• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Con for Buying Actual Comic Books?
3 3

82 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Wheaton fairgrounds are the only place I go to since its so cheap and i'm always limited on time.

It's not bad for a little local con. But it cannot compare to any of the major cons as far as amount and quality of books.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

It's not bad for a little local con. But it cannot compare to any of the major cons as far as amount and quality of books.

What happened to all the little conventions? Back in the 80s and 90s there were 1 day shows all the time at hotels, convention halls, wherever you could put a table and stack long boxes on it. Now there aint squat.

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

What happened to all the little conventions? Back in the 80s and 90s there were 1 day shows all the time at hotels, convention halls, wherever you could put a table and stack long boxes on it. Now there aint squat.

I found some of my best stuff at the old Chicago mini cons. There's the new Orland Park con coming up this month that a boardie is running, looks to be a good show.

32 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I found some of my best stuff at the old Chicago mini cons. There's the new Orland Park con coming up this month that a boardie is running, looks to be a good show.

I work in Orland so it would be great if it was running on Friday. I'm thinking its just Saturday. Gonna go check.

I've become jaded with cons.  

This year I skipped the Carbo show. 

I have to start the process for NYCC soon.  I say this and I mean this every year that if I did not get my pass that I would not pay full price and would sit it out. 

Best shows for me seem to be every Sunday with Heritage, every day with eBay, once a month with CLink and Comic Connect. 

Thanks for all the tips, they all sound amazing. Think Baltimore is in my future but it’s not till October. In May looks like MegaCon Orlando and Motor City Comic Con. Either of these worth the trek across the US?

Heroes Con in mid June would be on my list but have other commitments that weekend. 

Edited by RedGiant

2 hours ago, RedGiant said:

Thanks for all the tips, they all sound amazing. Think Baltimore is in my future but it’s not till October. In May looks like MegaCon Orlando and Motor City Comic Con. Either of these worth the trek across the US?

Heroes Con in mid June would be on my list but have other commitments that weekend. 

Ton and tons of books at Motor City but more of the $1 bin Con from what I remember.  Not nearly as many big national dealers as Heroes or Baltimore but you also have much less competition for books since there are less buyers then those huge cons.  I've never been to MegaCon so can't comment on that one.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

There are like 2 a month in northern New Jersey

On 4/7/2019 at 9:47 PM, batman_fan said:

Definitely without a doubt, Rocky Mountain Comic Collectors Showcase: April 14th 2019.  This is a small show but Harley will be setting up at it as well as Terry.  I went last year with my son.  He was bored after 5 minutes and texted me every 5 minutes to ask "are you done yet, I'm ready to go" so I only got 30 minutes to look.  This year he WILL be staying HOME !  I did bring home about 30 books :banana:

Completely agree.  I attended the Rocky Mountain convention last year - my first convention in years - and I was pleasantly surprised with quality and quantity of golden age material.  This year, I'm helping a friend with his booth (RTS Unlimited).  @batman_fan, stop by and say hello!

21 hours ago, RedGiant said:

Motor City is one of my favorite cons. Will be interesting though with it going head to head with megacon this year.  I know they are bringing in Jim Lee with a bunch of celebs.  Neal Adams has been there every year too.    

Other great Midwest cons are C2E2 and Wizard world Chicago.  WW is only down for dealers in my opinion. There are less attendees but still crazy awesome books in the room.  

8 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Completely agree.  I attended the Rocky Mountain convention last year - my first convention in years - and I was pleasantly surprised with quality and quantity of golden age material.  This year, I'm helping a friend with his booth (RTS Unlimited).  @batman_fan, stop by and say hello!

Definitely !

On 4/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

There seem to be a lot more in the LA area. I think small shows are making a comeback. I was a little disappointed with WonderCon this year. Too close to Emerald City and Chicago. The dealers seemed pretty picked over. They also seemed desperate for new material to buy. The flippers (many in this area) and ebayers seem to be buying up all the stuff that used to go to the bigger dealers. 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, 1Cool said:

I've not been in a few years but Wizard Chicago use to be a must go con but I've heard its been an off couple years. 

I never thought it could happen but WW Chicago has almost gone the way of WW Philly. Last year there were unsold booths at the show.

I think that CGC pulling onsite grading out was a large factor. Onsite grading really drives the economy at a show because people travel further to use it, it creates books onsite for people to buy / sell / trade with. It's probably the single largest factor, next to rising booth costs which have driven out all of the smaller, local guys.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I never thought it could happen but WW Chicago has almost gone the way of WW Philly. Last year there were unsold booths at the show.

I think that CGC pulling onsite grading out was a large factor. Onsite grading really drives the economy at a show because people travel further to use it, it creates books onsite for people to buy / sell / trade with. It's probably the single largest factor, next to rising booth costs which have driven out all of the smaller, local guys.

Yeah imagine if guys who bought and sold books actually bought a badge or a booth to support the show instead of getting a badge for free so that they can buy and sell books.  Nothing like watching guys who have no booths,  get free dealer badges competing with you buying books when you've paid $3K-4K in booth costs to be there.   

Edited by blazingbob

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

40 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Yeah imagine if guys who bought and sold books actually bought a badge or a booth to support the show instead of getting a badge for free so that they can buy and sell books.  Nothing like watching guys who have no booths,  get free dealer badges competing with you buying books when you've paid $3K-4K in booth costs to be there.   

:popcorn:

On 4/13/2019 at 12:45 AM, mlansdown said:

It was great getting to meet you at the show.  For people looking to buy comics, this was a good show.  Wide range of stuff was present.  Dealers weren’t giving away stuff but the was a wide range of material and a wide range of prices so should have been something for everyone.  I dont pick up a ton of books anymore so typically hard to find something I want to add to my collection but I did snag this book from Harley.

A3146BA2-BF24-4D85-A27F-A26021A25CAC.jpeg

On 4/14/2019 at 1:09 AM, blazingbob said:

I thought about this post some yesterday and I was hoping a discussion would develop but nothing so far.  Don't you think having the let's just call them full time buyers at a Con is a good thing?  Are you saying the big buyers who can pull off a free badge (not as easy as some people would believe) are a detriment to a Con's success because they don't have the ability, inventory or desire to set up a booth?  Having increase competition to buy the preshow goodies is I'm sure bothersome to you and the few other dealers who can set up and go shopping at the same time but do you think the extra competition makes the average con dealer reluctant to set up?

Edited by 1Cool