• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whole Qualified Label Thing

49 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Without the Qualified grade, they both grade ".5"...and that tells me nothing about the "otherwise difference" in quality between the two.

Just look at the comic.

Wouldn't the grading notes and simply looking at the comic show you the difference. I can look at a comic and tell which one is more eye appealing and valuable. I don't need CGC to to give me an even additionally arbitrary number just to tell one book is nicer than the other, if they both have an unqualified 0.5 grade.

I dunno. CGC's gotta make money, and I'm sure the qualified label pleases a lot of people, but I just don't get it.

3 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Just look at the comic.

Wouldn't the grading notes and simply looking at the comic show you the difference.

You've misunderstood the point. Allow me to clarify: my examples were only to illustrate the principle; it wasn't (necessarily) about direct comparison of two (or more) copies to see which one has more eye appeal. In my examples, the answer is obvious (at least on the surface.) Yes, when you compare the two side-by-side, the difference in eye appeal is obvious...but HOW MUCH of a difference is not, and that's the point.

The point is that I want to know that that 3.0 copy is in 3.0 shape, other than the clipped coupon. You're not comparing two books to see which has more eye appeal...you're looking for an estimate of the condition of the Qualified copy without the flaw. Without the Qualified designation, both of those copies grade .5, which tells me absolutely nothing about the general condition of the Qualified copy. Is it otherwise a 3.0? 5.0? 6.5? 2.0? 

Merely "looking" at the comic, especially in a picture, only gives me a broad assessment of the book's overall condition, aside from that one flaw.

As has been said for nearly two decades here: you can't grade from a scan. 

22 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I don't need CGC to to give me an even additionally arbitrary number just to tell one book is nicer than the other, if they both have an unqualified 0.5 grade.

In other words...the Qualified designation is not about telling which book is nicer than the other...it is about telling how much nicer it is. 

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

In other words...the Qualified designation is not about telling which book is nicer than the other...it is about telling how much nicer it is. 

Information is useful, my friends...  :preach:

On 5/22/2019 at 8:01 AM, HuddyBee said:

Just look at the comic.

Wouldn't the grading notes and simply looking at the comic show you the difference. I can look at a comic and tell which one is more eye appealing and valuable. I don't need CGC to to give me an even additionally arbitrary number just to tell one book is nicer than the other, if they both have an unqualified 0.5 grade.

I dunno. CGC's gotta make money, and I'm sure the qualified label pleases a lot of people, but I just don't get it.

If that's the case, why include a grade at all, and just provide encapsulating and verification of flaws, pq, printings, pedigree, restoration and other objective considerations.  Just list any defects not seen through a slab, describe any restoration and let the buyers and sellers decide what they think the grade is for a given book.

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

If that's the case, why include a grade at all, and just provide encapsulating and verification of flaws, pq, printings, pedigree, restoration and other objective considerations.  Just list any defects not seen through a slab, describe any restoration and let the buyers and sellers decide what they think the grade is for a given book.

You sir just described the ideal grading company. In case you didn't know, I'm against 3rd party grading for my personal collection. I trust myself more than a random stranger to grade my own comics. I really only view 3rd party grading as a means for better protection, restoration detection, and for selling books online. That's about it.

Edited by HuddyBee

12 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

You sir just described the ideal grading company. In case you didn't know, I'm against 3rd party grading for my personal collection. I trust myself more than a random stranger to grade my own comics. I really only view 3rd party grading as a means for better protection, restoration detection, and for selling books online. That's about it.

The advisability of referring to CGC's graders as "random strangers" on their own message board aside, I'm pretty sure that's how they would like everyone to see them, too: restoration detection and ease of selling books. The only books that are permanently slabbed in my collection are yellow labels and blue label 9.9s and 10s. Everything else is fair game for either the crack/press/sign/resub, or the straight sale. Comic books don't need to be stored in slabs, and, indeed, take up much more space when doing so.