• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Seller RB3Comics

22 posts in this topic

Hi All

Is anyone familiar with Ebay seller RB3Comics? I bid on a Beware 10 3.0 and hammered at a decent price. Seller cancelled transaction just 3 days after I purchased the book (I was out of town but that's a short time frame to cancel). My guess is he didn't like the hammer price so reneged. First time that's happened to me in 15 years of Ebay buying. Anyone have any experience with this seller? Are Ebay sellers just arbitrarily allowed to cancel if they don't like the price the book sold for? Not happy about it.

That happened to me recently with a different seller - lower priced book for me,  

I have never heard of the seller but here is his instagram feed https://www.toopics.com/rb3comics/ (shows his name) showing his selling of the Beware and the Mysterious Adventures #6 (I tracked that one).  He won that book in the CL auction for $1,945 and it sold on Ebay for $1,901.

I wonder if he cancelled that one too.  

That's pretty lousy.  Have you messaged the seller to 'splain his reason for cancelling, and reminded him that the closed auction represented a contract between the two of you, which he has apparently reneged on?

I'd really get into his face.

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

That happened to me recently with a different seller - lower priced book for me,  

I have never heard of the seller but here is his instagram feed https://www.toopics.com/rb3comics/ (shows his name) showing his selling of the Beware and the Mysterious Adventures #6 (I tracked that one).  He won that book in the CL auction for $1,945 and it sold on Ebay for $1,901.

I wonder if he cancelled that one too.  

And he still has the Beware on CL for $2.5K

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsubsection.asp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26id%3D1060%26f1%3DListDate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.VolumeNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.Condition%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1312720

Curious what you won the book on eBay for?  OK, I see it; 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beware-10-Frank-Frazetta-Horror-cover-CGC-3-0-/382877768951?hash=item59254b1cf7%3Ag%3AkSkAAOSwKgtcn5NS&nma=true&si=c6zxIcTD7J8tSHLHAfKM87NQmEc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

He's trying to get almost $800 more on C-Link.

And you could contact Comic-Link, relate what occurred, and ask them to pull his listing, since the book was sold to you, even though he reneged.

This guy looks like a real dirt bag.  He apparently used a shill account to bump the bidding up from a legitimate $888 to $1500; https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/382877768951?item=382877768951&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

The shill account has only bid with him... :eyeroll:

Edited by fifties

Thanks for the advice (and amazing detective work)! I suppose its enough to warn others not to do business with shady characters.  Ebay frankly should be more proactive about reprimanding sellers that do this.

It has happened to me several times. Such a crappy feeling. You feel so powerless. But in this day and age, you can get a little revenge if you want. St the very least, leave him a well worded neg on the bay.

I start out auctions at the very least I will take and let it ride. If it doesn’t sell you are not hurt. If it goes for more, even better. 

Thanks for letting us know.

yeah, I was the under bidder on that Mysterious Adventures.  I saw that it was the book from the recent CL auction that I also bid on.  I was only willing to bid up to the CL sales price because I didn't want to play into his quick-flip.  Sorry you didn't get the Beware, such great book.  

Edited by Black Bat

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I start out auctions at the very least I will take and let it ride. If it doesn’t sell you are not hurt. If it goes for more, even better. 

I do the same. I never saw the point in "Reserve Price", feels like a waste of everyone's time if the target price isn't met. 

8 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

I do the same. I never saw the point in "Reserve Price", feels like a waste of everyone's time if the target price isn't met. 

Oh, there's indeed a value to a reserve price auction; it gives a potential seller an appraisal at a very low cost.  That's really what this clown shoulda done; set a hidden reserve at $2500.  

Edited by fifties

Huge disadvantage for all eBay sellers included myself.   I haven't used my eBay seller ID for three months - more likely lessens to use it this year due to excessive fees and lack of eBay Seller Protection.

I was frustrated with eBay Bid increment:   You can see the huge difference here.

eBay Bid increment (left column) vs ComicLink Bid increment (right column)  -  I can understand why several eBay sellers couldn't take the losses well.

588585127_ScreenShot2019-04-09at3_01_04PM.png.4500969a3d152dc71c57f22f832a87b5.png243621217_ScreenShot2019-04-09at3_01_38PM.png.56d1f07df6b9776497f1e1ab5f512d82.png

Edited by JollyComics

Looks like he used the same shill account to bump up  the Mysterious Adventures as well.

Yeah, that is a dbag move.  I would post something on his IG and your about all this reneging and the shill accounts.

14 minutes ago, fifties said:

Oh, there's indeed a value to a reserve price auction; it gives a potential seller an appraisal at a very low cost.  That's really what this clown shoulda done; set a hidden reserve at $2500.  

For me, if there is a price you want to have then do a BIN with best offer, but if you do an auction, in my opinion, there shouldn't be a reserve, defeats the point of an auction, there the market should set its price.  Granted still better then auctioning with no reserve and pulling it after.

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Huge disadvantage for all eBay sellers included myself.   I haven't used my eBay seller ID for three months - more likely lessens to use it.

I was frustrated with eBay Bid increment:   You can see the huge difference here.

eBay Bid increment (left column) vs ComicLink Bid increment (right column)  -  I can understand why several eBay sellers couldn't take the losses well.

588585127_ScreenShot2019-04-09at3_01_04PM.png.4500969a3d152dc71c57f22f832a87b5.png243621217_ScreenShot2019-04-09at3_01_38PM.png.56d1f07df6b9776497f1e1ab5f512d82.png

It may actually help you having the smaller increments, someone might not think its worth the jump of 100 bid increment but might think its worth 50$ more, then that person who they were trying to beat might think its worth that extra $25 or $50, so you get the $100 more you wouldn't have gotten from clink (and even more so with ha which has buyer's premiums on top of it.)

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Don't forget to leave him negative feedback on eBay...

He cancelled the transaction and I am not allowed to leave feedback now for some odd reason. Ebay does not make this easy (sort of like trying to give an uber driver a bad rating at one time).

19 minutes ago, bodhee11 said:

He cancelled the transaction and I am not allowed to leave feedback now for some odd reason. Ebay does not make this easy (sort of like trying to give an uber driver a bad rating at one time).

Maybe because the transaction was not completed?

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Maybe because the transaction was not completed?

I figured it out. you need to go to the VERY small link at the bottom for resolution center. Once there its easy and got a very nice rep on the phone in 2 minutes. 

39 minutes ago, gotpong said:

For me, if there is a price you want to have then do a BIN with best offer, but if you do an auction, in my opinion, there shouldn't be a reserve, defeats the point of an auction, there the market should set its price.  Granted still better then auctioning with no reserve and pulling it after.

It may actually help you having the smaller increments, someone might not think its worth the jump of 100 bid increment but might think its worth 50$ more, then that person who they were trying to beat might think its worth that extra $25 or $50, so you get the $100 more you wouldn't have gotten from clink (and even more so with ha which has buyer's premiums on top of it.)

I have no problem to buy books from eBay - mostly no sale tax and less money than any auction companies.  I USED to buy alot of books from Clink, CC, Heritage and other auction companies long before the sale taxes were added and bought very small handful of books ever since.

I used to outbid them but now I am outbid on almost all of them - all of the auction companies included eBay. I haven't won a single book in eBay since December.

8 minutes ago, bodhee11 said:

I figured it out. you need to go to the VERY small link at the bottom for resolution center. Once there its easy and got a very nice rep on the phone in 2 minutes. 

The seller may take advantage of you for not paying within three days to prevent the loss.

Edited by JollyComics