48 will definitely go up and may exceed 129 in the coming years when Marvel undoubtedly brings the FF, Silver Surfer and Galactus into the MCU. I just think this book overall has had more ups and downs wheras ASM 129 has always been a steady sell. You will always have more Spidey fans than Silver Surfer/Galactus

Punisher is a character with a large fan base that will always be a favorite.

Gallactus is important to the story, but the value is capped due to him being a villain not named Joker.

I'd much rather have the ASM 129 long term.

FF 48 will get a temporary price bump when he appears in a future movie.

7 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Punisher is a character with a large fan base that will always be a favorite.

Gallactus is important to the story, but the value is capped due to him being a villain not named Joker.

I'd much rather have the ASM 129 long term.

FF 48 will get a temporary price bump when he appears in a future movie.

Galactus' appearance is far less relevant than Silver Surfer's.  If anything, while the Surfer's popularity has waxed and waned like the metaphorical waves that he surfs upon, Punisher has remained a consistent presence in the comics and in pop culture.

2 hours ago, Flamesfan1982 said:

AHEM....no

Drai is great but nowhere near as great without McMuffin

Just like JohnnySmurf is nowhere near as great without Monahan, who is a weaker centreman than Drai.....

As an Oilers fan, I would never trade Drai for a player that gets shut down in the playoffs as easily as Gaudreau. Here are their playoff totals to date:

Gaudreau 15 GP, 4G + 7A = 11 points; -6

Draisatl 13 GP, 6G + 10A = 16 points; +8 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Galactus' appearance is far less relevant than Silver Surfer's.  If anything, while the Surfer's popularity has waxed and waned like the metaphorical waves that he surfs upon, Punisher has remained a consistent presence in the comics and in pop culture.

That was beautiful. So then your on the side of keeping the 129 as well?

1 minute ago, Flamesfan1982 said:

Only if it is resubbed and comes back as a CGC 9.0. Otherwise, do the deal for the FF #48. The problem with CBCS grading is 1) it tends to be looser than CGC and more importantly 2) the market knows this and CBCS books sell at a discount to CGC graded books.

2 hours ago, Flamesfan1982 said:

Not exactly.

I just felt that if we're going to be discussing the explanation behind shifting book values, we should compare the books for what they are.  Punisher's 1st appearance and Silver Surfer's 1st appearance.  The "1st appearance of Galactus" notation carries far less weight on FF48 and thus speculating that the value of the book is capped because he's a villain isn't truly comparing the actual reason behind the valuation of the book.

That being said, ASM129 seems to be the book with the steadier value.  It's a popular character with several movies and a TV show.  There's no expected bump in market value from any upcoming projects and any chaos in the marketplace from speculators should have long passed by this point.

On the other side of the coin, Disney has just completed its acquisition of Fox assets and one can expect further bumps in the value of FF48 once a Silver Surfer appearance is announced.  I've heard that Feige has explored a solo Surfer film which I imagine would increase the books value more.  The problem is that the book has already seen a massive jump in the last 2 years as people have already baked in the value of the Disney acquisition.  How much more growth could there possibly be?  And once the movie does release and the speculators sell-off, how much lower will that drive the market price with a sudden influx to supply?

TL;DR - ASM129 is the safe bet.  FF48 is likely more prone to swings in valuation.  So it boils down to how much risk you're willing to bear.

Frankly, I would rather have the FF48.  It's a classic book and cover from the Silver Age written and penned by 2 of the all time greats.  But I'm not looking at it from an investment perspective, i'm looking at it from a collection standpoint.

15 hours ago, kimik said:

Just like JohnnySmurf is nowhere near as great without Monahan, who is a weaker centreman than Drai.....

As an Oilers fan, I would never trade Drai for a player that gets shut down in the playoffs as easily as Gaudreau. Here are their playoff totals to date:

Gaudreau 15 GP, 4G + 7A = 11 points; -6

Draisatl 13 GP, 6G + 10A = 16 points; +8 

I didn't intend for this to get serious. lol

Neither have Stanley Cups (yet), so who cares?

Nice to see other hockey fans among comic book fans.