• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed Book from Ebay? Need Opinons...

6 posts in this topic

So, I won this book about two weeks ago. Took a quick look at it when it arrived and thought I had a gem...solid 9.2 after a press IMO. I was cataloging and prepping to send it with others for a press and grading. Put it on the scanner and it wouldn't square up. Looked a little closer and it wasn't square.

I feel like a noob! I should have seen this obvious problem in the auction pics, but my excitement for the book clouded my judgement...I guess...:facepalm:

So, I think I have a basic understanding of book assembly and reasoned that a "tapered edge" through the whole book would be basically impossible. Please check out this book and let me know what you think.

20190410_153154.jpg

20190410_152735.jpg

20190410_152138.jpg

20190410_152524.jpg

20190410_152637.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:52 AM, The Lions Den said:

Comparing a book to other copies of the same book can be beneficial, but it can also be misleading. Just because the cut doesn't match up doesn't necessarily mean the book has been trimmed. In fact, many trimmed books appear to be nearly perfectly aligned...

+1  The comparison could serve to highlight and bring attention to potential trim. provide a tell for it. But that tell is not always conclusive, especially when based on physical size, which varies from issue to issue or centering, the placement of the art relative to edges, which also varies as an issue of production.

17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

+1  The comparison could serve to highlight and bring attention to potential trim. provide a tell for it. But that tell is not always conclusive, especially when based on physical size, which varies from issue to issue or centering, the placement of the art relative to edges, which also varies as an issue of production.

Thanks JJ. I recently saw a Silver Age book that made me suspect it may be trimmed, not because of any miscut, but because the edges look too sharp and straight for a book from that era...  (thumbsu