• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your best day in comic collecting?
6 6

86 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That is stunning

I think an ASM 300 and a BA 12 are on my next horizon. I kindve want to buy them together.

👍

Good luck to you sir!

Funny thing is the owner told me in his opinion, it was the worst one he had in terms of condition. When I showed him the grade he must've just been in shock of how good the 20+ he has were.

9 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh man👍

That is totally awesome Fa Punisher at a garage sale!!!

That only goes to show what other treasures can be unearthed in what the ignorant perceive as trash.

😀😁😂🤣

Well then! Bring on the trash because we're waiting hah!

2018-09-24-0003.thumb.jpg.736741796b5ca4ac5a7fc30539b6867e.jpg

Edited by Ovrclck

19 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I said I had two stand-out days, so here’s the other one.

1991, and my roommate and comic mentor, Jeff, and I are going to KC Planet Con, or whatever it was called then. He had no specific agenda, as he had been mostly done buying old comics for some time. 

My intentions were not so flexible. I sought The Grail.

I was ravenous for SA Marvel back issues in those days, it was perhaps the height of my delirium. I had a few trophies, Hulk 1 foremost among them, but the core of my collecting interest was then and will always be Jack Kirby’s Fantastic Four. I had a complete run except for #1, and the $370 in my pocket had outstayed its welcome. We arrived and split up ( I might have been running, not sure) and I abandoned my usual convention tactics for a direct assault. In 1991, SA Marvel keys were almost as hot as they are now, but with none of the “the end is near” pessimism. Overstreet published a price update monthly. I knew I was scraping the very lowest copies in the market, and if I missed the lowball copy in the room I might be out of luck. I went up to a huge array, Motor City, and tried to process the wall books. Literally every SA key of which I was aware was present, including a Fantastic Four #1.

I asked to see it, but I could see the price was beyond me. The guy grabbed it, and handed me not one copy, but seven! The wall array was not single copies, but stacks of key books! I began going thru the stack, and was encouraged to see the books got cheaper towards the bottom. The very last one was the only copy I could afford, $250, but my powers of negotiation got it down to $240.

I then spent an unspecified amount of time coming to terms with the fact that I had a complete collection of Fantastic Four. (Truth told, it’s still a little amazing to me.) Then I went and found Jeff. Jeff was also an FF guy, and after he congratulated me on my purchase, I learned that he was also only one issue away from being complete, needing #12. After some considerable pressuring, I convinced him to unseal his wallet and man up $60. 

Two collections of Fantastic Four were completed that day, and I will never forget that feeling. I’ve since upgraded that book, but both collections are still intact

:headbang::headbang:

Awesome KJ! Worthy of a two-fer!

44 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I said I had two stand-out days, so here’s the other one.

1991, and my roommate and comic mentor, Jeff, and I are going to KC Planet Con, or whatever it was called then. He had no specific agenda, as he had been mostly done buying old comics for some time. 

My intentions were not so flexible. I sought The Grail.

I was ravenous for SA Marvel back issues in those days, it was perhaps the height of my delirium. I had a few trophies, Hulk 1 foremost among them, but the core of my collecting interest was then and will always be Jack Kirby’s Fantastic Four. I had a complete run except for #1, and the $370 in my pocket had outstayed its welcome. We arrived and split up ( I might have been running, not sure) and I abandoned my usual convention tactics for a direct assault. In 1991, SA Marvel keys were almost as hot as they are now, but with none of the “the end is near” pessimism. Overstreet published a price update monthly. I knew I was scraping the very lowest copies in the market, and if I missed the lowball copy in the room I might be out of luck. I went up to a huge array, Motor City, and tried to process the wall books. Literally every SA key of which I was aware was present, including a Fantastic Four #1.

I asked to see it, but I could see the price was beyond me. The guy grabbed it, and handed me not one copy, but seven! The wall array was not single copies, but stacks of key books! I began going thru the stack, and was encouraged to see the books got cheaper towards the bottom. The very last one was the only copy I could afford, $250, but my powers of negotiation got it down to $240.

I then spent an unspecified amount of time coming to terms with the fact that I had a complete collection of Fantastic Four. (Truth told, it’s still a little amazing to me.) Then I went and found Jeff. Jeff was also an FF guy, and after he congratulated me on my purchase, I learned that he was also only one issue away from being complete, needing #12. After some considerable pressuring, I convinced him to unseal his wallet and man up $60. 

Two collections of Fantastic Four were completed that day, and I will never forget that feeling. I’ve since upgraded that book, but both collections are still intact. 

Not only is that Amazing but its Fantastic as well.

Awesome 👍

8 hours ago, oldrover said:

Two best days:

1. Bought my first Spider-Man comic in the second grade... #59 with Mary Jane dancing in go-go boots while Spidey punches out thugs behind the curtain. Love that cover.

3FF19E1E-7DC4-4DF3-95CE-5AFD074E095A.thumb.jpeg.8c3283885372bd227b233721ff563be3.jpeg

Oh, and I married a redhead. :grin:

2. The day I heard back from CGC/CCS that they’d converted my Hulk 1 7.5 PLOD into a 6.5 Universal.

F3EC36F9-302C-42E9-B13F-D901E5185B2C.gif.e36b5f6d0d4263c12722277b5af1d3da.gif

Marvel made me a dancing fool!!!!!

(emphasis on the latter LOL)

Lol

Nice💣💥👍

On 4/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, Crimebuster said:

The summer of 1989, I had just turned 16, and there was a comic book convention in Boston. I got a couple friends together, and my dad drove us in for the show. After a couple of hours, they wanted to leave, but I bribed them with a couple of back issues and convinced them to hang around for what seemed like an eternity.

But finally, mid afternoon... Stan Lee showed up. Back then, getting his signature was free, we just had to wait in line. Finally, I got to the front. I was terrified that he would damage my book, because I had read that he would sign so hard (with a pen at this point, not a sharpie) that he sometimes tore through the cover. So I opened the book and asked him to sign on the inside. Except, instead of the front page, he decided to sign on the inside front cover!

Luckily, it was fine. I was too awestruck to actually put two words together, so I just grabbed my book and wandred off in a daze. Which I am still clearly in!

treasures-AV1inside.jpg.2fd6b95a2e68d38ea8ff9fc7eca3e8d7.jpg

Great days indeed! A free Stan Lee signature and a couple of minutes with “The Man”. Priceless! Not to mention a clean, neat signature!