• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Ken Bald Timely Artist...

22 posts in this topic

I just read of the passing of Ken Bald this morning at 98.  Worked on the earliest GA comics including a slew of Timely Marvel characters. I had the honor of meeting him a few years ago at a con. Great guy and very appreciative to his fans. I know Lilly Rene is still with us. How many others remain? 

RIP sir and thanks for your contributions to this great medium!

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I just read of the passing of Ken Bald this morning at 98.  Worked on the earliest GA comics including a slew of Timely Marvel characters. I had the honor of meeting him a few years ago at a con. Great guy and very appreciative to his fans. I know Lilly Rene is still with us. How many others remain? 

RIP sir and thanks for your contributions to this great medium!

He is one of my favorite artists. Rest in peace, Ken Bald.

lf.jpg

626110-008.jpg

This is the only Ken Bald signed comic in my collection at present, but it's a good'un (as Billy would say)! In fact, according to The Marvel Captain America Official Index to the Marvel Universe, it's only the third Captain America issue Ken had done work in (the 32 being his first, then the 33 as well). I'm happy and grateful to have this. 

Cap 34 4.0 ss.jpg

Great stuff Frisco! Having some of Bald's art is probably pretty rare. Framing it behind glass or plexiglass would surely protect it. Pencil does not usually smear like chalk but it would be wise to be safe.

So it looks like Alan Bellman its the last Timely man standing?

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Great stuff Frisco! Having some of Bald's art is probably pretty rare. Framing it behind glass or plexiglass would surely protect it. Pencil does not usually smear like chalk but it would be wise to be safe.

So it looks like Alan Bellman its the last Timely man standing?

I wonder if any of the art on his website is still available?  I believe his agent receives the emails. As of yesterday, nothing had posted on the site about his passing but there were some character sketches available.

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I read it on Scoop. Gemstone’s on line newsletter on Friday.

Hey RM, I hope you didn't think my previous post was doubting your veracity at all.   It is likely no one has had time yet in the turmoil and grief to update the website of his passing.  I do wish my Baltimore hadn't fallen through and would have been able to meet him.  So much history is lost to hobby when a long-time creator leaves us.

Thanks for sharing with us.

On the bright side, I quoted from Wiki - With the end of the Dr. Kildare strip in 1984,[Bald retired — although Guinness World Records in 2017 declared him the world's oldest comic-book artist and the oldest artist to illustrate a comic-book cover, both at age 96,when he came out of retirement to illustrate a variant cover for Marvel's Contest of Champions #2 (Jan. 2016).

1230367-1.jpg.2d30d8fbd2e8191695004602c9990032.jpg

Edited by JollyComics