• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books - Harley Yee - Berkeley
3 3

210 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, wormboy said:

Update:

Our friend Uel from Fantastic Comics in Berkeley was the hero who helped recover the rest of Harley’s comics! 

He’s going to talk about it on his YouTube show Tuesday at 8pm Berkeley time.

youtube.com/fantasticcomics

Also, a huge thanks to Alan from Heroes in Campbell, who helped recover the first four books, and nab (some of ?) the thieves! 

It’s really Fantastic that we have Heroes in the community who worked together to make Harley whole!

Far from a cesspool.  Quite inspiring really.

9 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I just finished listening to the story on youtube.  I am glad Harley got all his books back (except one).  I doubt those three perps will see any jail time.

An hour and 20 minutes?  Sheesh - I have better things to do.  The first couple minutes are bumbling oaffery.

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

An hour and 20 minutes?  Sheesh - I have better things to do.  The first couple minutes are bumbling oaffery.

Agreed. Anyone who was bored enough to sit through that want to give a Coles notes version for the rest of us. There's a Like in there for doing it 😁

15 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Bums are hanging out front of the store smoking crack.

These 3 guys come in with two books. One is a CGC green label New Mutants 98. The shop owner doesn’t know what a green label is but recognizes it as being on Harley’s list. 

Bad guys go out to the car and bring in the other books. One is a romance book. That is funny. Call the cops, they don’t show up.

Shop owner’s brother gets the crooks’ ID and phone number before writing them a check. Bad guys leave. 

Call Chase bank to stop the check. Bad guys show up at the bank to cash the check. Call the cops, they don’t show up.

Bad guys return to the store. They are all bigger than the shop owner. Call the cops, they don’t show up.

Shop owner has $100k In books. Harley comes in the next day and shakes his hand.

Things are a bit fuzzy after that.

Dude, I love California! Unicorns rule!! :cloud9:

Word is that they don't intend to prosecute.

16 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Bums are hanging out front of the store smoking crack.

These 3 guys come in with two books. One is a CGC green label New Mutants 98. The shop owner doesn’t know what a green label is but recognizes it as being on Harley’s list. 

Bad guys go out to the car and bring in the other books. One is a romance book. That is funny. Call the cops, they don’t show up.

Shop owner’s brother gets the crooks’ ID and phone number before writing them a check. Bad guys leave. 

Call Chase bank to stop the check. Bad guys show up at the bank to cash the check. Call the cops, they don’t show up.

Bad guys return to the store. They are all bigger than the shop owner. Call the cops, they don’t show up.

Shop owner has $100k In books. Harley comes in the next day and shakes his hand.

Things are a bit fuzzy after that.

Dude, I love California! Unicorns rule!! :cloud9:

You sir/madam are a hero.   Thank you!!!!!

Is Harley completely off the grid?  His website has been down for years and the only time I get to see him is at the local Motor City CC.  Tried contacting him via that email about 3 months ago never had a response.  Wish he maintained a better online presence.

3 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

How I remember it.  Close to the above, with a couple minor differences.

The 2 books they brought in were the green label NM and the Romance.  Tell crooks they are not too interested in Romance book, but the NM might be something.

Crooks say they have a bunch of other books.

The crooks went to go get the other books, took them about 20 minutes or so to return.

Owner call Harley and tells him he may have his books, while crooks are gone

Harley first asks if the AF 15 is in there.  Owner says he is waiting on them to return.

Crooks return with other books.  They are Harleys.  Owner notices 3 copies of IH 181 right off the bat.

Store gives them a check for $2500.  Crooks leave.  Store calls bank to cancel the check.

Store calls cops.  Cops don't show.

Crooks come back to store to say the bank confiscated check.

Store owner's brother goes to the bank with crooks.  Owner has friend trail them to the bank, to keep tabs.

Chase calls store, owner explains what is happening

Bank explains to crooks that anything over $2000 has a hold placed on it.

Brother gets ID and phone number and crooks leave

Cops show up 4 or so hours later

Harley comes in next day and retrieves books.  Gives owner IH 181 CGC 4,5 as reward.

Dude!!!

16 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

How I remember it.  Close to the above, with a couple minor differences.

The 2 books they brought in were the green label NM and the Romance.  Tell crooks they are not too interested in Romance book, but the NM might be something.

Crooks say they have a bunch of other books.

The crooks went to go get the other books, took them about 20 minutes or so to return.

Owner call Harley and tells him he may have his books, while crooks are gone

Harley first asks if the AF 15 is in there.  Owner says he is waiting on them to return.

Crooks return with other books.  They are Harleys.  Owner notices 3 copies of IH 181 right off the bat.

Store gives them a check for $2500.  Crooks leave.  Store calls bank to cancel the check.

Store calls cops.  Cops don't show.

Crooks come back to store to say the bank confiscated check.

Store owner's brother goes to the bank with crooks.  Owner has friend trail them to the bank, to keep tabs.

Chase calls store, owner explains what is happening

Bank explains to crooks that anything over $2000 has a hold placed on it.

Brother gets ID and phone number and crooks leave

Cops show up 4 or so hours later

Harley comes in next day and retrieves books.  Gives owner IH 181 CGC 4,5 as reward.

i sure hope these crooks don't come back to the guys shop and tear up the place for what they might perceive as "pulling a fast one on them."