• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books - Harley Yee - Berkeley
3 3

210 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Is there a lesson to be learned (even for the smaller Con dealers) from the horrible experience.  I know I've stopped to grab a bite to eat while driving back up north from a Con and all my boxes where in the back of my SUV.  I did bring in the big ticket books into my room when I stopped overnight but didn't even think about the risk of theft while having dinner.  Are we to the point of needing to leave people in vans when people run into grab a bite to eat?

Time to start thinking about a window location at the restaurant with the vehicle parked right outside. It might not be the first choice of great food, but having your vehicle in eyesight to protect what’s inside Is something to consider.

I hope Harley gets everything back.

Edited by Catwomancomics

3 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

Time to start thinking about a window location at the restaurant with the vehicle parked right outside. It might not be the first choice of great food, but having your vehicle in eyesight to protect what’s inside Is something to consider.

I hope Harley gets everything back.

The thief has to know the value of what he is stealing. It's easy when it comes to jewelry and money,any shmuck knows there is value in those, but comics is a tight market, there is a vast difference in value from incredible hulk 324 and Amazing Fantasy 15.

When it comes to thievery look closer to home. Someone who has studied the market. When it comes to fencing stolen merchandise that's even hard, you have to prove the value of the product you are trying to fence, even than you only get 33 points on the dollar.

Whoever did this is a piece of s..., but it's most likely a piece of s... that knows the industry, they arent breaking into a car if they know all they are going to get is a knightfall run and maybe some back issues of fantastic four.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The thief has to know the value of what he is stealing. It's easy when it comes to jewelry and money,any shmuck knows there is value in those, but comics is a tight market, there is a vast difference in value from incredible hulk 324 and Amazing Fantasy 15.

When it comes to thievery look closer to home. Someone who has studied the market. When it comes to fencing stolen merchandise that's even hard, you have to prove the value of the product you are trying to fence, even than you only get 33 points on the dollar.

Whoever did this is a piece of s..., but it's most likely a piece of s... that knows the industry, they arent breaking into a car if they know all they are going to get is a knightfall run and maybe some back issues of fantastic four.

Sounds like a dealer..., 

Just now, lizards2 said:

Sounds like a dealer..., 

Or a collector..., 

If the thieves knew the industry they wouldn’t have tried to sell the stolen books to a dealer who was at the show.

They also would have cracked the books and sold them raw, as anyone who knows the industry understands cert numbers can be traced.

Thieves break into cars for a quarter on the front seat. A roller bag is a bonanza, regardless of contents.

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Just got off the phone with Harley and he is a bit concerned that law enforcement is not handling the high value case as a priority. Once I explained the realities to him, he understands things a bit better. A detective is supposed to get back to him today with an update.

One complicating factor is that the break-in occurred in one jurisdiction while the three arrests (and recovery of 4 books) occurred in another jurisdiction.

Harley did express gratitude to everyone who has offered their support, back to work for him (as usual).

Kudos to you for providing Harley with some solace and some of your professional guidance based upon your prior years of experience with law enforcement.  (thumbsu

Based upon the fact that they already have 3 of the fcking culprits in custody already, I hope they tightened the screws on them so that it leads the authorities to the rest of the gang and and to all of the stolen books.  :wishluck:

On 4/10/2019 at 4:56 PM, batman_fan said:

reported rates, not the same as actual rates.

How does one know what the unreported rates are if they aren't clairvoyant?

On 4/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

You're dancing over and around the politics line, which is not allowed on this board.

If there’s one thing I know about RMA, it’s that he always follows the board rules 

5 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

If there’s one thing I know about RMA, it’s that he always follows the board rules 

Yes. Indeed I do. Just because other people interpret those rules differently doesn't mean I don't follow them.

Of course, you couldn't resist taking a cheap shot, so...yay!

37 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. Indeed I do. Just because other people interpret those rules differently doesn't mean I don't follow them.

Of course, you couldn't resist taking a cheap shot, so...yay!

:jokealert:

Here are some Certification numbers from Harley. Unfortunately, many of the books were recent purchases from his “6 shows in 5 weeks” tour, and weren’t logged.

Ginger 4, 7.0 cert 1256511007
X-men 94, 8.0 cert 2013604001
Strange Tales, 110 4.5 cert 2013605004
Ironman 55, 8.5. Cert 2004504004
Wonder Woman, 103 9.0  cert 096259301

Worlds Finest 65, 5.0. Cert 1246555001

These were recovered:

Incredible Hulk 1, 3.0 cbcs Stan lee sig recovered
Incredible Hulk 181, 5.5 recovered

Detective 149, 8.0 recovered 
Action 20, 3.0 recovered