• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's SHAZAM 2 starring Zackary Levi (4/1/22)
1 1

696 posts in this topic

NAB: We’ll touch on that here a little bit in a question that’s coming up, but I want to go into something that you have touched on in terms of fan conventions that I imagine spirals back into your work with comic franchises. So, what is it like, really, to be a part of truly the biggest comic franchises out there?

Zachary: Oh man, it’s a lot of pinch me moments. I’ve been very forward thinking always in my life, which is not always great, sometimes it keeps me from being very present or reflective in the moment, but I’m always kinda like “On to the next one.” I’m super grateful for what I’ve gotten to be a part of, but there’s so much more that I want to do. So I don’t really sit and rest on those laurels. But you know, the fact that I got to be Fandral in the Thor franchise and work with those incredible talented folks was awesome. The fact that now I get to be my own superhero in Shazam!, and a very different and fun type of a superhero that I think is a breath of fresh air for a lot of folks … it’s a gift. I couldn’t have written it better — this journey — I couldn’t have scripted my own journey better. And not that there haven’t been moments where it was really difficult and I lost jobs that I thought would have been incredible and that it really took a toll on me. But that’s why I think it’s important to trust in the overall plan and God’s got stuff in store that we’re kind of unaware of and it becomes really easy to get lost in the weeds of your own life sometimes instead of just trusting and knowing that there’s something around the corner and to keep loving yourself through that and be patient through it. Having done that and then gotten to be Shazam through all that is just so delightful.

NAB: If you could be reunited with your former Chuck costar Yvonne Strahovski, what project would you like to do together?

Chuck_4926700-CHK._V392937831_SX1080_.jp

Zachary: I don’t know … something meaningful. I mean I always just want to do stuff that’s meaningful, whether its meaningfully entertaining or meaningfully powerful and poignant. I think … Yvonne, I just think the world of her. I think she’s a delightful and lovely person and incredible talent. Something dramatic I feel like could be a really cool thing to do with her. I don’t know what that story would be, but something that really gets into the fabric of human existence or something and us to be able to present something that has some deep philosophy behind it. I think that could be cool.

Shazam! 2 Update: Sequel Starts Filming “Really Soon”

Shazam! 2 begins filming "really soon," according to returning star Asher Angel, who says he's yet to see a -script for the DC Films sequel. Also returning is Asher's co-star Zachary Levi — back as the grown-up, superpowered alter-ego of Angel's street smart foster kid Billy Batson — and director David F. Sandberg, who struck lightning with the smaller-budgeted and family-friendly Shazam! to the tune of $364 million worldwide. Asher says he's yet to set eyes on the -script penned by returning scribe Henry Gayden, but he's "super excited" to return to the DC Comics universe and reunite with Levi in the sequel set for April 2022.

"I think we start filming really soon, so I’m super excited," Angel told ET Live. "I don’t know [what happens] — I haven’t read the -script yet."

Asked about his looming reunion with Levi, Angel added, "I’m so excited. I can’t wait to see him. I feel like I haven’t seen him in a long time. He keeps inviting me out to Texas — well, I’m kind of inviting myself out there, because that’s where he lives — but he’s like, ‘Asher, come to Texas.’ I’m like, ‘Bro, where’s my invite?’ But he’s the best, I’m so proud of him and I can’t wait to see him."

In a June interview with the Associated Press, Levi anticipated filming on the sequel to start by late spring or early summer 2020. The star later said studio Warner Bros. wanted to put the sequel into motion "as soon as possible" because of 17-year-old Angel and 16-year-old co-star Jack Dylan Grazer.