• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice on valuing a couple books

3 posts in this topic

Hello CGC folks,

I have some questions regarding estimating values.  I know there are CGC value guides from ebay sales and even checking eBay for asking prices.  However I have two books that are pretty rare (as far as CGC consensus).

1) Spidey Sunday Spectacular #1: Stan Lee (only 2 on CGC census)

2) Tangled Web #1: Stan Lee, John McCrea & Garth Ennis (only 1 on CGC census)

How can I determine their value?  

(Pics attached)

098744F1-978C-4C01-BE02-1AC9710D0791.jpeg

D65818B6-9DB4-433A-AC56-55D187C1A527.jpeg

Edited by nyalboguy

There's also a service called GPA which is a paid subscription service that tracks CGC sales.  You can get an idea there maybe.

But generally for these types of comics (non-key moderns), here's a ballpark:

Stan Lee sig comics:  Take the CGC 9.8 universal price, and add $100 to $200 more to that price and your value will be in that range.

Non-Stan Lee comics:  Take the CGC 9.8 universal price, add the cost of getting the sigs, the extra cost of CGC SS grading, and if you had it at auction it would get between -10% to + 25% of your total price, maybe a bit more for rarity if you get the right buyers to show up.

These would be the ballparks IMO

12 minutes ago, revat said:

There's also a service called GPA which is a paid subscription service that tracks CGC sales.  You can get an idea there maybe.

But generally for these types of comics (non-key moderns), here's a ballpark:

Stan Lee sig comics:  Take the CGC 9.8 universal price, and add $100 to $200 more to that price and your value will be in that range.

Non-Stan Lee comics:  Take the CGC 9.8 universal price, add the cost of getting the sigs, the extra cost of CGC SS grading, and if you had it at auction it would get between -10% to + 25% of your total price, maybe a bit more for rarity if you get the right buyers to show up.

These would be the ballparks IMO

Makes sense.  Appreciate it. 👍