• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do movies impact comic values? Check out my hideous ASM 13... we'll see! Edit: auction results in...

40 posts in this topic

that book probably benefits from being in the case-- avoiding people handling it or whatever is on it or making it worse just through a little more wear on those rough edges. And I would also guess it might contain whatever smells are associated with it that are NOT the traditional type that people sometimes covet.

The case sort of pretties it up.

Edited by 01TheDude

Mysterio on the cover looks to be in pretty good shape so I'm sure a collector will look at that and like the book despite the grade. 1.0's deserve a home too lol

I have a 1.0 fantastic four #5 because it was the best I could afford and dr. doom is unblemished on the cover. Its increased in value in the 5 months I've held it.

2 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Mysterio on the cover looks to be in pretty good shape so I'm sure a collector will look at that and like the book despite the grade. 1.0's deserve a home too lol

I have a 1.0 fantastic four #5 because it was the best I could afford and dr. doom is unblemished on the cover. Its increased in value in the 5 months I've held it.

LOL at "1.0's deserve a home too"!!!

Well, please don't misunderstand me. I am not criticizing the book itself... really, the previous owner's "treatment" of it. In my days as a collector, I would gladly own a 1.0 of many books. Hey, I owned this for almost 10 years! :)

I am/was a collector looking to complete runs on a tight budget.

That is a "Very Well Loved Copy"  :cloud9: and I have a number of early books that look just like that.

If I needed/wanted an ASM 13 to fill a hole in my ASM collection and that book was on eBay at the right price I would certainly give it a good home.

I would "hug it, squeeze it, love it, stroke its feathers and name it George, hey wait, comics don't have feathers".

SpryMeanGuernseycow-small.gif

51 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Yes, my FF #5 is around .5 to 1.0, it's complete but cover is split/detached and there are many obvious issues. The money shot center image of Doom is still pretty nice. I'm thrilled to have it. Paid about 1/3 of the market value at the time, and it has only gone up from there. The problem with me is that when books start increasing in value, I'm tempted to sell them so I can buy more books.

Photo Nov 17, 12 20 41 PM.jpg

Edited by F For Fake
no type so good

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, my FF #5 is around .5 to 1.0, it's complete but cover is split/detached and there are many obvious issues. The money shot center image of Doom is still pretty nice. I'm thrilled to have it. Paid about 1/3 of the market value at the time, and it has only gone up from there. The problem with me is that when books start increasing in value, I'm tempted to sell them so I can buy more books.

Photo Nov 17, 12 20 41 PM.jpg

You missed a great chance to have Stan Lee sign right over Dr. Doom's face like in that worst stan lee sigs thread. I'm kidding of course-- That would have been a shame to ruin probably the nicest part of that cover.

Speaking of which-- if they are running our of air, Isn't the human torch making matters worse as his flame is consuming oxygen rapidly? Yeah-- your flame IS DYING OUT, Johnny-- how about flaming off before you kill everyone faster? Jackhole!

Edited by 01TheDude

13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

You missed a great chance to have Stan Lee sign right over Dr. Doom's face like in that worst stan lee sigs thread. I'm kidding of course-- That would have been a shame to ruin probably the nicest part of that cover.

Speaking of which-- if they are running our of air, Isn't the human torch making matters worse as his flame is consuming oxygen rapidly? Yeah-- your flame IS DYING OUT, Johnny-- how about flaming off before you kill everyone faster? Jackhole!

Yeah, I'm not a SS guy, so Stan wasn't getting his mitts on this. That book in the other thread is a heartbreaker!

Ha, good point. Maybe Johnny had a death wish?

On 4/8/2019 at 10:49 PM, Buzzetta said:

ahem... hold my beer

I was gonna suggest Swarmi! But he won't buy this because the new spidey movie doesn't star:

wudy_classico_multipack.jpg

Edited by comics4all

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

The grader notes should read like a novel. Synopsis = Beat but complete.

LOL... actually, here are the grader notes;

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 13 6/64 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
heavy rippling/warping whole book
heavy spine roll
moisture damage whole book
multiple stain cover
small, multiple tear full left of whole book
staple detached bottom of front cover
staple detached top of front cover

This was prior to my discovery of @joeypost. Altho... he might have pronounced it DOA. LOL

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

The grader notes should read like a novel. Synopsis = Beat but complete.

beatbutcomplete is my collecting mantra!

It's very important to not abbreviate that to "BBC" when surfing the net.

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I think CGC needs to design a label for silver age (or older) books with a grade of 2.0 and lower that looks kinda "vintage" that will go along with the look of the book. That will probably make these grades on such old books more desirable as they truly are

2yfnuq.gif