• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another dumb newbie question - Acetate Cover?

14 posts in this topic

There is a comic for sale on ebay, 9.8 so I'm interested in buying it but at the end of the item explanation it says-   Acetate Cover. can someone that understands what this means fill me in please. And please keep the responses informative and the jokes/gigs at me for being out of the loop for years and trying to catch up on all this at least kind. I treat everyone with respect, I love this country that I wrote a blank check to protect, I'm not asking you to like me, but it would be nice to make a few friends on here, as when you spend years with a combat group , they are your family and have your back, but there are not many of us left. Thanks for the understanding and peace. 

That completely unnecessary exposition was... Completely unnecessary.

You could've used Google:

"Acetate refers to the acetate anion and the acetate ester functional group. The acetate anion is formed from acetic acid and has a chemical formula of CH3COO-. Theacetate anion is commonly abbreviated as OAc in formulas. For example, sodium acetate is abbreviated NaOAc and acetic acid is HOAc."

AKA plastic.

14 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

There is a comic for sale on ebay, 9.8 so I'm interested in buying it but at the end of the item explanation it says-   Acetate Cover. can someone that understands what this means fill me in please. And please keep the responses informative and the jokes/gigs at me for being out of the loop for years and trying to catch up on all this at least kind. I treat everyone with respect, I love this country that I wrote a blank check to protect, I'm not asking you to like me, but it would be nice to make a few friends on here, as when you spend years with a combat group , they are your family and have your back, but there are not many of us left. Thanks for the understanding and peace. 

Hello Ghost of the Wild! :)

An acetate cover is just a hard plastic cover. It sometimes replaces the regular paper cover, and sometimes it acts as a transparency that sits over the cover to create a fancy effect. Here's a Maximum Clonage that gives you an idea of the latter scenario:

mc.thumb.jpg.f43ac1f673599b3e60cf14e4b352bbf5.jpg  mc2.thumb.jpg.b8fd5c6bccfeee3fe70cb2967d181505.jpg

The acetate doesn't necessarily add any value itself - the book will have value for what it is, not the fact that it has a fancy plastic cover.

Another good example of an acetate cover is the 'Marvel Collectible Classic' reprint of ASM #300 - here's my old copy here, alongside the book it reprinted:

300mcc.thumb.jpg.4bbb14b21fd17461d130ea42e3b6d8f6.jpg  300ne.thumb.jpg.7d5686993b2beea00499577a8092e8db.jpg

The reason that book is expensive has little to do with the acetate and more to do with the book it reprints and the low numbers available.

So don't buy a book 'just because it has an acetate cover' is what I'm saying. It's just a gimmick like lenticular covers (the ones that 'move' when you move them) and die cut covers. 

Hope that helps :)

33 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello Ghost of the Wild! :)

An acetate cover is just a hard plastic cover. It sometimes replaces the regular paper cover, and sometimes it acts as a transparency that sits over the cover to create a fancy effect. Here's a Maximum Clonage that gives you an idea of the latter scenario:

mc.thumb.jpg.f43ac1f673599b3e60cf14e4b352bbf5.jpg  mc2.thumb.jpg.b8fd5c6bccfeee3fe70cb2967d181505.jpg

The acetate doesn't necessarily add any value itself - the book will have value for what it is, not the fact that it has a fancy plastic cover.

Another good example of an acetate cover is the 'Marvel Collectible Classic' reprint of ASM #300 - here's my old copy here, alongside the book it reprinted:

300mcc.thumb.jpg.4bbb14b21fd17461d130ea42e3b6d8f6.jpg  300ne.thumb.jpg.7d5686993b2beea00499577a8092e8db.jpg

The reason that book is expensive has little to do with the acetate and more to do with the book it reprints and the low numbers available.

So don't buy a book 'just because it has an acetate cover' is what I'm saying. It's just a gimmick like lenticular covers (the ones that 'move' when you move them) and die cut covers. 

Hope that helps :)

many thanks, I just was kinda confused that it meant the cgc protector was acetate verses a new or regular cgc protector. thanks, think I grasp it now.

6 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

many thanks, I just was kinda confused that it meant the cgc protector was acetate verses a new or regular cgc protector. thanks, think I grasp it now.

Right!

You're talking about the CGC sleeve that the comic is in, not the comic itself? 

CGC changed the materials they use in their slabs recently to make them 'crystal clear'. The old ones were, in theory, less 'crystal clear'. Maybe that's what the ebay listing is talking about. Post a link or the ebay number so we can be sure GOTW :) 

11 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

Right, so it was the comic you was talking about. We got there in the end.

Origin II with an acetate cover, the kind I described earlier. Not a rare book, or a significant book. 

Here's one for a dollar:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origin-II-1-Marvel-Comics-2014-VF-1st-Printing-Acetate-Cover-Wolverine/323767381645?hash=item4b620a2e8d:g:eXkAAOSwbVNbM5Fl

Nothing to get excited about in my view.

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Right, so it was the comic you was talking about. We got there in the end.

Origin II with an acetate cover, the kind I described earlier. Not a rare book, or a significant book. 

Here's one for a dollar:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origin-II-1-Marvel-Comics-2014-VF-1st-Printing-Acetate-Cover-Wolverine/323767381645?hash=item4b620a2e8d:g:eXkAAOSwbVNbM5Fl

Nothing to get excited about in my view.

Man I'm glad I asked, I have never ran across one with an acetate cover. But I don't go to any comic cons, so I miss alot. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Arf Art Arf said:

Isn't that ASM #300 reprint a chromium cover and not acetate?

I thought it was a chromium layer over acetate? 

2 minutes ago, Arf Art Arf said:

If it were, wouldn't it be an acetate overlay over a chromium cover?

hm

2 minutes ago, Arf Art Arf said:

Books with acetate covers have 2 covers right? Does that ASM 300 reprint have 2 covers?

Damned if I can remember. 

Anyone out there got one?