• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Options w/ a Signed Comic

6 posts in this topic

If you have a nice Comic Book that was signed (unwitnessed), what is your best option? 

Can you have a company like PSA/DNA or JSA "certify" the signature before sending it to CGC?

If the signature is inside the book, will CGC make a note on the label? 

I think JSA puts a "sticker" on the back of the book as a COA with a unique number you can research online.

I have no desire to send it to Voldemort. 

Does anyone have samples of what they have done? Thanks!

If signature is not on the cover, but on the first page (typical), you'll still get a blue label and CGC will note "XXX name written on 1st page". And the grade really won't be affected much at all for a small signature on inside page.

I've never seen a PSA/DNA/JSA sig certification before - but if they are putting a sticker on the back of the book (assume it's actually on the book), I would think that would significantly hurt the grade, and likely be net negative for you.

If you don't want red label Voldy, but really want it graded / slabbed (and sig is on first page), I think sending to CGC is fine as you'll still get blue label, grade will hardly be affected, and you'll get the note about the name on the label.

1 hour ago, CKinTO said:

If signature is not on the cover, but on the first page (typical), you'll still get a blue label and CGC will note "XXX name written on 1st page". And the grade really won't be affected much at all for a small signature on inside page.

Make sure you get a nice clear photo of the writing/signature on the interior page before you submit to CGC. That way your potential buyers in the future will know what it looks like and they can bid accordingly.

If the signature is on the cover, you'll get a CGC Green Label --- which is beautiful (to me) when it's a signature that happened before CGC existed.

0784015023_1200.jpg

Jerry Siegel, Superman co-creator, 1914-1996. 

Blue label, schmue label.  :kidaround:

Green for the win!

Edited by valiantman

Depends on what your goals are. 

Long term investment

permanent collection

sell right now

a mix of above.

the answer might also be based on grade, comic, signature, and possibly your geography.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

If the signature is on the cover, you'll get a CGC Green Label --- which is beautiful (to me) when it's a signature that happened before CGC existed.

0784015023_1200.jpg

Jerry Siegel, Superman co-creator, 1914-1996. 

Blue label, schmue label.  :kidaround:

Green for the win!

That's a sweet book, and I agree, I would be very happy with this green label, owning a piece of history!