• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller legionofdoom_1

14 posts in this topic

Here's a doozy.  I saw this book on eBay, Witches Tales #8, one of my favorite Harvey covers, and one I've been looking to upgrade for awhile.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Witches-Tales-8-Mar-1952-Harvey-extremely-high-grade-/223467108759?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=RmfPku3l%2BVn4ghFvjSGsoxhFA7k%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

So this was listed as an "extremely high grade" copy, and looked very nice in the pictures.  But I noticed what looked like a piece of tape sticking out from the lower spine.  I asked the seller if it was tape and he replied "no tape at all".  It obviously looked like tape to me, so I asked him again.  He replied something like "Oh I do see tape, not sure why that's there. Its still clear so it seems like it's new."  So since he didn't know why it was there, I hoped it was perhaps a small tear or something, maybe i could even remove the tape.  Nope.  When the book came it was obvious that the entire cover had been separated from the book and reattached with multiple pieces of tape!  I immediately sent in a refund request, which the seller responded to immediately, granting my refund- like he was waiting by the computer with crossed fingers.   The kicker?  The original piece of tape I saw protruding from the bottom of the spine was gone when the book arrived!  Busted!  So sleazy.  Sucks because otherwise its a super sweet book, and I could have lived with a small taped tear. 

Photo1.png

Photo2.JPG

Photo3.jpg

Edited by Black Bat

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Did you read his feedback before bidding?  Several item never received or not as described.

Absolutely, and took a chance. I've taken chances before and had them pay off fine.  

Kinda feel I'm always taking a chance with raw books from eBay, win some lose some.  

But this was so ridiculously egregious.  

Edited by Black Bat

1 hour ago, Black Bat said:

Absolutely, and took a chance. I've taken chances before and had them pay off fine.  

Kinda feel I'm always taking a chance with raw books from eBay, win some lose some.  

But this was so ridiculously egregious.  

Yeah.  I wonder what they were smoking when the item was listed.

I just took a chance on eBay for a raw book.  We shall see.

12 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

what would be the maximum grade you could get from CGC for this book ?

Well, according to the Overstreet guide, the highest grade a book can get with a detached cover is 2.5. The cover of this book is re-attached with tape all the way up the interior of both sides of the book. This I believe would qualify as amateur restoration, but I'm not sure to what degree.  I estimate the rest of the book was at 7.5 - 8, although I didn't spend much time evaluating it.  If a book is higher grade, with one extreme defect, sometimes CGC gives a qualified grade- coupons clipped out, centerfold missing, etc.  So my guess would be a Qualified or Restored 7.5?  

Edited by Black Bat