• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facsimile comics being sold on eBay...

69 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

You don't have to fake the CGC case, just buy any $20 modern slab.

If ever someone gets a real grail then devises a way to open the cheap modern CGC slab, and reseal it, with one of these grail "facsimiles", ugh! 

Probably why CGC made the new gen slabs the way they did. You have to pretty much destroy it to open it. 

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

:whatthe:

You take that back! You take that back RIGHT. NOW.

:cry:

:foryou:  Was going to go with "Alf and Micronauts" at first. But some counterfeiter out there may be cranking out Alf #48s even as we speak.

12 minutes ago, Point Five said:

For peace of mind reasons, I've decided to avoid all keys and all popular books and only collect dead titles like Rom and Micronauts that no one would bother counterfeiting. Call it the "Jon Voight's Car" model of collecting.

I'm eyeing a run of Micronauts 25-35 with "authenticated" Stan Lee signatures. they're only $120 a pop. :wishluck:

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sold for $501?!!

I've never used this emoji before, but now's the right time... :facepalm:

Well, since the auctions are private, we have no means to ascertain whether those bids are legitimate. They could ALL be shills in an attempt to salt the mine as it were, and sucker in somebody to drop a fraction of that amount thinking they were getting  bargain.

55 minutes ago, Point Five said:

For peace of mind reasons, I've decided to avoid all keys and all popular books and only collect dead titles like Rom and Micronauts that no one would bother counterfeiting. Call it the "Jon Voight's Car" model of collecting.

Sienkiewicz has some pretty ROM covers I wouldn't mind adding to my collection in high grade.  Maybe I can get someone to counterfeit some for me.

5 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

but now's the right time... 

To pay $501 for a reprint if you think you have a potential buyer waiting for a "deal" on an AF 15 for "only" $10,000. I haven't seen one of these in person, but it looks to me like there's a significant amount of potential to defraud a hobby novice or impulse/gift buyer. I haven't a clue as to how or why they are able to circumnavigate eBay's rules about selling unauthorized knocks offs. Which is what this is. Clear cut copyright infringement.

I saw the public domain ones and thought they were cool for what they are. And I believe they were only ten bucks, which is a little steep for a single issue reprint these days, but could be a cool gift for a kid or an older relative or even for the comic collector who seems to already have everything

Seller is only 40min from me. Description mentions Motor City Comic Con with nothing else...odd.

Too bad there’s no local pickup option. 

Ill admit I would like to own one and pretend I was reading an AF15. I imagine it won’t smell old enough.

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

Seller is only 40min from me. Description mentions Motor City Comic Con with nothing else...odd.

Too bad there’s no local pickup option. 

Ill admit I would like to own one and pretend I was reading an AF15. I imagine it won’t smell old enough.

You could probably replicate that easy enough with lots of sunshine and maybe the fumes from dropping a ball of foil into a bottle or muriatic acid or something 

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

hm

1182171849_ScreenShot2019-04-12at10_40_56PM.thumb.png.950c0dff6700ee67a1b34837de702945.png

lol

Looks like the AF 15 was pulled as were most of the others. Not sure why this one is still running but off to report it as well.

From his description section, edited:

"On April-11-19 at 16:36 PDT, seller added the following information:

MAKE ME AN OFFER BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE".

Looks like he saw the handwriting on the wall.