• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Self pressing?

27 posts in this topic

So I'm working my way back to The Walking Dead 1 in raw books and am now back collected NM to NM+ into the 20's (current issue is 190).   I received 3 books I bought on eBay as NM.   #26 and 28 are very nice 9.6ish books.  The #21 is perfect... except there are 2 folds in the cover.  The first extends about 1/4 inch from the top right for about 6 inches to the edge.  The other is in the bottom right corner, sort of a 1" triangle.   Neither one is even close to having a color break.  So I carefully used my fingernail doing the opposite side of the fold and reduced both by about 80%.   It is now a nice looking book but hey, I'm a perfectionist.

The folds are on the cover only, not on any interior pages.   So I don't know anything about CSC's pressing but I'm wondering... is there a home remedy?   Perhaps put a piece for cardstock over the books an iron it?  Anyone taken out minor folds before themselves?   Would you do it over the entire book or just open the cover and press there (since the folds are near the outer edges, this could be done without folding the book open).

Any ideas before I get adventurous and do something stupid???

Really just don't jump into it like that. Bad idea. It takes equipment and time and patience and space to learn to do it. You would want to practice A LOT on crappy books and only when you get good and good results would you want to do it on a book in your collection. There are other options besides CSC.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

No idea. I was just giving you a bad idea before you try any other bad ideas.

I guess if no one has tried anything (hard to believe), I could do some testing on $0 value books.

Edited by BladeTX

1 minute ago, BladeTX said:

I guess if no one has tried anything (hard to believe), I could do some testing on $0 value books.

I don't think that successful pressers would be looking to offer advice. Maybe the fear of rising competition, or something similar? I haven't tried anything and was reminded of that stupid As Seen on TV ad from Facebook, and thought it'd be funny to share it...

There are so many threads about the pressing machines in this forum --- of course there are plenty of nasty jokes.

You can google through Internet about the hot pressing machine for the comic books. It's plenty out there. I researched and compared them before purchasing the machine (I finally bought it after three months of my homework - I still love it). Don't forget to study their tips (some were terrible but educational).

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't think that successful pressers would be looking to offer advice. Maybe the fear of rising competition, or something similar? I haven't tried anything and was reminded of that stupid As Seen on TV ad from Facebook, and thought it'd be funny to share it...

Well at least now I know where to go when the neighborhood boy or girl scout asks about how to apply a merit badge :-).  

So pressing is some secret society thing?  Really?  I've heard CCS only charges $12 to do it.   I don't want the book graded, so just want to do a home fix job to make it better.   Maybe it requires expensive equipment or a PhD in alchemy.  I have no idea.  But it would be great if someone in this community could share some knowledge.

3 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Well at least now I know where to go when the neighborhood boy or girl scout asks about how to apply a merit badge :-).  

So pressing is some secret society thing?  Really?  I've heard CCS only charges $12 to do it.   I don't want the book graded, so just want to do a home fix job to make it better.   Maybe it requires expensive equipment or a PhD in alchemy.  I have no idea.  But it would be great if someone in this community could share some knowledge.

Kinda? I'm no expert. I haven't had a single book pressed. I wouldn't really call it a "trade secret", but it might be akin to asking, "what book should I buy today to flip for profit in a year?" People are hesitant to share advice that may net other people profits at their own potential loss around here. I can't blame them! I know you're saying you're just doing it to improve condition for yourself, but we never know your true intentions.

It would be nice if someone helped you out, but I wouldn't count on it. Hopefully you got a giggle or two out of my bad joke.

Edited by TwoPiece

5 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

There are so many threads about the pressing machines in this forum --- of course there are plenty of nasty jokes.

You can google through Internet about the hot pressing machine for the comic books. It's plenty out there. I researched and compared them before purchasing the machine (I finally bought it after three months of my homework - I still love it). Don't forget to study their tips (some were terrible but educational).

Thanks, I'm in the Newbie forum so have no idea what's posted in the hundreds of thousands of other threads on these chat boards.   I can't see buying equipment for 1 book no matter what the price, I'm not a dealer or volume collector.  Thanks for setting me straight though.

43 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

image.thumb.png.93bcace75abc3fdcdbf4b212be43dbd0.png

Good God, 6 grand???  What are people pressing - NM copies of AF15?   I guess if pressing a $100K book can turn it into $200K, I get it.   Better not F it up.

9 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Thanks, I'm in the Newbie forum so have no idea what's posted in the hundreds of thousands of other threads on these chat boards.   I can't see buying equipment for 1 book no matter what the price, I'm not a dealer or volume collector.  Thanks for setting me straight though.

You are welcomed. I can refer you to @joeypost or CCS (Matt Nelson under CGC). Both are good if you are interested.

58 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

You are welcomed. I can refer you to @joeypost or CCS (Matt Nelson under CGC). Both are good if you are interested.

Thanks but it's only a $20 book now and maybe $50 if the pressing gets it to 9.8 so not really too concerned.  If it was one of my TWD #1's that would be a different situation.