• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Con for Buying Actual Comic Books?
3 3

82 posts in this topic

Thoughts on best con for buying actual comic books?  Not looking for panels, screenings, guests, etc. - just long box after long box to dig through - and books aren’t marked at 4x retail. Just want to spend a couple days doing nothing but buying books. I live west coast, but willing to fly anywhere in US. Thanks for any tips.  Mainly interested in bronze/copper - mostly like high grade slabs - but buy silver/gold/modern too. 

Jet City in Tacoma, WA has been very kind to me over the years.  I'm mostly looking to buy at cons, and this one has been much more fun to me than Emerald City over the past few years.  It's not a huge con, they do have movie stars, but they usually top out at B-level.

33 minutes ago, kimik said:

Based on the number of US buyers that come up for it, the Calgary Expo must be a decent show for books. 

It's more for the company:p

54 minutes ago, greggy said:

It's more for the company:p

You aren't a US buyer. You're just another canucklehead like the rest of us there. :baiting:

Edited by kimik

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Terry's show CalComicCon in Yorba Linda , Calif. Usually held around end of January. 

Its a true old school show.

Isn't that the only show you attend? If so, what are you comparing it to that makes it the "best" for buying books?

43 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Isn't that the only show you attend? If so, what are you comparing it to that makes it the "best" for buying books?

I have been to nearly every show, but only go to this one now.

Definitely without a doubt, Rocky Mountain Comic Collectors Showcase: April 14th 2019.  This is a small show but Harley will be setting up at it as well as Terry.  I went last year with my son.  He was bored after 5 minutes and texted me every 5 minutes to ask "are you done yet, I'm ready to go" so I only got 30 minutes to look.  This year he WILL be staying HOME !  I did bring home about 30 books :banana:

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I have been to nearly every show, but only go to this one now.

Really, you've been to Baltimore, Heroes, Wizard World Chicago, C2E2?

I'll agree that Yorba Linda is easily the best one day show I've been to since the old Chicago mini cons back in the early 80's.

Edited by Logan510

16 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Really, you've been to Baltimore, Heroes, Wizard World Chicago, C2E2?

I'll agree that Yorba Linda is easily the best one day show I've been to since the old Chicago mini cons back in the early 80's.

No I have yet to be at any one of those shows, however I did say nearly every show. Not all shows. Here let me clarify. I have been to nearly every show on the west coast. Does that suffice?

15 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

No I have yet to be at any one of those shows, however I did say nearly every show. Not all shows. Here let me clarify. I have been to nearly every show on the west coast. Does that suffice?

Not really (shrug)