• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facsimile comics being sold on eBay...

69 posts in this topic

Baseball card collectors have been dealing with this for years. In Mexico, there are companies that make plastic cases that are basically identical to those used by PSA (the baseball card equivalent of CGC). Scammers buy a legit card with a PSA high grade and crack the slab and resubmit the card. Then, they take the label from the cracked slab and use it with the fake case and sell the reprint card for the price of the original. Scammers will figure out a way to make a fake CGC case and insert one of these in it. And since you are so happy with your CGC 9.0 (or better). Avengers #1, there is no way you will crack open the fake case to realize you've been duped until the scammers are long gone. 

I agree with the early posters. This is a very bad thing.

I think it would be naive to think these counterfeits are not already out there being displayed as real. These will be artificially aged and damaged much like currency counterfeiters do. 

Any high end key book is suspect, especially raw. Even in a CGC case it could have a real label with counterfeit case.

par for the course in mass produced collectibles hitting 6 figures. 

27 minutes ago, PowderedH2O said:

Baseball card collectors have been dealing with this for years. In Mexico, there are companies that make plastic cases that are basically identical to those used by PSA (the baseball card equivalent of CGC). Scammers buy a legit card with a PSA high grade and crack the slab and resubmit the card. Then, they take the label from the cracked slab and use it with the fake case and sell the reprint card for the price of the original.

Wow.  :eek:

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I recall a post in the Selling "Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only", of someone selling these same books.  If I remember for like $150.

2 minutes ago, SamPool said:

I recall a post in the Selling "Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only", of someone selling these same books.  If I remember for like $150.

Wow, you're right! Last year sometime? I remember that too.

Now I have to find that post. 1st Appearance Pattysnakes? Pattysnakes Prototype?

Just now, Point Five said:

Wow, you're right! Last year sometime? I remember that too.

Now I have to find that post. 1st Appearance Pattysnakes? Pattysnakes Prototype?

I am talking about a few days ago..

3 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

The listing said it was a 32 page facsimile.  Must not contain all the ad pages?

It depends on what they're calling pages. If they include the covers, it's "36." If they're only referring to the interior pages, then it would be 32, and would include everything that the real book has.

36 minutes ago, Joosh said:

I think it would be naive to think these counterfeits are not already out there being displayed as real. These will be artificially aged and damaged much like currency counterfeiters do. 

Any high end key book is suspect, especially raw. Even in a CGC case it could have a real label with counterfeit case.

That is correct. Counterfeit copies have been known for years.

This X-Men #94, for example:

94Fake.jpg

..was encapsulated in December of 2008.

What surprises me is the boldness of this eBay seller, openly selling them on eBay for months with nary a care in the world.

2 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Deja vu...

21 minutes ago, SamPool said:

Found it..

Oh OK, cool. I never even saw this one. This fellow is a boardie and says that the inside pages of his copies are blank, so not precisely the same thing as the ebay fakes. I thought there may have been an older sales post that tracked with the ebay ones exactly, like they were doing a trial run on the boards... ring a bell anyone? Not sure though.

1 hour ago, PowderedH2O said:

Baseball card collectors have been dealing with this for years. In Mexico, there are companies that make plastic cases that are basically identical to those used by PSA (the baseball card equivalent of CGC). Scammers buy a legit card with a PSA high grade and crack the slab and resubmit the card. Then, they take the label from the cracked slab and use it with the fake case and sell the reprint card for the price of the original. Scammers will figure out a way to make a fake CGC case and insert one of these in it. And since you are so happy with your CGC 9.0 (or better). Avengers #1, there is no way you will crack open the fake case to realize you've been duped until the scammers are long gone. 

I agree with the early posters. This is a very bad thing.

You don't have to fake the CGC case, just buy any $20 modern slab.

If ever someone gets a real grail then devises a way to open the cheap modern CGC slab, and reseal it, with one of these grail "facsimiles", ugh! 

1 hour ago, Sal said:

the logical end to this particular path is the death of the hobby as a going concern for all but a few people.  it's nearly apocalyptic if not dealt with at some point

For peace of mind reasons, I've decided to avoid all keys and all popular books and only collect dead titles like Rom and Micronauts that no one would bother counterfeiting. Call it the "Jon Voight's Car" model of collecting.