• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color touch question - Strange Adventures #205 1st Deadman

10 posts in this topic

I have a nice Strange Adventures #205 copy.  It has either minor or moderate color touch.

CGC used to accept my scans but not anymore at this time. It has to go through the screening first. I have three restored comic books. All CT can be removed easily but this SA copy may not be passed through the screening.

I believe India Ink was used to color touch this book. Let the scans will speak for you. Let you speak here if the CT will be removed or not to be removed.

There it goes! 

Edited by JollyComics

Well, whatever the medium is, it certainly bled through. Personally, it really bothers me when I see a book like this with the color touch removed, but getting a blue label even in a much lower grade would undoubtedly boost the value. I would have CCS evaluate it and see what they think...

22 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, whatever the medium is, it certainly bled through. Personally, it really bothers me when I see a book like this with the color touch removed, but getting a blue label even in a much lower grade would undoubtedly boost the value. I would have CCS evaluate it and see what they think...

Thanks for your response. The screening test will determine. Lowering grade is not bothering me rather than seeing the eyesore of the purple label despite the nice cover.

My biggest question is that color touch would be removable or not.  Probably 50/50 chance.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

Thanks for your response. The screening test will determine. Lowering grade is not bothering me rather than seeing the eyesore of the purple label despite the nice cover.

My biggest question is that color touch would be removable or not.  Probably 50/50 chance.

I think it can be removed, but the paper will go with it...  :sorry:

18 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I think it can be removed, but the paper will go with it...  :sorry:

In which case the book will sell for more with the color-touch than without because once the pieces are cut off, the book will be no better than the VG- to VG area and sell for less than a restored 7.0 to 8.0 or so.  What I'm noting on ebay as of late is that purple label books are bringing half or more of unrestored prices in the $1500 and under key issue area. Removing pieces on this will destroy it's eye-appeal and marketability. This book? Pieces missing? Good luck. This is a relatively inexpensive Silver age key so Fine and better is where the action is. My guess is that as a purple label FN or better, it brings more than a blue label VG-, and this is based on what I've been noting on ebay with respect to books with color touch, professional or amateur alike.

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

In which case the book will sell for more with the color-touch than without because once the pieces are cut off, the book will be no better than the VG- to VG area and sell for less than a restored 7.0 to 8.0 or so.  What I'm noting on ebay as of late is that purple label books are bringing half or more of unrestored prices in the $1500 and under key issue area. Removing pieces on this will destroy it's eye-appeal and marketability. This book? Pieces missing? Good luck. This is a relatively inexpensive Silver age key so Fine and better is where the action is. My guess is that as a purple label FN or better, it brings more than a blue label VG-, and this is based on what I've been noting on ebay with respect to books with color touch, professional or amateur alike.

So the purple label finally gets a little love? It warms the cockles of me heart...