• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know if this was published?

5 posts in this topic

I recently won this piece of OA by Grass Green and Angel Gabriele.  The description read,

"Richard "Grass" Green and Gabriele Avengers splash page original art.  Image depicts all the 3 of the Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America and Giant Man.  Signed and dated 99 in the lower left corner.  Unknown if this was ever published.  Ink on bristol board, art measures 11 1/4 x 16 1/2 inches."

Does anyone know if it was published and if so what is from?

1427728621_RichardGrassGreenAvengersSpecialtyOriginalArtsig1.jpg.d316afa3b99654d7c36206008d02bb11.jpg1602192101_RichardGrassGreenAvengersSpecialtyOriginalArt.thumb.jpg.c6bd0c2e7dab87dcf8ed7a69008af515.jpg1415539890_RichardGrassGreenAvengersSpecialtyOriginalArtsig2.thumb.jpg.aee07935db41d2589928f2277f918253.jpg

Edited by telerites

17 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I'd be absolutely shocked to hear that this drawing saw print, professionally.  Let's be honest, it's not very good, is it?

Maybe for a fanzine?

I think it is commission but it could be for a fanzine.  I wasn't thinking it was for a mainstream comic publisher at all.  He obviously is best known for his early work on fanzines like TBG, RBCC, Star-Studded, etc.  And also as an early pioneer in comic fandom.  

If it was published at all in a fanzine, I was hoping to get a copy so I could pair it with the art.  The piece was not pricey but Grass is a part of our hobby's history so I am happy to have it.  Since it is dated 1999, it is not an early work I don't know much about fan publications during that era.  

I looked a little on comics.org, and didn't see any sign of this page, but it is pretty cool.  It likely was a convention or commission piece.  Grass Green, famous for Xal-Kor, The Human Cat!  David

Cover for Star-Studded Comics (Texas Trio, 1963 series) #12

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

I looked a little on comics.org, and didn't see any sign of this page, but it is pretty cool.  It likely was a convention or commission piece.  Grass Green, famous for Xal-Kor, The Human Cat!  David

I kind of think it was part of a two page spread but it is has the outline of a one pager.  The composition is weird as you think you would see who the baddie is and why is Cap facing butt-ways.  

Thanks for searching the GCD, I had pulled up a list of his credits as penciller but I didn't see anything either.  

The Star-Studded fanzine is great.  I have a set.  

One of the dumbest thing I ever did and I have done quite a few was to throw out my near complete run of TBGs.  One of the things I looked forward to was the tabloid size fan art as you opened it up.  I kept subscribing after Alan Light sold it and Don and Maggie took over and called it CBG  I hated when they stopped the tabloid and began the magazine publication.  I say all of this because so many great artists did those frontpieces. Just like on the RBCC.