• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOS WONDER WOMAN #1 & WHIZ #1 Lost Via FedEx To ComicConnect SOS
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Yikes on label replacements!  Quite a devious and ingenious thing to do..  I think part of this can be avoided IF the "To whom" and/or "From" (If a business that deals with high end stuff) can remain anonymous as to not broadcast exactly what might be inside the package.  For example if you were to send the books to Metro, the address would read Metropolis Comics and Collectibles or something like that.  Anyone who looks at that heading can figure out what exactly is inside the package. To me, it reads that there is something quite valuable inside.  But if the heading were to be anonymous and just have MCC as an abbreviated form of the company name, than it would be less likely anyone would know what on earth is inside.  Anyone can search up a business online and see exactly what that biz is all about.  I dunno, just an idea, might help or not.  But it seems like the people handling the packages in transit are getting wiser.  

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Does fed ex require the sender to identify the box contents? I wonder how the “label switch” scammers choose their boxes

Not saying this is how - I have always had my packages delivered to my parent's home.  They are retired and normally home and also they have an entry walk-up to the front door and a small gate so it is difficult to see if there are packages from the street, so they could sign for things that required a signature or those that did not, were left at the front door fairly hidden from view.

A few years ago, their regular Fed-Ex delivery person (who has since changed a few times) said to my mom as she was signing for a package that was from one of the big three auction houses (cannot remember which), something like, those are nice collectibles or comics in that box.  My mom had never told him that I collected comics but either he knew enough or just because the sender had Comic (a la CC or CL in the name) he knew what they were.  

I have never had anything taken but after that, it has already worried me with a delivery person from any service just taking a chance that it may be a high dollar item.  I also changed on how I address packages if possible.  For instance, I don't spell out Comiclink or ComicConnect and just put CL or CC.  

I guess a thief like this is no worse off by taking a chance plus I would also assume they may access to the insurance value purchased which would seal the deal.

And of course, comic values are hardly a secret anymore with all the news and hype and so many ways to connect to get news.

Edited by telerites

Like all of you, this is my worst nightmare as well, and yes I worry alot about shipping books to the big auctions houses --  or my biggest recipient of books - CCS/CGC.

I have a regular driver that picks up here, a buddy if you will, so I don't worry about him. But what about at receiving end? The regular driver down in Sarasota MUST know he's dealing with alot of high-end stuff, even though I only label it "CCS/CGC". Being from Canada, I have to declare what is inside , and I always put "vintage books" and declare a value of $2 per book. I do not purchase any insurance. I just put my trust in the whole logistics process.

I've never had an issue, but I feel it is a matter of not if, but when......