• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocket Raccoon 1-4 (mini series)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I recently finished this 1985 mini series written by Bill Mantlo. I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this read was. It was wacky, original, and entertaining. They say Mantlo was one of the best writers of this era, and I can totally see why. Weird to think that I probably never would have read this, or would even know who Rocket was if it wasn't for GOTG.

What an underrated character/mini series. 

250px-Rocket-raccoon-01.jpg

As a side note, it's good to see recent pictures of Mantlo smiling at the (depressing) rest home he lives in. 

bill-mantlo-bill-finger-award-2014.jpg

Edited by Darkowl

22 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Wow that sucks.  Stupid question but I wonder if he gets any residuals from Marvel/Disney with the success from GOTG? Probably not...

I wondered that too, but I doubt it since I'm pretty sure he doesn't own any of the rights. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Darkowl

4 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I wondered that too, but I doubt it since I'm pretty sure he doesn't own any of the rights. 

It would be a great PR show for them if they (Disney and maybe even Cooper) did something nice for the guy. Did he create RR?

Edited by Xenosmilus

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

It would be a great PR show for them if they (Disney and maybe even Cooper) did something nice for the guy. Did he create RR?

It really would be!

Yes! He and Keith Giffen created Rocket, and his creation was heavily inspired from the Beatles song Rocky Raccoon.

2 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

It really would be!

Yes! He and Keith Giffen created Rocket, and his creation was heavily inspired from the Beatles song Rocky Raccoon.

You know any boardies on here know how to get their attention LOL?  Like the guy who was dying and Disney let him watch Avengers Endgame early!

9 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

You know any boardies on here know how to get their attention LOL?  Like the guy who was dying and Disney let him watch Avengers Endgame early!

I know one boardie who is in the industry, but I don't know if he's in the right position to really do anything. A couple of guys from Marvel did make it possible for Mantlo to watch a screening of GOTG. 

https://www.geeksofdoom.com/2014/08/04/marvel-screens-guardians-of-the-galaxy-for-ailing-rocket-raccoon-creator-bill-mantlo

18 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Wow that sucks.  Stupid question but I wonder if he gets any residuals from Marvel/Disney with the success from GOTG? Probably not...

Residuals I don't know, but as I alluded to in the post above yours they paid him enough to improve his life considerably.

article on him being paid

On 4/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, RCheli said:

I suspect that a lot of his work is coming back into print because of the GOTG movie, so he's getting something.

I hope so! He certainly deserves it.

On 4/11/2019 at 12:49 PM, picon3 said:

For those not familiar with the Mantlo story, here's a link:  https://www.billmantlo.com/

Paul~

this link no longer works or is keeping me out at least.

edit: The other link leads to this about his story though.

https://www.cbr.com/my-name-is-bill-mantlo-i-want-to-go-home/

Edited by 01TheDude