• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Katy Keene Pin Up Parade page counts

9 posts in this topic

I had the comic bug last week and picked up a few Katy Keene Pin Up parade issues.  They arrived and I am stoked.  I did a page count and am surprised that each one has a different count.  I stopped collecting Katy Keene for incomplete books.  The dealer had a lot of other Katy Keene books and listed ones that were missing pages.  These were not listed as missing pages.  The one I am suspect is number 3.  Looking down at the binding , it looks like it could be but then from the bottom the binding looks fine.

GCD doesn't have any page counts for most of these Pin Up parades.  I have later Pin Up parades but not sure if these earlier ones have a different page count.  If anyone out there has one of all of the issues below and can let me know what the page count should be that would be very helpful.  I promise that I will update the GCD with the information as well.

Not including the cover which adds an additional 4 pages.  The pages below are only of the comic interior pages.

• Katy Keene Pin Up parade 2 - 88 pages (44 pages x 2)  That is a strange page count.
  • Katy Keene Pin Up parade 3 - 64 pages (32 pages x 2)
  • Katy Keene Pin Up parade 4 - 80 pages (40 pages x 2)

Thank you.

I found missing pages in my Pin Up 2 and 3 using some other sellers interior pictures from ebay and discovering some torn out pages.

So if anyone does have the page count to issue 4 that would be most helpful.  I am going to run to the library and see if Overstreet may have the page counts.  My digital copy no longer works.  I hunted several dealer and auction sites and none list the page count.  I am wondering how CGC actually grades this without page count information.  They are almost impossible to tell if a page is missing when the numbering matches.

On to more research.  Now I know why I stopped collecting this title.  I love Katy but her books take so much effort.  I cannot even state how much lost shipping cost I have encountered over the years.

1 hour ago, nocutename said:

I found missing pages in my Pin Up 2 and 3 using some other sellers interior pictures from ebay and discovering some torn out pages.

So if anyone does have the page count to issue 4 that would be most helpful.  I am going to run to the library and see if Overstreet may have the page counts.  My digital copy no longer works.  I hunted several dealer and auction sites and none list the page count.  I am wondering how CGC actually grades this without page count information.  They are almost impossible to tell if a page is missing when the numbering matches.

On to more research.  Now I know why I stopped collecting this title.  I love Katy but her books take so much effort.  I cannot even state how much lost shipping cost I have encountered over the years.

I checked Keltner's Guide, Jeannine, but as I suspected the title wasn't listed.

One suggestion is to PM Conan since Lonestar has a copy of #4 for sale to ask if he would have someone there count the pages of that copy.  It is a consignment book but I believe they the books in hand at Lonestar.   If they will, at least you could see if it has the same page count.

Here's the copy link - https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=352551

And Conan's board name is mycomicshop

21 hours ago, nocutename said:

I had the comic bug last week and picked up a few Katy Keene Pin Up parade issues.  They arrived and I am stoked.  I did a page count and am surprised that each one has a different count.  I stopped collecting Katy Keene for incomplete books.  The dealer had a lot of other Katy Keene books and listed ones that were missing pages.  These were not listed as missing pages.  The one I am suspect is number 3.  Looking down at the binding , it looks like it could be but then from the bottom the binding looks fine.

GCD doesn't have any page counts for most of these Pin Up parades.  I have later Pin Up parades but not sure if these earlier ones have a different page count.  If anyone out there has one of all of the issues below and can let me know what the page count should be that would be very helpful.  I promise that I will update the GCD with the information as well.

Not including the cover which adds an additional 4 pages.  The pages below are only of the comic interior pages.

• Katy Keene Pin Up parade 2 - 88 pages (44 pages x 2)  That is a strange page count.
  • Katy Keene Pin Up parade 3 - 64 pages (32 pages x 2)
  • Katy Keene Pin Up parade 4 - 80 pages (40 pages x 2)

Thank you.

I was able to check my copies.  All three issues have 96 interior pages plus the cover making for 100 pages each.  If you buy any Katy Keene Fashion Book issues, #19 only has 28 pages including the covers and I think one issue before or after was the same.  I ended up with 3 copies with all 3 having 28 pages.  I saw that Doug Sulipa mentioned in Overstreet in the last year or two that he has never been able to locate a complete copy but it turns out it only had 28 pages.  No 3rd party advertising at all.  I have some old KK fan club articles and they also acknowledged that this was just a 28 page issue. 

9 hours ago, telerites said:

I checked Keltner's Guide, Jeannine, but as I suspected the title wasn't listed.

One suggestion is to PM Conan since Lonestar has a copy of #4 for sale to ask if he would have someone there count the pages of that copy.  It is a consignment book but I believe they the books in hand at Lonestar.   If they will, at least you could see if it has the same page count.

Here's the copy link - https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=352551

And Conan's board name is mycomicshop

Thank you for the suggestion.  I was thinking of contacting a seller as a last resort.  I figured I would ask here as I trust the members here.  (P.S. I purchased a Katy Keene from MyComicShop and it was incomplete and I had to return it.  That was several years ago and the only book I ever returned to MCS)

41 minutes ago, lotemo said:

I was able to check my copies.  All three issues have 96 interior pages plus the cover making for 100 pages each.  If you buy any Katy Keene Fashion Book issues, #19 only has 28 pages including the covers and I think one issue before or after was the same.  I ended up with 3 copies with all 3 having 28 pages.  I saw that Doug Sulipa mentioned in Overstreet in the last year or two that he has never been able to locate a complete copy but it turns out it only had 28 pages.  No 3rd party advertising at all.  I have some old KK fan club articles and they also acknowledged that this was just a 28 page issue. 

Thank you so much for checking.  The information is definitely helpful as I do want to collect more of these Pinup Parades.  Maybe I should just stick to the regular series as those are easy to detect missing pages.  Funny that you should say that about KKFB 19.  The seller had a copy that I purchased.  But that one was disclosed as missing pages.  I purchased it anyway because I don't think I would ever find a complete one at an affordable price. 

Doug is extremely knowledgeable.  I have purchased small amounts from him over the years of odd ball items.  If noone here replied back, I was going to email him.

23 minutes ago, nocutename said:

Thank you so much for checking.  The information is definitely helpful as I do want to collect more of these Pinup Parades.  Maybe I should just stick to the regular series as those are easy to detect missing pages.  Funny that you should say that about KKFB 19.  The seller had a copy that I purchased.  But that one was disclosed as missing pages.  I purchased it anyway because I don't think I would ever find a complete one at an affordable price. 

Doug is extremely knowledgeable.  I have purchased small amounts from him over the years of odd ball items.  If noone here replied back, I was going to email him.

I've never had the chance to let Doug know that KK Fashion Book #19 is just 28 pages.  My 2nd Katy Keene box was still out so I checked other issues.  #17 through 19 are all 28 pages including covers.  #16 and #20 both have the 36 page counts.  I ended up with a few copies of #19 because I thought mine was incomplete.  I have more than one copy of each of these three issues so I'm pretty confident in confirming that those 3 issues are all 28 pages.  They really never put 3rd party ads in these issues so the buyer was still gettig the equivalent amount of content in less pages.  My Katy Keene box 1 contains all 62 issues of the KK title.  The 2nd box is Fashion book, all the annuals and Pin-Up Parades, the three one-shot issues; Glamour, Spectacular, and Charm, KK 3-d and finally both issues of Kasko Komics that feature Kitty Kasko.  Kitty Kasko is considered an early Katy prototype that Woggin produced for a grain and feed company.   My favorite of the series is the original 62 issue series.  Once I started picking them up, I found I really enjoyed the way that they glamorized the post-war 1950's with artwork of modern home styles, cars, and all other contemporary design of the 1950's. 

That is a fantastic collection of Katy Keene comics.  I just pulled out the few Pinup Parades I own and I think those are incomplete as well. Oh well.  My Katy collection is very small.  I like the Pinup Parades the best but the are always incomplete.  I have several issues of the series.  My favorite that I own is issue 37.  There is a fantastic witch splash page that I adore.  I have seen some of the interior of 62 and have always wanted to get a copy.  But it is a fan favorite cover swipe issue that is hard to grab.  One of the LCS had a copy and I still kick myself for not getting it.  It was a many, many years ago and he wanted about 50-60 dollars for it.

I only have one Katy Keene Fashion Book.  I like those alot.  The seller that I purchased from had a ton of Katy Keene titles.  I struggled with getting the Pinups vs the Fashion books.  I decided on the Pin ups to get closer to completing that title.  I think it is a pipe dream.  I do appreciate your doing page counts.  That will definitely help me with my future purchases.  One of the reasons it is so hard to collect her is the lack of data on the series.  KK Pinup 4 I purchased is so pretty.  The cover is stunning white with almost white pages.  You can not even see any missing pages.  Even following the stories and page numbers, it flows so that makes it difficult to figure out where anything was pulled out.  The other two Pinups I purchased from the seller, you can see where the pages were cut.  There are tell-tale page stubs sticking out if you look for them.