• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketch Cover insanity continued......
1 1

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Will_K said:

I'm really baffled by the blank, really blank sketch comics.  For example, Superman Blank, Batman Blank and Wonder Woman Blank.  The covers are blank except for the logo and price.  The insides (10 pages) of WW Blank are totally blank.  The interior pages seem to be have a smooth finish.  The covers are more on the vellum side. 

And... no ads. 

They might as well make @AnkurJ 's idea official and publish Bristol boards with logos.

I have to admit, I've got 1 each of Supes and Batman.  And 2 of WW.

These books were sold in coordination with "24 hour comics day".  The idea was for people to buy and create their own comic, hence why it's entirely blank.  Here's the official blurb from DC's site.  I personally bought one of each and am hoping to start a sketch book.  Unfortunately, I imagine the cost will be astronomical.

image.png.d9bfc93d5698426a04a98ca4ebfb496e.png

12 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

These books were sold in coordination with "24 hour comics day".  The idea was for people to buy and create their own comic, hence why it's entirely blank.  Here's the official blurb from DC's site.  I personally bought one of each and am hoping to start a sketch book.  Unfortunately, I imagine the cost will be astronomical.

image.png.d9bfc93d5698426a04a98ca4ebfb496e.png

At that price, it shows how little the publishers must be paying the artists and writers since this is the bulk of the cost of a new book.

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

At that price, it shows how little the publishers must be paying the artists and writers since this is the bulk of the cost of a new book.

The blank books don't have any ads so that must be factored in.  No idea how much the publishers make on ad placements since most of the ad pages seem to be marketing/promotions for their own products (TV shows, movies, other comics, etc).

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

The blank books don't have any ads so that must be factored in.  No idea how much the publishers make on ad placements since most of the ad pages seem to be marketing/promotions for their own products (TV shows, movies, other comics, etc).

Presumably, they are not paying themselves anything for their house ads. Even "in the day", how much could they be charging someone selling "sea monkeys"?

On 4/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, Blastaar said:

Curious to know how much the Frank Miller sketch covers cost at the cons? Does Frank do these on a whim and doesn't look to pocket much or are these set up in advance. 

Seems like most are setup in advance through his agent, or they bring a bunch of predone and you can choose. 

His quick Batman head sketch runs from 250-500, but occasionally he still sneaks in a free one. 

On 4/13/2019 at 6:13 AM, Ironmandrd said:

Frank Cho semi-regularly does sketch covers that are on sale on eBay - he has several themes (one being the big butts of women like MJ or Wonder Woman) and they all sell in excess of $1k.

I haven't seen one for sale for a while now.......and I have been looking!

On 4/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, AnkurJ said:

I like the sketch cover idea but dislike the size and paper issues. So I had logos printed on good quality Bristol board and have commissions drawn on them. Best of both worlds.

62C70934-EE9D-4BE3-905C-A37DEE4C1A17.jpeg

35169057-D5A1-4475-92B2-F27BD1006A95.jpeg

2B2C848F-BE53-4BAB-83F7-E9F5708EC72C.jpeg

Very intelligent move. I like these better.

Not my thing, I think it's just an off-shoot of the CGC comic-book slabbed phenomenon.  That said, some of the drawings I'm seeing look really cool (and also a lot of hastily-illustrated junk), so whatever floats your boat, I guess. . . .  If you love slabbed comic-books, you'll love slabbed artwork.

Edited by The Voord

Not really my thing but one ends up with a few for various reasons. I can see why the people who collect slabbed books love them - they seamlessly fit into their collections. So far they won’t be my first choice but I’ll definitely take it if it’s the only option, as was the case with this Lee Bermejo sketch cover, which turned out great. I particularly like when sketch covers incorporate the logo. I also have a Tradd Moore Silver Surfer SC that I won, and an AH! Marvel Woman sketch that I bought in my early days of OA collecting, experimenting with eBay. I think it’s the only slabbed piece I own. The Marvel #1000 I carried around NYCC to collect quick sketches and honestly it was a lot of fun, and lot more satisfying than setting up commission that usually don’t get finished at the con, but even then I’d rather use a sketch book or jam on bristol, like @AnkurJ’s great idea. 

FB68D49B-DC51-451B-BFF6-D8011DD57CD3.jpeg

189B5832-DF15-4C75-84D4-B6D6516F50BD.jpeg

89ABB1CF-5567-4587-ACAC-09C44B047DF3.jpeg

Edited by dichotomy
Autocorrect fail

On 4/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, Will_K said:

Frank Cho did at least one that his agent (Steve Morger @Steve Morger ) put on ebay.  That one was with the Black Panther, Storm and another... panther.  It went well over $1000, if I recall.  Wasn't even slabbed.

It is funny. I have a few sketch covers and now really only gather 'jam' type pieces on blanks but I have been trying to find a Frank Cho 'fun' sketch for a long time now. There was one on Comiclink that was okay but it had some nudity and, with a toddler in the house, I would have felt odd presenting it. From what I can tell the fun sketch covers he has done never come up for sale.