• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 to Current - $500+ NO VARIANT LIST
2 2

76 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, and what's that got to do with this thread?

The purpose of the thread was to create "a list of books 1990 to current that have proven to have significant back issue value" but a few books like Wolverine 35 have significant value only in 9.8 slabs and don't fit in with the spirit of the thread.

If you think otherwise, the OP already responded with a post that suggests that those types of books were not what he was looking for.

42 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

So what is valiantman's agenda? :popcorn:

Not sure.

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The problem with using CGC 9.8 values is that otherwise worthless books like Wolverine 35 would make the list.

What's yours? Not sure.

But the thread was clearly started and is still stated as $500 in 9.8.

Also, 2nd prints are variants as has been classified by the publisher. Many have 2nd prints in the list.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

But the thread was clearly started and is still stated as $500 in 9.8.

Just to establish what "significant value" means.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Also, 2nd prints are variants as has been classified by the publisher.

No, they aren't. Period. It doesn't matter what any insufficiently_thoughtful_person at Marvel does or has done in the past.

And the single (so far) example of a second print variant is not relevant to this thread.

19 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Never seen that book above VG. High grade is tough

There’s a CGC 9.8 on eBay right now for, ahem, $5K or best. Hasn’t sold...

This book is thin & flimsy, consisting of an abridged version of Spider-Man Unlimited 1. It’s the cover art that makes it cool to me; no other comics used that art other than back cover ads.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, Joosh said:

Maximum Carnage 1 Acclaim video game promotional, published June 1994.

9.6 sold for $625 11/22/18

high grades of these are scarce so no sales recorded for 9.8 on gocollect

does it count?

Sorry I didn't see this lol

Great minds think alike.

10 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Thanks. Only examined an extra copy through the bag so far, but there's nothing obviously knocking it down yet

By the Cap symbol. These have it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-35-NM-CGC-9-4-White/254186872619?hash=item3b2eb7df2b:g:YfQAAOSwknJXyL7r:sc:USPSPriority!44303!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-35-Marvel-CGC-SS-9-4-NM-Signed-by-Larry-Hama/252707312803?hash=item3ad68794a3:g:StgAAOSwEzxYaq7p

18 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

So what is valiantman's agenda? :popcorn:

I'm trying to make a list of books that gained value without needing variants to increase hype/demand/focus.

In other words, name a book where the regular edition really matters.

We've got lists of variants worth the same as a used car but 99% of the copies (regular editions) are worthless.

What books have 100% of copies valuable, without variants in the mix?

Way out of my league since I stopped buying new comics in the mid to late 80s but would The Maxx Ashcan count?  None of the three issues have graded 9.8s on the census but lower graded copies have $500+ recorded sales (mostly GLODs).  Albeit small sales sample and not too many recent. 

And to let my ignorance show, this may be considered a variant so wouldn't count.  If it was posted earlier, sorry I missed.  

14 hours ago, ygogolak said:
14 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Is there a common defect on Wolverine 35 that keeps the 9.8 results down? 

Yes, bottom left corner.

No. The entire print run was badly calibrated on the printing machines, which resulted in roughly 1/4" tears along the spines of every copy of this book and others, like Nam #52.

The telltale tears can be seen on this copy to the left of "Blood & Claws" and elsewhere.

s-l1600.jpg