• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF5 CGC 9.6 Pedigree On C-Link!!!
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Was going to post this in the FF5 Doom thread, but felt it deserved its own. Any thoughts on where this book will hammer at after it’s done in the May C-Link featured auction? 1 of 2 in grade and highest graded, white pages, White Mountain Pedigree. Pretty awesome book!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2019may%26pg%3D3%23Item_1313273&id=1313273&itemType=0

09287F0F-7A3B-4362-9AB0-E6B8C495E990.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Was going to post this in the FF5 Doom thread, but felt it deserved its own. Any thoughts on where this book will hammer at after it’s done in the May C-Link featured auction? 1 of 2 in grade and highest graded, white pages, White Mountain Pedigree. Pretty awesome book!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2019may%26pg%3D3%23Item_1313273&id=1313273&itemType=0

09287F0F-7A3B-4362-9AB0-E6B8C495E990.jpeg

How soon that times change.  I remember saying that this was a $75000 book.  $150K?  With Sales tax being tacked on to that buyers fee I'll believe it when I see it.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

How soon that times change.  I remember saying that this was a $75000 book.  $150K?  With Sales tax being tacked on to that buyers fee I'll believe it when I see it.

Seems to me you had a spectacular FF run back in the day, was this one of your books? Or were you in the sweet 9.2 range like your AF15?

45 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

Seems to me you had a spectacular FF run back in the day, was this one of your books? Or were you in the sweet 9.2 range like your AF15?

I owned a 9.2 and a 9.0 FF #5.  I owned the White Mountain FF #1 9.2.  I have sold two FF #5 9.4's,  3 9.2's.  

I remember this copy when it was a 9.4 and when it got a 9.6 grade.

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

No way this is a $75K book at the moment. Similarly, I’ll believe it when I see it. Easily going to break $100K at the least.

Just now, LDarkseid1 said:

No way this is a $75K book at the moment. Similarly, I’ll believe it when I see it. Easily going to break $100K at the least.

I did not say that I said it is a $75K book today.  I have discussed pricing of this copy with an "owner" when it was a 9.6.  I am not sure who the new "owner" is.   

Either way this was not a recent conversation.   

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

I did not say that I said it is a $75K book today.  I have discussed pricing of this copy with an "owner" when it was a 9.6.  I am not sure who the new "owner" is.   

Either way this was not a recent conversation.   

Ohhh I see. Well, should be interesting to see where it finishes!

8 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I owned a 9.2 and a 9.0 FF #5.  I owned the White Mountain FF #1 9.2.  I have sold two FF #5 9.4's,  3 9.2's.  

I remember this copy when it was a 9.4 and when it got a 9.6 grade.

I swear sometimes it feels like almost any major high grade key was a lower grade version at some point. And most of you guys on here obviously have owned them in the past so you can recognize them. Makes me wonder how many mega books like this were always simply the grade they currently are, or if just about everything has been upgraded at some point.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

My Grading company business model theory is that every book has 10 combinations of grading/pressing in it.  Take the love of the books emotion out of it.  Look at the book as strictly a dollar/cents revenue producer to the grading company and owner of the book.  Pressing is more profitable then grading.  Upgraders have a unrestored book that with their "talent" can remove some defects that result in profit to them.  The clue to spotting them at shows are the flashlights and spinning books like pizza pies.  Some are more "talented" then others.     

As prices escalate on certain books there will always be another buyer/upgrader looking to see if they can squeeze a bump in the grade.

Which is why vintage markets need new material to come into the market.  Eventually a book reaches its full potential.  

Unfortunately it doesn't have a ticket with holes punched on how many trips through the pressing/grading cycle it has taken.

Bob, do you think repeatedly pressing a book can result in damage over a period of time?

21 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Bob, do you think repeatedly pressing a book can result in damage over a period of time?

I'm not a paper expert but not all "pressers" are created equal.  Proper hydration,  drying techniques,  "dry" versus "wet" pressing are not consistent across the "pressing universe".  I tend to think of pressers like counterfeiters.  Each has his own signature, his own talent.  Just takes awhile to figure out what their signature is.  It also helps to know the person doing the pressing.  Obsessive/compulsive pressers tend to want to get everything out all at once.  Professional company pressers have people working for them that may not have that same obsession resulting in "pressed" books that still have some defects.  CCS has the Quick press which is cheaper.  Amateur pressers buy a shirt press,  read some articles and practice till they get what they think is a good result.  And I'm a believer you get what you pay for.  Which is why I have the 10X Grading/pressing grading company model.  Over time I think bad work results in bad results.  Does that mean damage?  Any time you are manipulating a book runs the risk of damage.  

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I swear sometimes it feels like almost any major high grade key was a lower grade version at some point. And most of you guys on here obviously have owned them in the past so you can recognize them. Makes me wonder how many mega books like this were always simply the grade they currently are, or if just about everything has been upgraded at some point. 

Sometimes books can sit in older holders undergraded. It happens.

I originally advised the owner at the time when it was a 9.4 that it looked like a 9.6 and that he should resubmit it. It's a pretty nice looking book.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:28 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

pressing is your friend

On 4/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, blazingbob said:

My Grading company business model theory is that every book has 10 combinations of grading/pressing in it.  Take the love of the books emotion out of it.  Look at the book as strictly a dollar/cents revenue producer to the grading company and owner of the book.  Pressing is more profitable then grading.  Upgraders have a unrestored book that with their "talent" can remove some defects that result in profit to them.  The clue to spotting them at shows are the flashlights and spinning books like pizza pies.  Some are more "talented" then others.     

As prices escalate on certain books there will always be another buyer/upgrader looking to see if they can squeeze a bump in the grade.

Which is why vintage markets need new material to come into the market.  Eventually a book reaches its full potential.  

Unfortunately it doesn't have a ticket with holes punched on how many trips through the pressing/grading cycle it has taken.

I've heard tell, on this very board, of hoards and hoards of high grade Silver just sitting with former dealers and collectors from the 60's and 70's waiting to be unleashed on the world when these mythical dealers/collectors retire. Still waiting so I guess people must be retiring in their 90's now.

8 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I've heard tell, on this very board, of hoards and hoards of high grade Silver just sitting with former dealers and collectors from the 60's and 70's waiting to be unleashed on the world when these mythical dealers/collectors retire. Still waiting so I guess people must be retiring in their 90's now.

I know you're at least half joking, but I think any sober analysis of the future of the market would have to confront this question.  There's a whole generation of serious collectors with extremely valuable collections who will eventually retire from the hobby or pass on with their heirs choosing to liquidate their collections.  That could certainly flood the market with "supply."  I'm not saying that's guaranteed to devalue all of these investments, but it's a theory that's at least worth analyzing and debating.

For those of us who collect Silver Age books, I suppose the good news is that the collectability of Golden Age books is still extremely strong -- obviously, much stronger for characters who continue to have a presence in the pop culture of today.  The various movie franchises have pretty much cemented a certain class of GA and SA characters as somewhat permanent members of the pantheon of mainstream pop culture, so I think that should counterbalance any concern about some approaching wave of liquidation.

But I'm just speculating (pun intended).