• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books - Harley Yee - Berkeley
3 3

210 posts in this topic

I had a friend have a side window of his vehicle busted out and all his purchases from the con he just attended stolen when he stopped at a Hard Rock Café to eat about 10 blocks from where the con was held. You have to think some people are making it a point to follow you and exploit any lapses on your part to leave your cashe un guarded or protected.

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Still a crime but minimized to the point where enforcement is basically zero and the frequency of the offense has increased significantly.

Again, that's not true. Property crime has remained pretty stagnant in California since 2014. https://www.ppic.org/publication/crime-trends-in-california/

Harley responded that the break-in was a disaster, but he is going to be OK.

Didn’t want to pry into insurance details and such, and he didn’t offer.

As others have prudently pointed out, hopefully he will be able to take more precautions in the future to prevent such an occurrence. 

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2019/02/16/property-crime-rates-test-san-franciscans-values

"San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes things like theft, shoplifting and vandalism, per inhabitant. In 2017 there were around 30,000 incidents of theft from cars, triple the number in 2010. “It feels like an epidemic because it is an epidemic,” says Leif Dautch, a young prosecutor who is running for district attorney in San Francisco. Some of those who have been victims complain that they are not taken seriously by the justice system. According to one report from 2016, charges are filed in a mere 2% of vehicle burglaries in San Francisco."

An average of 82 thefts from cars per day for 2017.

Can't find any stats to compare to 2018 to determine if there is a significant variance.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I don't see 2018 data shown on the tables.

Prop 47, the law that moved low-level property crimes down to a misdemeanor, was passed in 2014, so the expected change would be in 2015, 2016, 2017... It's probably still too early to collect complete statewide data for 2018, but I doubt it has gone up or down that much.

4 minutes ago, bc said:

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2019/02/16/property-crime-rates-test-san-franciscans-values

"San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes things like theft, shoplifting and vandalism, per inhabitant. In 2017 there were around 30,000 incidents of theft from cars, triple the number in 2010. “It feels like an epidemic because it is an epidemic,” says Leif Dautch, a young prosecutor who is running for district attorney in San Francisco. Some of those who have been victims complain that they are not taken seriously by the justice system. According to one report from 2016, charges are filed in a mere 2% of vehicle burglaries in San Francisco."

An average of 82 thefts from cars per day for 2017.

Can't find any stats to compare to 2018 to determine if there is a significant variance.

I would stress that a single year-over-year change shouldn't be looked on as gospel. Look at trends over years. 

On the second Tuesday of each month, Harley is at the Waffle House next to the Motel 6 on Hwy 49 in Hattiesburg between the hours of 6-8PM

harleywaffle1.jpg&key=3ad2035fc4c7722aac

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

Just got off the phone with Harley and he is a bit concerned that law enforcement is not handling the high value case as a priority. Once I explained the realities to him, he understands things a bit better. A detective is supposed to get back to him today with an update.

One complicating factor is that the break-in occurred in one jurisdiction while the three arrests (and recovery of 4 books) occurred in another jurisdiction.

Harley did express gratitude to everyone who has offered their support, back to work for him (as usual).

11 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

On the second Tuesday of each month, Harley is at the Waffle House next to the Motel 6 on Hwy 49 in Hattiesburg between the hours of 6-8PM

harleywaffle1.jpg&key=3ad2035fc4c7722aac

There's a special - if you order hashbrowns you get a Marvel Mystery thrown in for free!

40 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Just got off the phone with Harley and he is a bit concerned that law enforcement is not handling the high value case as a priority. Once I explained the realities to him, he understands things a bit better. A detective is supposed to get back to him today with an update.

One complicating factor is that the break-in occurred in one jurisdiction while the three arrests (and recovery of 4 books) occurred in another jurisdiction.

Harley did express gratitude to everyone who has offered their support, back to work for him (as usual).

Hopefully he gets everything back.

50 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Thanks for the update Steve! Glad Harley is ok and not harmed which is most important.  Hope he gets his books back soon too!

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

reported rates, not the same as actual rates.

Please show me something that says this is happening, that there is a recent underreporting of crimes after the passage of this bill. I'm giving you data and you're giving personal perceptions. 

6 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Please show me something that says this is happening, that there is a recent underreporting of crimes after the passage of this bill. I'm giving you data and you're giving personal perceptions. 

I am wrong and you are right, you are the smartest most brilliant person I have ever encountered, I am humbled by your superior intellect.  

22 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I am wrong and you are right, you are the smartest most brilliant person I have ever encountered, I am humbled by your superior intellect.  

It's difficult to have discussions with people when one comes with beliefs and the other comes with data. This is not my data, I only looked it up because you made a remark about decriminalization of petty crimes (which seemed to be untrue and it was). With every rebuttal, I have given you verifiable information and you have come back with opinion.