• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 to Current - $500+ NO VARIANT LIST
2 2

76 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. The entire print run was badly calibrated on the printing machines, which resulted in roughly 1/4" tears along the spines of every copy of this book and others, like Nam #52.

The telltale tears can be seen on this copy to the left of "Blood & Claws" and elsewhere.

s-l1600.jpg

Nam #52 (Punisher appearance) has 3 cgc 9.8 copies but #53 (Punisher appearance) has none.  Was there an issue with #53 as well? 

8 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Nam #52 (Punisher appearance) has 3 cgc 9.8 copies but #53 (Punisher appearance) has none.  Was there an issue with #53 as well? 

Maybe. 'Nam's not a popularly slabbed series, and those 3 9.8s are old...from the 00s.

s-l1600.jpg

You can see the issue here, too.

32 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
38 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Maybe. 'Nam's not a popularly slabbed series, and those 3 9.8s are old...from the 00s.

s-l1600.jpg

You can see the issue here, too.

I’m surprised there aren’t more graded. All those Punisher completist must be slabbing other books. :sorry:

On 4/4/2019 at 11:25 PM, ygogolak said:

Yes, bottom left corner.

23 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. The entire print run was badly calibrated on the printing machines, which resulted in roughly 1/4" tears along the spines of every copy of this book and others, like Nam #52.

The telltale tears can be seen on this copy to the left of "Blood & Claws" and elsewhere.

How exactly was my statement wrong? You put up a rag copy as if that is the norm because it shows more damage. The two 9.4's I posted don't show that much along the spine but do exactly where I stated.

Agenda.....

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:
On 4/4/2019 at 8:25 PM, ygogolak said:

Yes, bottom left corner.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

How exactly was my statement wrong? You put up a rag copy as if that is the norm because it shows more damage. The two 9.4's I posted don't show that much along the spine but do exactly where I stated.

Agenda.....

No need for paranoia. Your answer was inaccurate because 1. it didn't explain the problem, and 2. the damage is not confined to the bottom left corner. It runs the length of the entire spine. It is simply easier to see in the bottom left corner because the ink is dark. And the example I posted is not a "rag copy." Aside from the unrelated color break near the UPC box, it is exceptionally typical in demonstrating the problems of this book. If you would like, I would be happy to look for more examples.

PS. When you quote someone, but change something about that quote, as in this case bolding the "no", you should put a style note, such as "(emphasis added)" or "(emphasis mine)" to show that you have altered it in some way. That way, people don't misunderstand the original quote.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Here are ygogolak's 9.4 examples, showing the same problem (though to a lesser extent, which is why they managed to grade 9.4):

1903790162_wolverine351.thumb.jpg.c2a9b26ebecf8eee147ace6099d5d48d.jpg

In this second example he gave, you can't really see anything, as the picture is angled and far away:

s-l1600.jpg

But I suspect, in hand, you would easily be able to see the tears. Look just below the "M" in "MARVEL" towards the top, to the left of "CLAWS", and above the UPC box, in the bottom orange flame trail at the spine.

Here's the closeup picture from the seller:

14600908_wolverine353.thumb.jpg.15464273e81cb2aa069133d921aa6166.jpg

I understand the criteria is that a book has no variants, but if we're looking for examples where the common version of the book has that value (but variants still exist), there are probably a number of examples of that as well that don't fit into the original list. Edge of Spider-verse 2 is the obvious example. Quantum & Woody #1 has sold for over $500 as well, and both versions were available as order-alls. (Those results might be due to so few on the census though, but there are more now).

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I understand the criteria is that a book has no variants, but if we're looking for examples where the common version of the book has that value (but variants still exist), there are probably a number of examples of that as well that don't fit into the original list. Edge of Spider-verse 2 is the obvious example. Quantum & Woody #1 has sold for over $500 as well, and both versions were available as order-alls. (Those results might be due to so few on the census though, but there are more now).

IMG_2296.JPG

On 4/6/2019 at 11:37 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Here's Divad's copy, which shows the problem quite nicely:

s-l1600.jpg

When you see those "bow" shaped tears, that's an example of the problem. They curve down from the spine and then hang right toward the cover.

That's also because my scans are superior . . . :grin:

22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
1 hour ago, divad said:
2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes they are. It's your one redeeming quality.

Better to have one than . . . 

many? I disagree. It's much better to have several.

None, my friend. :bigsmile: