• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal Will No Longer Refund Processing Fees When You Refund A Transaction.
1 1

59 posts in this topic

I won’t be surprised if this changes due to backlash

as

an example, a $1000 purchase would be a $30 PayPal fee. If the return takes place, seller is out $30.

Even if merchants don’t accept returns, eBay forces you to accept them.

Hmm. I could suffer the seller if I want to. Based on $3000 BIN, buy-then-return-the-item routine will force the seller to pay $90 returning fee. The seller can block me but can't block me from using the second eBay account will attack the seller again for other $90 returning fee.

I don't see eBay protects the sellers from rogue buyers anymore. As the seller, I can walk away from eFeeBay forever.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:31 PM, Robot Man said:

My wife also mentioned the are doing away with “friends and family”. Probably due to miss use by members. They have become THE electronic payment metheod and they know it and are taking advantage of it. No matter how much money people make, they want more. Time for a compettitor for PayPal...

Yes the competitor is Pauly from Goodfellas

"What do you mean you want a refund...F..k you pay me!"

Aside from not refunding fees on returned transaction bad business practice, is this even legal?   Something like this would have gone out as an email blast to users.  I haven't seen anything from Paypal. 

I don't trust Google enough to use Google Pay.  Is there another option out there?

1 hour ago, nocutename said:

Aside from not refunding fees on returned transaction bad business practice, is this even legal?   Something like this would have gone out as an email blast to users.  I haven't seen anything from Paypal. 

I don't trust Google enough to use Google Pay.  Is there another option out there?

It went out in their new terms and conditions email.  I got mine early last week.

I called paypal yesterday about this new change and yes it will happen next month.  I asked why they will no longer refund the 3%, they said it had something to do with the new tax laws in effect and how they're the only major business that refunds the 3% fee, others apparently do not do that.  Oh and there will still be Paypal friends and family, nothing will change of that.

Can ebay please implement their changes already. This is frigging punitive as ebay and PayPal have "buyer is always right" return policies. Or is ebay planning to do the same? (This, of course, is sonething that could be fixed legislatively. If CA, Texas, and Florida just say they can't do this then they probably can't afford to do it.

20 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I called paypal yesterday about this new change and yes it will happen next month.  I asked why they will no longer refund the 3%, they said it had something to do with the new tax laws in effect and how they're the only major business that refunds the 3% fee, others apparently do not do that.  Oh and there will still be Paypal friends and family, nothing will change of that.

But friends and family is useless* for transactions. 

And I'm pretty sure that they are not "the only major business" that refunds the 3% fee.

They are forcing people backwards. Are we going to go back to checks and money orders, now....? I mean, it's complete nonsense to imagine you can keep 3% of a failed transaction, merely because you have the ability to do so. I have the ability to break into my neighbor's house and rob them; that doesn't mean it's ethical or legal. 

This is what happens when bureaucrats run business.

* recognizing that people steal from Paypal by abusing that option anyway.

Looks like a Class Action for some lawyer to get rich. Paypal has the ability to force returns and then keep a fee on top of it.  They are no longer a "Neutral" party in disputs (as if they ever were) and doesn't seem to pass the sniff test to me.   

With that said can someone educate me on the new tax law?

Is it just me, or has PayPal taken down the May 7 Policy Update?  When I use the web address at the top of this thread, the link in the e-mail I received from PayPal and the link going through "Legal" at the bottom of the PayPal webpage, in each case the March 29 Policy Update is all I see.

Tell me about Google Payments...

I have an offer to enroll but if I am reading it correctly it will negate the ability for me to use the Global Shipping Program which I am actually a strong supporter of. 

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Tell me about Google Payments...

I have an offer to enroll but if I am reading it correctly it will negate the ability for me to use the Global Shipping Program which I am actually a strong supporter of. 

I used it once and was defrauded. It was not hard to get the money back but it didn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, somewhereintexas said:

Is it just me, or has PayPal taken down the May 7 Policy Update?  When I use the web address at the top of this thread, the link in the e-mail I received from PayPal and the link going through "Legal" at the bottom of the PayPal webpage, in each case the March 29 Policy Update is all I see.

See https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

14 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Has anyone figured out what they're going to do as an alternative?

For eBay in general, no idea.

But I'm leaning towards asking customers to just mail checks. Paypal is immediate and convenient but with just a little work, you can adjust to just receiving checks and the savings in percentages is starting to look very attractive again even if it takes a little longer.

38 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

For eBay in general, no idea.

But I'm leaning towards asking customers to just mail checks. Paypal is immediate and convenient but with just a little work, you can adjust to just receiving checks and the savings in percentages is starting to look very attractive again even if it takes a little longer.

That's ok for buying from established dealers, but not so good if it's someone you don't don't sans the buyer protection. Also, am I the only one who enjoys the PayPal 6 months of free credit using their orders over $100 thing? I use it quite a lot. Will be unfortunate if these updates make it untenable.

15 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Has anyone figured out what they're going to do as an alternative?

I realize it's not viable for everyone, and the market will likely depend a lot on where you live, but lately I've been doing most of my business locally via FB marketplace, meeting up in public places and doing cash deals. I've already made two new regular customers who are keeping me plenty busy. I haven't had to eBay a book in a few months now. Not sure how long it'll last but I'm enjoying the tax and hassle free cash transactions. But to be clear, I'm not a "real" dealer, and I don't operate as a small business. People who make their living on eBay...I have no idea what they're going to do. But it's a scary time, for sure.