• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hairy little eBay "I never got it" story... that ends up well... names have been changed...

28 posts in this topic

I'd pay for that service, lol how did you swing that?

Surprised that the Carrier remembered details, was all this info gathered same day?

Glad that it worked out for you :whee: 

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

I wonder if one of his buddies drives a Ford Mustang!

That was my initial thought too, but how does the Mother in Law fit in? lol but snap, that's not good ha. A "glowing review"? I'd be interested in what it said!

Spoiler

Talk about a shotgun wedding and a stain on my shirt..... it's hard to believe everything that you read :whistle:

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

So I recently sold a high priced book to an eBay auction winner in Arkansas (not the real state).

Ship it out insured, signature confirmation, I see they receive it via USPS. So I'm waiting for feedback.

Get an email from the buyer Jim (not his real name): 'We never received this! What's going on? I hope you insured this!"

I check again online... delivered. I go to my post office... my gal gives me a copy of the signature. It was the buyer's last name.

I recontact the buyer with a scan of the sig. He says "my wife says we never got this. We got an X-Men comic the same day, but not this."

They open a Paypal case against me.

So, figuring the issue is delivery, I call the post office in his hometown, speak to a delightful gentleman, whom I'll call Gerald.

I give Gerald the tracking number... he leaves the phone for a long time... comes back and gives me a bunch of info.

So I send this email to the buyer, which is verbatim except for names and places:

"I just spoke to Gerald at the Hot Springs post office. He said they not only have GPS of where it was signed for, but he spoke to the carrier on your route that day. The carrier said your wife and someone's mother came to the door, your wife signed, and that there is a Ford Expedition and Mustang in the driveway. Corner house. That's pretty specific."

His response:

"That is VERY (bleeping) specific. Let me get with my wife and have her check with my mother in law. This is starting to really (urinate) me off. I’ll get back with you. Thanks for the update."

Paypal case dropped. And glowing feedback left for me. Whew. :)

Have to say I’m envious of the lengths the local post office went to provide such detail. 

When my post office mis-delivered a $100 book a couple of years ago it was a lot less CSI: Arkansas and more like Beverly Hillbillies. 

Edited by Number 6

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Have to say I’m envious of the lengths the local pat office went to provide such detail. 

When my post office mis-delivered a $100 book a couple of years ago it was a lot less CSI: Arkansas and more like Beverly Hillbillies. 

Don't you mean "Beverly Hill: Billies"...?

:D

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd pay for that service, lol how did you swing that?

Surprised that the Carrier remembered details, was all this info gathered same day?

Glad that it worked out for you :whee: 

Buyer contacted me wednesday night... I got the sig from my local post office Marvel Girl Thursday, and the phone call to the Bayou post office was today. That guy was tremendous. Calling the carrier?!?! And it was actually the SUBSTITUTE carrier... man, his memory was my lifeline. :) I was worried they might be trying to scam me somehow... now I'm thinking the only scamming going on was inside their house. :ph34r:

Edited by oldrover

this is the upside of southern small towns. (Im assuming it's a small town, or at least one with small town mentality)

Post offices and signature confirmation are handy. I had a delivery come to me with signature confirmation. I never got it, but the post office says "it shows that you signed!" (I guess my PO didnt spring for the GPS version of those little pads, or they dont know how to work it) I say show me the signature, and they show me the signature and it's not even my name. I say 1) I dont have the package, 2) that's not my name nor the name of anyone at my residence. So they go back, figure out the name, figure out the address that they actually delivered it to and then go back and get it. Luckily the guy hadn't opened it yet. Makes you wonder why he signed for something that wasnt addressed to him...

20 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

What I am also getting out of this story is maybe this guy should be blocked?

Or maybe there's problems with his wife or mother in-law and this guy really did think it hadn't arrived.

Then again, avoiding future problems dealing with this guy and his family is a pretty good reason to avoid.

Yeah his story falls apart at the question of why wouldnt your wife tell you she signed for a package for you? And why were you so quick to do a paypal chargeback rather any basic check like asking your wife if she signed for something... 

unless your goal was to claim it didnt arrive because you didnt understand that the little signature device that you used to sign captured information to prove when and where it was signed for...

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Or maybe there's problems with his wife or mother in-law and this guy really did think it hadn't arrived.

Then again, avoiding future problems dealing with this guy and his family is a pretty good reason to avoid.

but why jump to open a paypal case when the seller has said the box was signed for by someone with the family name? 
If I was him and had those facts in front of me I'd be asking everyone in the house about signing and then ask again and then get out the rubber hoses and ask a third time.

Just now, miraclemet said:

Yeah his story falls apart at the question of why wouldnt your wife tell you she signed for a package for you? And why were you so quick to do a paypal chargeback rather any basic check like asking your wife if she signed for something... 

unless your goal was to claim it didnt arrive because you didnt understand that the little signature device that you used to sign captured information to prove when and where it was signed for...

He said his wife claimed she never got it and was mad at him. But the carrier said SHE SIGNED FOR IT.

So... either she was lying to him... or he was lying to me.

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

He said his wife claimed she never got it and was mad at him. But the carrier said SHE SIGNED FOR IT.

So... either she was lying to him... or he was lying to me.

yep, and if the carrier said she signed for it, why is his response to open a paypal case? 

sketchy city!