• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chances of seeing a Stan Lee Jack Kirby movie?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Was the movie "The Founder" about the history of McDonalds's and Ray Kroc starring Michael Keaton a success? Seems like something along the same lines as we are talking about here.

Edited by Jaylam

Such a film is inevitable.   There are many great roles.  An actor playing Stan would get to play Stan jumping on tables and acting out stories.   There's no obvious story arcs or endings, but there rarely are in biopics about entertainers and artists.

Edited by bluechip

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, Blastaar said:

Focus on the early 60's and then into the 70's. Would love to see this happen, not produced my Marvel. Maybe a small unbiased studio like Focus. 

Marc Maron from GLOW would be my pick for Stan.

Marc-Maron.jpg.b82d8b6a0ae5763b94d7ed8479113047.jpg

A good pick. But here's the guy, glasses on, or off, to play Stan. He even sounds and moves like him:

Barry.png

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:48 AM, TwoPiece said:

It's not a bad idea. It might be something that Marvel Studios (or whoever) might look to produce when the MCU hype dies down.

I don't think Marvel Studios would be right for this, BUT they would almost certainly need the rights tons of Marvel properties, so I don't think there would be any chance it wouldn't be a studio owned by Disney.  Fox Searchlight if they want to go indy-ish.  or just 21st Century Fox for more normal feature film?

I like this idea. I would see it! I never really thought about a Stan Lee movie until reading this thread. I would also like a movie about Bill Gaines. So much interesting material, particular in the 50's with the cultural shift to horror comics, the Senate hearings, the death of horror comics, the near-death of EC, then the rise of Mad. 

Very cool idea!

SUPPOSEDLY there are several extra Stan Lee cameo shots from MCU movies in the vault for possible use in future movies.... wouldn't it be weird to put a Stan Lee cameo into a Stan Lee movie?

On 4/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, Blastaar said:

Focus on the early 60's and then into the 70's. Would love to see this happen, not produced my Marvel. Maybe a small unbiased studio like Focus. 

Marc Maron from GLOW would be my pick for Stan.

Marc-Maron.jpg.b82d8b6a0ae5763b94d7ed8479113047.jpg

While he might be good in terms of getting a Stan Lee type look, Marc Maron is not really that type of actor. In pretty much every thing he does, he is playing himself. I doubt he would be a good fit but that is just my take.

Not sure this type of movie would have as broad appeal as some might think. I could see it as a Netflix type movie - and it could be entertaining as long as they keep it balanced character wise. Too much Stan Lee would ruin it for me. More interesting might be a movie about Jack Kirby's entire life-- with Stan having various stories interwoven from the early years and then during the Marvel silver age.

Maybe the problem I have with the whole concept is making that big of a connection between the two. They weren't inseparable or to be fair-- even contemporaries. As much as Stan took credit for other peoples work, it would seem to me like a slap in the face to see him being portrayed as being integral to the art Kirby created. If anything-- Stan would propose a story idea and Jack would start drawing it out. The story sort of wrote itself based on the panels Kirby produced-- though I would say that Stan was very good at writing and/or bringing life to those elements. I understand the need for Stan Lee-- I just do not hold him in high reverence as being some genius because it seems like many of his characters can be traced back to earlier work. As an writer and editor-- he was top notch for comic books. But he morphed into something else along the way- something he also did well and helped push Marvel to new places.

Making a movie out of that conflicting scenario seems difficult without slighting someone along the way.

More interesting-- if it could be made - might be a movie simply about Steve Ditko's life-- that would be a bizarre ride.

Marc Maron is not capable of the enthusiasm that Stan Lee brought to every moment, at least when he was in his prime. Maron is cynicism personified and cannot lose that vibe. He is excellent at what he does, but being Stan Lee is beyond his acting chops.