• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facsimile comics being sold on eBay...

69 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/sch/pattysnakes/m.html?item=254192649040&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This can't be good. Apparently, someone with access to an industrial printer is printing up these "facsimiles" and selling them. First, I can't imagine that these are legal, or that permission was obtained from the IP owners. Second, the prices these are being bid up to...for essentially made to order reprints...will only encourage the manufacture of more, and serve as vehicles for the dishonest to defraud the gullible.

Not good.

And, naturally, all the listings are "private bidding."

Yeah, this is horrible. We'll be seeing these books in circulation forever, as eventually some of the suckers that battled shill accounts to win them will be trying to flip them through their own accounts. What a mess.  :facepalm:

On the bright side though: There's never been a better time to be a trusted third-party comic grading service! :whee:

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Is there any way for someone to buy an industrial printer from the 50s/60s and essentially reprint a complete clone of these comics? 

I think these things were large pieces of machinery that cost a fortune and filled a warehouse. But probably so if they wanted to spend six figures doing it

If someone was a printer, and wanted to do these on the side, it wouldn't be that difficult. As PF said, it's a good time to be a third party grading service.

All I can say is "report, report"...this seller's been operating for months, if not longer. 

If you want to sell replicas...get permission, and mark them as replicas. Selling a replica...a modern reprint...of AF #15 for $500....? Starting at $100? You're not being honorable, regardless of the excuse of "well, I didn't force people to bid!"

48 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
55 minutes ago, zeezee said:

But why would anyone pay more than the paper its printed on for this let alone $500.00 ?

To defraud people down the road.

BINGO!  or rather Bungholes...,

Ugh.

TBH, if I was a loser (not saying that I'm not one), I'd buy one to show to friends/family that don't know any better.

Then my POS aunt couldn't criticize me about working in customer service for 5 years.

"Take that, B! I have one of the best-condition first appearances of Spider-Man!"

1 hour ago, Cliff R. said:

The listing said it was a 32 page facsimile.  Must not contain all the ad pages?

What are the odds of accuracy in what could best be described a scam? 

Marvel probably needs to send out some mooks to deal with these mooks.