• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal Will No Longer Refund Processing Fees When You Refund A Transaction.
1 1

59 posts in this topic

hmmm -- Will sellers be able to write something attached to the sale stating that any refund requests will be processed but less the Pay Pal processing fee for the original transaction? I suppose that would be one way around it. Ebay probably won't allow it though-- or not offer an easy way to make it known. If it impacts the buyer in any way-- sorry, ebay won't let that happen. They really do not take care of the people who provide the goods that are sold on their website. It is almost as bad as how ride share companies (Uber/Lyft) treat their drivers by consistently lowering mileage pay rates and playing other games seemingly always at the expense of the only ones (drivers) actually doing any of the real work (providing the vehicle, driving that vehicle, and being the front line of customer service).

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I though that eBay was taking over and now when you sell, it goes straight into your bank account?

Bypassing this 3% fee all together for a seller...

I assume a buyer can still use PayPal to buy and it will go straight into your banking info on ebay?

Was I wrong? (shrug)

Is it Friday? :baiting:

I want to be wrong, because I don't like having bank account info online with ebay....

But

PayPal was making some of these changes, "due to new government regulations..."

Meaning any online money service might have to follow the same regulations...

So idk wth is going on.... :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Meaning to regulations

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

These people process millions and millions of transactions a day. Visa processes hundreds of millions. Returns are part of business. I cannot imagine a retailer like Walmart saying "sure, go ahead and keep that 2% (or whatever amount) that you charged us. We'll just consider it a tip for a job well done."

No, I don't believe that happens. 

The most delightfully offensive part is the pure bureaucrat speak of "there are no fees to make the refund." It's propaganda, designed to desensitize people to the idea.

Really, Paypal? Honest to goodness? You're not going to CHARGE me to refund someone, after I already paid you to process the transaction in the first place...? How amazingly generous of you! Oh, wait..you're going to keep the fee for a transaction that ultimately didn't happen...?

meh

Right?

This is a massive overstep by PayPal that I think will have dire financial consequences for them. Large scale sellers will find another way to transact.

I've never had a return on eBay (knock on wood) but this change would make me think twice about selling a bigger book.

Indirectly this change by PayPal could have positive effects for the auction houses with more sellers leaving eBay.

5 hours ago, Darkowl said:

This is shocking, and is enough reason for me to never do business with them. Crazy A-holes!

I can't believe they're actually coming up with this.

It is absolutely shocking.

It's robbery or extortion, depending on how you look at it.

And this will be a huge nail in their coffin.

They must be banking on weathering the storm and later generations simply accepting it as 'normal' and not contesting it.

What are the other options that can CURRENTLY link to eBay

But to be fair I have not had a return in around a year.  

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

What are the other options that can CURRENTLY link to eBay

But to be fair I have not had a return in around a year.  

Returns are rare for me as well, but  If I have to accept a return on a 5K book, that's a $150 hit that I don't want to deal with. 

There's gotta be more competition.

1 hour ago, Darkowl said:

Returns are rare for me as well, but  If I have to accept a return on a 5K book, that's a $150 hit that I don't want to deal with. 

There's gotta be more competition.

I cap books or anything I sell at around $1000... sometimes a bit higher.  I consign books worth more than that to an auction house.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, Robot Man said:

With things like this and the rise of taxation on the internet, I see a slight swing back to brick and mortar and live shows for collectibles making an upswing. I sell very little on ebay anymore.

I agree...and I see auction houses getting a benefit too.....