• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whole Qualified Label Thing

49 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2019 at 3:18 AM, Dinosaur jr. said:

I get that. But your not going to see a qualified 9.2 that is equal to a .5.

I look at a lot of comics and I see Blue Labels with pages missing and signatures on them all the time. By CGC's own criteria, their own rules , those should be qualified. Judging by the very low numbers of qualified Silver and Gold books plus the many Blue Labels I see with missing pages and signatures it seems they don't follow their own rules too much. To me its either Green Label them all or don't Green Label any of them. That's just me.

This would be a 9.8 in the new Yellow/Green label.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=22825&GSub=1562

The Green label provides a way to distinguish comics that have unique issues and allow not only the comic to be completely identifiable for its "uniqueness" but also allow the market to decide its value by providing all the available information - including the grade that it would have achieved, but for its "uniqueness."

In sum, there are a lot of people who feel the same way that you do about the Green label.  But for those who like to appreciate the book as the sum of its parts, especially when there is something different about it, the Green label is very beneficial.

51 minutes ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

How did you make 42,000 posts in 2 1/2 years? Thats almost 50 posts a day, every day. How'd you do that?

I've been here since 5/15/2005. The migration took place on 11/16/2016

Edited by seanfingh

54 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I've been here since 5/15/2005. The migration took place on 11/16/2016

Ah I should have known. You are a veteran for sure.

Ok you guys have all made good Pro Green Label points. I'm convinced.

You know about 2 weeks ago there was a FF#1 4.5 Green Label on ebuy. It was posted in the "other Bronze Age superheroes" section. Would have got it for 3051.00 but 1 guy wanted it more. A 15K book for 3K just because of a "coupon" cut out of page 12..... I'll take it!

And John Denver? He was good. Too bad his hobby wasn't comics instead of that other thing. 

Edited by Dinosaur jr.

IMHO, "Qualified" grades should be used for books with notable manufacturing defects that are hard to quantify gradewise; complete books with married parts; and possibly books with coupons or ad pages missing that don't effect story or art, including story and art on text and pin-up pages and the like.  Books with missing story and art pages should be graded as an INC grade similar to qualified, with a notation as to what pages are missing. They shouldn't just be labeled as Poor (.5), unless the missing pages are numerous. Others can decide when that gets to the point that a book is parts book, rather than one in need of parts. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:03 AM, Dinosaur jr. said:

Any thoughts?  Thank you.

The qualified grade is the worst and dumbest product CGC has to offer. It isn't an actual grade. If a comic is missing a coupon, its not a 6.0, its just not. A qualified grade says, if your comic was in better shape it would be a 6.0, but your comic isn't in better shape, its an 0.5/1.0, and it will always be an 0.5/1.0, no matter what kind of label the book has.

13 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

The qualified grade is the worst and dumbest product CGC has to offer. It isn't an actual grade. If a comic is missing a coupon, its not a 6.0, its just not. A qualified grade says, if your comic was in better shape it would be a 6.0, but your comic isn't in better shape, its an 0.5/1.0, and it will always be an 0.5/1.0, no matter what kind of label the book has.

It never was, pre-CGC, and thus we see how grading has changed as a result of CGC. I agree with you that the qualified grade was/is an unfortunate decision made by CGC. I understand why they did it but I don't agree with it. It's especially excrement when you consider that a comic with a popped staple can be given a green label (and be graded higher) or a blue label (with a lower grade) 

40 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

It never was, pre-CGC, and thus we see how grading has changed as a result of CGC. I agree with you that the qualified grade was/is an unfortunate decision made by CGC. I understand why they did it but I don't agree with it. It's especially excrement when you consider that a comic with a popped staple can be given a green label (and be graded higher) or a blue label (with a lower grade) 

It gets a bit complicated, doesn't it?  :juggle:

On 4/29/2019 at 7:06 AM, Jeffro. said:

Qualified grades existed prior to CGC but they weren't usually called such. The most common equivalent were "otherwise" or o/w grades, and were found in many dealer catalogues (e.g. "coupon clipped from back cover o/w VG+")., Especially in the days before an image of a book was readily available when ordering by mail or over the phone, such descriptions were far more useful than just FR or PR. 

On 4/10/2019 at 2:18 AM, Dinosaur jr. said:

I get that. But your not going to see a qualified 9.2 that is equal to a .5.

It's possible. Why do you think it's not? 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, HuddyBee said:

The qualified grade is the worst and dumbest product CGC has to offer. 

I totally disagree. It's a necessary product. 

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

I totally disagree. It's a necessary product. 

I agree, because the initial comic product had coupons for a reason (in some cases)... To use... So if one is clipped, and it doesn't affect story, it should have a method of grading that doesn't detract from the missing piece being used as intended. If that makes any sense to anyone else...

It's pretty straighforward.

You have two books, both with missing ad pages, or coupons cut out, or whatever.

One is beat to hell.

The other is pretty sharp.

Without the qualified grade, they both grade .5.

".5" tells me nothing of the difference in quality between the two copies.

s-l1600.jpg

Or this:

AF15CGC005.jpg

Same technical grade: ".5" Both incomplete. 

But the Qualified grade allows me to see that the top copy is in significantly better condition...missing coupon notwithstanding...than the bottom copy.

Without the Qualified grade, they both grade ".5"...and that tells me nothing about the "otherwise difference" in quality between the two.

In this case, the difference is visually obvious...but if the top copy graded ".5", potential buyers might wonder if there was something else wrong with the book that wasn't visible.

It's just one more layer of additional information. "Without this pretty bad flaw, the book would otherwise grade a..."

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's pretty straighforward.

You have two books, both with missing ad pages, or coupons cut out, or whatever.

One is beat to hell.

The other is pretty sharp.

Without the qualified grade, they both grade .5.

".5" tells me nothing of the difference in quality between the two copies.

s-l1600.jpg

Or this:

AF15CGC005.jpg

Same technical grade: ".5" Both incomplete. 

But the Qualified grade allows me to see that the top copy is in significantly better condition...missing coupon notwithstanding...than the bottom copy.

Without the Qualified grade, they both grade ".5"...and that tells me nothing about the "otherwise difference" in quality between the two.

In this case, the difference is visually obvious...but if the top copy graded ".5", potential buyers might wonder if there was something else wrong with the book that wasn't visible.

It's just one more layer of additional information. "Without this pretty bad flaw, the book would otherwise grade a..."

What is the exact reason the 3.0 got a Green Label?

Edited by Dinosaur jr.

So the 3.0 is missing probably 1/6th to 1/4 of one page and it get Greened. The .5 a "Large Piece" of a page and its still Blue.

Both comics are missing a part of a page but have different labels. It just seems inconsistent to me how they apply the Green Label. Same with the writing part of it. This one has writing but its blue (and didn't seem to even affect the grade) and this one has writing but its green. Like I said it just seems inconsistent.

6 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

So the 3.0 is missing probably 1/6th to 1/4 of one page and it get Greened. The .5 a "Large Piece" of a page and its still Blue.

Both comics are missing a part of a page but have different labels. It just seems inconsistent to me how they apply the Green Label. Same with the writing part of it. This one has writing but its blue (and didn't seem to even affect the grade) and this one has writing but its green. Like I said it just seems inconsistent.

It seems inconsistent because you're not understanding how flaws affect grades as you go down the scale, nor the point of the Qualified label. 

As I said before: Qualified is a discretionary, not automatic, label.

A signature on an otherwise 9.8 book is going to affect the grade...sometimes by a lot.

A signature on a 6.0 is not going to affect the grade.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus