• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Original Art Report - Please

16 posts in this topic

Wasn't able to make San Diego this year but I understand that it is THE place to buy original art. Can anyone give a highlight report? I heard that someone(?) had the cover to ASM #2 for 850K...WHAT ELSE was available? Any great Kirby/Ditko/Miller stuff? Anyone see Dark Knight or Watchman pages?

My friend bought 3 Golden Age preliminary covers, one of them was to Fantastic Comics #3 by Lou Fine! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifnews.gif

West

893whatthe.gif !!! Any chance your friend will post a scan of the Fantastic prelim somewhere on the web?

The OA selection was incredible. The highlight for me was seeing All-Star Auction's Fantastic Four # 3 pages, which are the earliest FF art known to exist. There were many outstanding JIM and TTA pages available, most of which were priced at around $3,500 each.

The OA selection was incredible. The highlight for me was seeing All-Star Auction's Fantastic Four # 3 pages, which are the earliest FF art known to exist. There were many outstanding JIM and TTA pages available, most of which were priced at around $3,500 each.

foreheadslap.gif I hate myself for missing it!

What issues of JIM and TTA? Early or late JIM, and which character of TTA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Thor JIM pages that stick out in my mind were later issues, although I saw a fair amount of pre-hero pages as well. I specifically recall seeing quite a few pages from JIM # 119. A lot of the TTA pages were Ant-Man.

In hindsight, I wish I had taken notes about what I saw and from which dealers, and spent more time looking at them even though I was not able to purchase any.

There were some sweet Miller Daredevil pages too. All priced between $1700 and $2200 as I recall.

The Thor JIM pages that stick out in my mind were later issues, although I saw a fair amount of pre-hero pages as well. I specifically recall seeing quite a few pages from JIM # 119. A lot of the TTA pages were Ant-Man.

In hindsight, I wish I had taken notes about what I saw and from which dealers, and spent more time looking at them even though I was not able to purchase any.

foreheadslap.gif Sounds great! Wish I'd seen them....

There were some sweet Miller Daredevil pages too. All priced between $1700 and $2200 as I recall.

frustrated.gif Note to self: SELF, go to SD next year.

I hope the same art dealers will show up to Chicago! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Although I wasn't there, I had plenty of people looking for art for me. The ASM 2 cover rumor is just that, a rumor. No one saw it there and if it was real, the OA board would have been on fire talking about it.

PS: No Miller Dark Knight art.

All Star Auctions had a Frazetta Vampirella that sold for $102,700 plus the juice in the auction that ended on Saturday. They also had a Frazetta Battlestar Galactica painting for sale at $125,000. 893whatthe.gif

I saw a Neal Adams double splash from X-Men #61 that a collector I know picked up for a friend of his. It was listed on Profiles in History's website for $12,750, I believe, so that's probably around where it sold.

I saw a Dave Cockrum PANEL PAGE from X-Men #98 or #99 that was stickered at...SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. OA pricing has gone from the ridiculous to the totally insane.

I saw a Dave Cockrum PANEL PAGE from X-Men #98 or #99 that was stickered at...SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. OA pricing has gone from the ridiculous to the totally insane.

Are Cockrum X-Men pages now selling for as much as Byrne pages?? 893whatthe.gif

Jimm, the Journey into Mystery was #109, with a lot of the pages having Magneto. I think there were 4 or 5 pages from that issue, maybe more.

Jimm, the Journey into Mystery was #109, with a lot of the pages having Magneto. I think there were 4 or 5 pages from that issue, maybe more.

foreheadslap.gif Thanks for the correction on the issue number, I had a lot to drink!

There is definitely overlap in the prices of Cockrum and Byrne X-Men pages. In general, a Byrne X-Men page is valued higher. However, we're seeing lately that Cockrum is getting some deserved respect, and his first run in particular is seeing large price increases (particularly from key issues GS1, X-Men 94-101). In contrast, the Byrne market (in my opinion) softened a little bit over the past two years, and is only now making a comeback.