• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Knight #1 (Atlas 1955) Club!
3 3

166 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Too good to be true. Just checked census...highest graded is one 8.5, next highest is 7.0... Unless there's a lag or something,...how long does it take to hit the census after grading?

about a week

Does anyone know how rare this book really is? Do the census numbers really convey how many there might be in the wild? Are there a bunch of copies waiting to flood the market?

On 6/27/2020 at 4:29 PM, dikran1 said:

Does anyone know how rare this book really is? Do the census numbers really convey how many there might be in the wild? Are there a bunch of copies waiting to flood the market?

I think there are a fair number more than the census dictates.  Not likely enough to ever flood the market, but probably more floating out there raw than graded by a decent margin.  

Then again I don't really know :)

11 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I think there are a fair number more than the census dictates.  Not likely enough to ever flood the market, but probably more floating out there raw than graded by a decent margin.  

Then again I don't really know :)

Thanks, I ask cuz my group and I want to buy a high grade copy together as a long term investment and we were kinda worried if a bunch of 8.0s and 9.0s suddenly appeared we'd be screwed... And movie hype tends to bring copies out of the woodwork but so far I don't see it...

1 hour ago, dikran1 said:

Thanks, I ask cuz my group and I want to buy a high grade copy together as a long term investment and we were kinda worried if a bunch of 8.0s and 9.0s suddenly appeared we'd be screwed... And movie hype tends to bring copies out of the woodwork but so far I don't see it...

I think you're relatively safe with this book.  The price bump and market flood happened about 2 years ago, meaning ebay listings went from 0-1, to about 6ish.  Go back a few pages to my post when I got my copy and you can kind of watch this in real time. 

The book is scarce enough and fragile enough (chipping, black cover) that I dont imagine too many raw hg copies are floating around out there, but you never know.  A 9.6 taw copy of action 1 is still down south sitting in a dentist's office.

As for a spec, the book already has its movie rumor bump.  For itto see more substantial growth, the black knight would have to be good in the movie and be the next racoonlord, which I dont see happening.   Also bear in mind people may focus more on the first apperance of the second black night.  

I dont think it would be a bad spec book, but there are some hurdles, of which a flood of copies to the market I believe isnt one.  If you do end up with one, be sure to post it here!

Honestly, it’s not so much the Black Knight as it is Morgana that we were interested in 😂 (in terms of potential growth)

But the art in this book is just spectacular! Joe Maneely could have been one of the legends of the Marvel era...

22 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

Does anyone know why the 8.0 Bethlehem copy on GPA doesn't appear on the CGC census?

Was it downgraded?

Maybe it was recently "upgraded" to the lone 8.5 on the census?

-bc

1 minute ago, bc said:

Maybe it was recently "upgraded" to the lone 8.5 on the census?

-bc

Isn't the 8.5 the one from earlier in the thread? There's no pedigree on the label...