• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Knight #1 (Atlas 1955) Club!
3 3

166 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

I think you'all might enjoy this one. This was from the Toronto collection a number of years ago. I also picked up some nice Atlas westerns from that collection. It is the highest graded copy, so far.

282267187_BLACKKNIGHT1.thumb.jpg.024b3a0cf2ce04a9e10d013c38fb0344.jpg

:headbang: WOW!

Beautiful copy Rick!

9 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

I think you'all might enjoy this one. This was from the Toronto collection a number of years ago. I also picked up some nice Atlas westerns from that collection. It is the highest graded copy, so far.

282267187_BLACKKNIGHT1.thumb.jpg.024b3a0cf2ce04a9e10d013c38fb0344.jpg

:takeit:  I was wondering if a boardie had this copy.  Sweet!!!!

2 minutes ago, TrevorP24 said:

Thanks, saw that...I don't mind beat up, but that bottom left corner is no Bueno for me. The other one didn't necessarily fall through either, but it had a lot of tape on it, plus glue. Holding out for a beat up copy that doesn't violate my already low standards. lol 

24 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Thanks, saw that...I don't mind beat up, but that bottom left corner is no Bueno for me. The other one didn't necessarily fall through either, but it had a lot of tape on it, plus glue. Holding out for a beat up copy that doesn't violate my already low standards. lol 

Yeah its pretty bad, but I thought just in case....  I wasn't sure how low you were willing to stoop :insane:

17 hours ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

There are only presently 27 graded copies of this comic. Always thought this and Yellow Claw were Atlas’s first attempts to break into original property super hero style comics before the Silver Age of comics. 

(thumbsu

If we go by Showcase #4 as the beginning of the SA (DC style) - that came out in Oct '56.

Same month as Yellow Claw #1 and just a few months after the Black Knight series ended. Always considered the YC more of an anti-hero title.

That would be the end of the Atlas hero/anti-hero lines until the rise of the costumed superheroes in the '60s.

3 hours ago, bc said:

(thumbsu

If we go by Showcase #4 as the beginning of the SA (DC style) - that came out in Oct '56.

Same month as Yellow Claw #1 and just a few months after the Black Knight series ended. Always considered the YC more of an anti-hero title.

That would be the end of the Atlas hero/anti-hero lines until the rise of the costumed superheroes in the '60s.

Yeah I wasn't sure whether to put this thread in Golden or Silver Age, but I kind of consider it silver age myself.

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

This title's covers and art seemed like a labor of love for Maneely. The detailing on the armor and the clothing is amazing.

This is the Bethlehem copy of #4

2018090287_BLACKKNIGHT4.thumb.jpg.36c99da2f52fa796bab15594556a6b01.jpg

802605782_BLACKKNIGHT5.thumb.jpg.770c2043cc5778ebefc6ed4815b67012.jpg

Totally agree.  The detail is astounding.  I especially love the work on the shield on #5.  The way its battered and beat up is wonderful.  He could have just drawn a normal shield but nope.  Maneely was one of the greats.

Do you own these ones as well???!!!  :insane:

Edited by TrevorP24