• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your best day in comic collecting?
6 6

86 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

I was a kid in the early 60s and as such my parents would not let me stay home alone, so I was dragged to whatever weekend movie (movies sometimes if it was a double feature) they would attend.  After exiting one of those showings (probably might have slept through most of it on the theater seat) I noticed people going into a small Legion Hall of some sort and wandered over.  From the doorway I could look in (no long walks, multiple security checks, etc.) and I saw a few other kids pulling comics out of long boxes.  I was already buying comics from spinner racks, so I immediately turned around and pleaded with my father to let me go in and see what this was all about.  He paid the entrance fee, which was around $1-2.00 for me alone (no sense being a spendthrift about this) and he stayed outside since he was able to keep an eye on me through the door.  I then got some kind of mimeographed sticker that showed I paid and was allowed to go in.

The hall didn't have the best ventilation but it wasn't uncomfortable.  The first thing that struck me immediately was the smell of pulp from the old books.  I'll go out on a short limb and say that anyone reading this is smelling that even now on hearing the description.  The next thing I saw was just rows and rows of rickety cafeteria tables with rows and rows of long boxes full of old comics, each bagged and with little round price stickers.  Comics not in drugstores, but older numbers that I had missed or ones that came out before I started collecting!  I walked around taking it all in, then - after being assured I could come back inside - went out and tried to convince my father to give me some money ("To buy old books?  That came out years ago already and are being sold at more than .12?").  I'll never know if it was because he didn't want to hear me whine all the way home, or because he was offsetting my being forced to go to the movies, or because he would not want to say no to anything that even remotely might improve my reading skills, or because he was a father and that's what they do sometimes.  I remember we went back and forth on an amount, probably settled on $10.00, and I went in armed for bear.  As we all know, the money taken when buying old comics compared to the overwhelming amount of material available is always insufficient.  I walked around some more just to take it all in, searched, separated, set aside a pile then went out one more time to cajole my father for more money ("No!  And hurry up.").  I remember making my purchase, even getting a little extra deal from the seller that allowed me to take an additional book or two, then walked out with a pile about 1" to 1 1/2" thick of books I didn't have.  I know now they were all what would later be called Silver Age Marvels but I don't know what the exact titles were or if there were any keys.  I didn't care - I was beyond happy.

That hall is long gone, as is the theater, as is my father.  But that was my best day in comic collecting.  Not a week goes by that I don't think about it.

Amazing👍

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Every day is exciting to me. I make a habit of having at least one purchase a day on the bay. I have my saved searches on the items I'm looking for and am always in contact with sellers. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. But every day. EVERY day. Is exciting 

I know, I find myself scrolling too, I've even meant a couple guys that I buy off of and we've exchanged stories,I text one out west everyday pretty much, he keeps me in the loop on keys, even understands when I'm worn out and nothing comes to mind worth buying,always gives me great deals and throws in a freebie or two.

Comics is a tight knit group,but it's an amazing one to be apart of,yeah we have our ups and downs,some collections far more valuable than others,but the importance of them in our lives no less significant.

4 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’ve had a lot of fun or “best” days during my time collecting you could say.  I think one of my favorites is something that occurs quite frequently.  My best friend’s basement is our hang out.  It’s completely finished and even has a fridge stocked with pink lemonade and yoo-hoo!  Sometimes we trade back and forth, sometimes we just watch tv.  Of course I could say my best day was the day I discovered Timely or the day I finally got a copy of Hulk 1 back after foolishly selling my first one a few years prior.  Those were definitely great days. But sitting with my friend amongst the things we love, by far, is the best.  

The basement is a lot bigger than this, but here is just one view from where I sit.  I should take more pics for the comic room thread.

94DF0011-38A9-46DD-8B72-85BF9B5B14CC.jpeg

That is one of the nicest comic rooms I've seen

2 hours ago, SeniorSurfer said:

I was a kid in the early 60s and as such my parents would not let me stay home alone, so I was dragged to whatever weekend movie (movies sometimes if it was a double feature) they would attend.  After exiting one of those showings (probably might have slept through most of it on the theater seat) I noticed people going into a small Legion Hall of some sort and wandered over.  From the doorway I could look in (no long walks, multiple security checks, etc.) and I saw a few other kids pulling comics out of long boxes.  I was already buying comics from spinner racks, so I immediately turned around and pleaded with my father to let me go in and see what this was all about.  He paid the entrance fee, which was around $1-2.00 for me alone (no sense being a spendthrift about this) and he stayed outside since he was able to keep an eye on me through the door.  I then got some kind of mimeographed sticker that showed I paid and was allowed to go in.

The hall didn't have the best ventilation but it wasn't uncomfortable.  The first thing that struck me immediately was the smell of pulp from the old books.  I'll go out on a short limb and say that anyone reading this is smelling that even now on hearing the description.  The next thing I saw was just rows and rows of rickety cafeteria tables with rows and rows of long boxes full of old comics, each bagged and with little round price stickers.  Comics not in drugstores, but older numbers that I had missed or ones that came out before I started collecting!  I walked around taking it all in, then - after being assured I could come back inside - went out and tried to convince my father to give me some money ("To buy old books?  That came out years ago already and are being sold at more than .12?").  I'll never know if it was because he didn't want to hear me whine all the way home, or because he was offsetting my being forced to go to the movies, or because he would not want to say no to anything that even remotely might improve my reading skills, or because he was a father and that's what they do sometimes.  I remember we went back and forth on an amount, probably settled on $10.00, and I went in armed for bear.  As we all know, the money taken when buying old comics compared to the overwhelming amount of material available is always insufficient.  I walked around some more just to take it all in, searched, separated, set aside a pile then went out one more time to cajole my father for more money ("No!  And hurry up.").  I remember making my purchase, even getting a little extra deal from the seller that allowed me to take an additional book or two, then walked out with a pile about 1" to 1 1/2" thick of books I didn't have.  I know now they were all what would later be called Silver Age Marvels but I don't know what the exact titles were or if there were any keys.  I didn't care - I was beyond happy.

That hall is long gone, as is the theater, as is my father.  But that was my best day in comic collecting.  Not a week goes by that I don't think about it.

What a great story...

The day I opened my first store is my best day. I'd like to say the next best day was selling my second shop, but it's not.

Not being a suck up, but the first CGC lunch I attended in NY and the first dinner in Philadelphia rank very high. Made several long lasting friends there, and it was just strange telling the hostess I was there to meet the Tim Drake party.

Spideys bachelor party was great.  So was the day I finally found a copy of Avengers 9. People today simply don't understand how hard it was for ordinary collectors to obtain back issues in the early 1970s.

Edited by shadroch

Seeing the letters that I wrote get published.

Great one!  I wrote 1 letter and counted the months until the issue came where I hoped to see it - which I did though I remember them misspelling my name.

I'd write more, but my wife says it's a beautiful spring day outside so I have to go out and can't come back in until dinner...