• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader Notes?

12 posts in this topic

Boilerplate preface: if this has already been asked and answered I do apologize.

Recently received some graded books and I noticed on the online submission tracking page, that there are no grader notes for only one book out of five.  I contacted CGC and asked if I could get the grader notes, I was then told, "There are no grader's notes for this book".

Any reason for this?  And is this good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks!

Edit: the book isn't "special"  in that it's not a signature series or ridiculously valuable; the book is Marvel Comics Presents #19 and it received a 9.4.

Edited by sagekilz

38 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Happens all the time, I can't think of a 9.8 I've gotten that had notes. I'm assuming the book graded 9.8. They didn't have anything to note hence no notes, it's neither good nor bad in and of itself. 

It was Marvel Comics Presents #19 and it received a 9.4.  Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

47 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The 9.4 caliber presents #1 I got this week also has no graders notes, and it has defects visible that I'd want to know how they equate to 9.4 :sorry:

Alas, I'll have to make do

I'm in the same boat.  It's not the end of world, but now my OCD is forever triggered.

12 minutes ago, Avi said:

Notes arent always useful though. I got a 9.4 sketch cover with grader notes that say "light staining to cover". Im not sure if they are talking about the art on the sketch cover or something else...hm

I agree but sometimes it helps. I just looked at some 7.5's that I have, would be nice to see if there were inside flaws as well...

Seemingly a pinched corner, maybe a indention or staple stress, but none that break color. That kind of thing sometimes gets 9.2/9.0 but "7.5!" Maybe 9.0 without the staple unevenness... idk I guess a press would help since it doesn't break color? I don't usually do a press though...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

27 minutes ago, Avi said:

Notes arent always useful though. I got a 9.4 sketch cover with grader notes that say "light staining to cover". Im not sure if they are talking about the art on the sketch cover or something else...hm

I would think something else got onto the cover while the artist was sketching. It probably isn’t visible unless you open the book and look at the backside of the cover.

Edit: post a picture of the book.

Edited by Catwomancomics

On 4/4/2019 at 9:54 AM, LordRahl said:

Happens all the time, I can't think of a 9.8 I've gotten that had notes. I'm assuming the book graded 9.8. They didn't have anything to note hence no notes, it's neither good nor bad in and of itself. 

:sorry:

Edited by Catwomancomics

2 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

I would think something else got onto the cover while the artist was sketching. It probably isn’t visible unless you open the book and look at the backside of the cover.

Edit: post a picture of the book.

My post was kinda facetious, but I'll post a picture one I get the book back, it was shipped today.